Cycling

Featured Posts

23 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Do they bring you cakes as you cruise past?

Never for me, though to be fair the banks are a little too high for close communication [and you are not supposed to get too close to the top edge anyway, due to the undermining by the rabbit population].

I am told that some make a fortune from dredging the riverbed for all the lost golf balls.

5 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Now that is very very true. The missus and I tuther night were trying to work out what would be our worst nightmare so called holiday. Top four on our list were One of those cruise ship monstrosoties, Las Vegas, Florida/Disney land and a golfing holiday :cheers:

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/onboard-activities/goofys-sports-deck/

So three of them on the same boat would not be ideal then?

Personally I do not see any reason as to why cyclists should be required to purchase insurance and pay tax to ride on the road, surely it will mean that it is going to lead to those unable to afford to cycle being criminalised if caught? However, I most certainly take issue with those cyclists riding on pavements and blatantly riding through red lights!

27 minutes ago, JeffNev said:

Personally I do not see any reason as to why cyclists should be required to purchase insurance and pay tax to ride on the road, surely it will mean that it is going to lead to those unable to afford to cycle being criminalised if caught? However, I most certainly take issue with those cyclists riding on pavements and blatantly riding through red lights!

You could apply the same 'logic' to young drivers

38 minutes ago, JeffNev said:

That is a fair point but more people are going to be reliant on bicycles to move from A to B in cities.

What about outside the cities ? Distances in rural communities are a lot greater than in cities and cycling isn't always possible

1 hour ago, JeffNev said:

Personally I do not see any reason as to why cyclists should be required to purchase insurance and pay tax to ride on the road, 

I am not sure about the tax side of it, but a quick google shows me I can get £2,000,000 third party insurance for the princely sum of £11.20 per annum.

Surely that is affordable and removes the risk of the cyclist injuring somebody and then not being able to pay for damage/compensation etc.

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, Jerra said:

I am not sure about the tax side of it, but a quick google shows me I can get £2,000,000 third party insurance for the princely sum of £11.20 per annum.

Surely that is affordable and removes the risk of the cyclist injuring somebody and then not being able to pay for damage/compensation etc.

Precisely. Other vehicle owners have to insure their vehicles. A cycle is a vehicle and is often involved in accidents and occasionaly kills people so they should be insured. Everything in life costs something and you just have to decide what you are doing with your limited resources and if a vehicle is involved then it needs insurance to protect others.

4 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Precisely. Other vehicle owners have to insure their vehicles. A cycle is a vehicle and is often involved in accidents and occasionaly kills people so they should be insured. Everything in life costs something and yeou just have to decide what you are doing with your limited resources and if a vehicle is involved then it needs insurance to protect others.

Agreed, continuing from my previous list, the following should also be insured:-

8.Skateboards

9.Prams

10.Pogo sticks

11.Kite surfers

12.Kayaks and Canoes.

4 minutes ago, Señor Chris said:

Which shows that the risk is so low that making it compulsory would be completely disproportionate.

Or proves just how affordable it is for people to take responsiblity for their vehicle and method of transport.

Just now, rusty69 said:

Agreed, continuing from my previous list, the following should also be insured:-

8.Skateboards

9.Prams

10.Pogo sticks

11.Kite surfers

12.Kayaks and Canoes.

The difference is You Eeeeeeeeeeejut that non of those are vehicles but a bicycle is as defined by law :D

1 minute ago, Jerra said:

Only if it isn't your child who is maimed in the freak accident.

Yes and try asking Kim Briggs kids about that.

4 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

22. E-Bikes

at what point does an e-bike stop being a bike and become a moped that requires a license etc.?

They must do know more than about 15mph or sommett iirc and there is a max power size of the motor. Google is probably your friend.