Wartime (1944) Canal Photos

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

Great photos, my favourite is the one with the girl making a cuppa, fag hanging from her mouth just ready to add to the flavour.  Real people, not a snowflake in sight...

• Greenie 1

16 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

A really nice collection, thanks for posting.

Agreed. Kept me interested for ages.  Some of the shots of sheeting up showed the boatwomen in some precarious postions on the top planks. Not sure I would fancy that.

5 minutes ago, jake_crew said:

I feel I should know who the lady who appears in pictures is.

Also, this emblem on the Ovaltine butty interests me.

Is it a boat of some sort ?

What does AV stand for ?

'AV' is actually 'AW' and stands for A. Wander Ltd., the name of the manufacturer of Ovaltine

Great collection of photos showing how the idle women really worked. Amazing that they still dressed in skirts and heeled shoes! 

Pity some of the images are reversed I began to think that some boats had chimneys on the right side until I realized. 

Good shots of the old pub at Buckby bottom.

34 minutes ago, Dav and Pen said:

Great collection of photos showing how the idle women really worked. Amazing that they still dressed in skirts and heeled shoes! 

Pity some of the images are reversed I began to think that some boats had chimneys on the right side until I realized. 

Agree with you, lovely collection of cottages, I see the wrought iron sign still remains, as said, detail in the pictures really good, looks like a Spitfire in one of the Stoke Bruerne ones.

1 hour ago, LEO said:

They have been doing building work on what was The Spotted Cow for a year or so and I did hear a rumour that it could be re-opened.  I couldn't see that working out unfortunately.

Something along the lines "Crikey!" I would imagine, as they ran for the door; yet the crews survived (and to be fair, during WW2 they had more serious dangers to worry about).

What is that white thing on the right with the little window and the perforations? Some sort of paraffin stove?

Edited by Athy

I'm no expert, but would say both the vertical stoves are simple paraffin affairs, not pressurised, just with a wick.  Not unlike the things my dad used as greenhouse heater.

They don't look particularly stable, or certainly not by the time they have a large pan on top, and he one on the left is s close to the cabin woodwork it would scare me.

What people who have nt experienced back cabin life don't always realise is that whilst the range is intended to be the cooker, running a range in an 8 foot cabin on a summer day is almost unbearable.  So it was tempting to cook and boil kettles on something else, either something like these, or perhaps a pressurised Primus type.

Our weapon of choice when the range is not on is the Meths fired Origo stove.....

70700.jpg

45 minutes ago, Richard T said:

What a great set of images. It needs someone to negotiate rights and publish the best in a book with good captions. The negatives look like 2 1/4in square so would take enlargement to book size.

Many of course have already been published multiple times.

However this is the first time I have seen anything like so many.  Obviously quite a few are very similar, and I guess someone has been able in the past to select the best one for each particular theme - sheeting up, life in the back cabin, etc., etc.

3 hours ago, Athy said:

Something along the lines "Crikey!" I would imagine, as they ran for the door; yet the crews survived (and to be fair, during WW2 they had more serious dangers to worry about).

What is that white thing on the right with the little window and the perforations? Some sort of paraffin stove?

Both are paraffin boiling rings, the one on the left looks to be in regular use judging by the blackened areas behind it. 

Some really lovely nostalgic photos in this link - thanks for sharing. 

Some great photos on the Stoke Flight including this one 

https://artsandculture.google.com/asset/canals/ZAGGwiVkStxZNg

Looking up from the Long Pound to Lock 15, with the white double arched bridge (53) in the background, the roof of the Navigation Farmhouse and the chimney of the 'Tommy Shop' besides the lock.

2 hours ago, Richard T said:

What a great set of images. It needs someone to negotiate rights and publish the best in a book with good captions. The negatives look like 2 1/4in square so would take enlargement to book size.

I am not sure there is enough subject matter for a publication, and I imagine sorting out the rights would be a nightmare. There would also be the matter of who would buy a publication based upon these images when they are all available online :captain:

We used tilley pressure stoves right up until 2001and indeed the second one went with thaxted in her sales inventory. Intrinsicaly safe if maintained but you do need to make sure range was out becore putting on top of hotplate. Only remember once having to hurl flaming tilley out of cabin doors