Cycling

Featured Posts

Looks like the government is contemplating new cycling laws. It will probably never happen but if it does they also should bring in compulsory insurance and road tax for cyclists and also ban them from riding ten abreast, 30 odd inline on roads unless it is a sanctioned cycling event and the road has been closed to other traffic.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/strong-case-for-death-by-dangerous-cycling-law-–-study/ar-BBK2RVq?li=BBoPRmx

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, pete.i said:

It will probably never happen but if it does they also should bring in compulsory insurance and road tax for cyclists and also ban them from riding ten abreast, 30 odd inline on roads unless it is a sanctioned cycling event and the road has been closed to other traffic.

As a cyclist, I'm absolutely with you here. Then when we pay, we can ban motorists from driving on roads, which would give us the space to ride 10 abreast. We could also ride in packs of 100, 200 or even a thousand, and, it wouldn't need to be a sanctioned cycling event as the roads would already be closed to traffic, apart from cyclists :-)

But as you've said, it will probably never happen! 

7 hours ago, pete.i said:

It will probably never happen but if it does they also should bring in compulsory insurance and road tax for cyclists

I see no harm in compulsory insurance as long as it is proportional to the risk that the cyclist poses (ie. far less than the risk a motorist presents) but a bike "tax" that is in line with cars would be zero rated, as that is what the lowest emission cars pay anyway.

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Keep death off the roads. Ride on the path...

I'd rather be hit by a cyclist on the path than hit a cyclist in my car.

Bike insurance is readily available and very cheap. Any sensible cyclists that I know have it this includes my daughter her husband and their eldest sprogg who cycle in Bristol, you would be a numpty not to. It only needs to be third party to cover anyone you hit/injure so obviously all cyclists will want it anyway being responsible people. :ninja:

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

Walking insurance should also be made compulsory, especially if said walker is using

1.shopping trolley 

2.umbrella

3.mobile telephone. 

4. Funny walk

Still an eeeeeeejut :)

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Walking insurance should also be made compulsory, especially if said walker is using

1.shopping trolley 

2.umbrella

3.mobile telephone. 

4. Funny walk

49 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

5. Hot beverage 

6. Young child 

7.Set of golf clubs 

Now I can see a walker using most of these items when walking....but the set of glof clubs? If one uses a set of golf clubs, one becomes a golfer, not a walker hence golf playing insurance is then required.

3 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Now I can see a walker using most of these items when walking....but the set of glof clubs? If one uses a set of golf clubs, one becomes a golfer, not a walker hence golf playing insurance is then required.

Our boat got hit by a golf ball a few years back (seriously). It hit the side of the boat very hard. Mrs Rusty was at the front of the boat, the golf ball missed her head by about 2ft.

PS Have you ever seen someone carrying a set of golf clubs in a bag on their back. Bloomin accident waiting to happen. 

1 hour ago, Dr Bob said:

And, let's be fair, playing golf is a waste of a good walk :-)

1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

Our boat got hit by a golf ball a few years back (seriously). It hit the side of the boat very hard. Mrs Rusty was at the front of the boat, the golf ball missed her head by about 2ft.

PS Have you ever seen someone carrying a set of golf clubs in a bag on their back. Bloomin accident waiting to happen. 

Sorry to hear your boat got seriously hit by a golf ball.

2 hours ago, Kev's Halcyon said:

And, let's be fair, playing golf is a waste of a good walk :-)

Now that is very very true. The missus and I tuther night were trying to work out what would be our worst nightmare so called holiday. Top four on our list were One of those cruise ship monstrosoties, Las Vegas, Florida/Disney land and a golfing holiday :cheers:

1 minute ago, NigelMoore said:

Never happened to me, though I have moored several times alongside Sudbury golf course. Other clubs do exhort golfers to take care over this though -

Our boat was moving at the time.Another foot or so,and the ball may have hit Mrs Rusty in the head.

27 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Our boat was moving at the time.Another foot or so,and the ball may have hit Mrs Rusty in the head.

And I presume that sort of thing must have happened enough times at the photo's location, to prompt the necessary signage.

Edited by NigelMoore