Wigan Flight 10 week trial

Pie Eater

Featured Posts

On 30/03/2018 at 18:35, ditchcrawler said:

The subject of this trial was mentioned at the AWCC AGM last week, it was felt to be a big improvement on the last effort.

The lock keepers on the flight say that the new system is a lot better and makes it easier to monitor the water levels in the pounds.

CaRT have put notices throughout the area notifying boaters of the trial.

1 hour ago, Pie Eater said:

The lock keepers on the flight say that the new system is a lot better and makes it easier to monitor the water levels in the pounds.

CaRT have put notices throughout the area notifying boaters of the trial.

Mentioned at the AWCC AGM very positively, unlike the last attempt

Came up Wigan flight again today - a late decision yesterday (in the pub!)  

We always calculate 3 hours down and 4 hours up the locks, and were exactly on that again today.  Henhurst lock at 8 AM, sat waiting in top lock to be unlocked off the flight at noon. 

Two boats, 3 people.  Breast 'em up and work the paddles!  If the boats are stationary you are wasting time :D

Crossed over two boats coming down a bit over halfway up the flight, plenty of water due to the much complained about transit time windows.  We think it's a great idea, and so do all the volunteer and paid lockies.

From Wigan dry dock to Castlefield basin is either 3 locks and 21 miles, or 213 locks and 164 miles.  The scenic route includes several festivals and seemed a good idea after a couple of pints ...

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Aguila said:

Nothing to padlock at Crooke. The lock doesn't have any gates! 

Poolstock and Ell Meadow both do so perhaps they're padlocking one of those ? 

Ell Meadow, Pagefield and Poolstock top are being locked.

6 hours ago, Aguila said:

Nothing to padlock at Crooke. The lock doesn't have any gates! 

Poolstock and Ell Meadow both do so perhaps they're padlocking one of those ? 

You are right and I was just referring to the place not the lock name and number.

• 4 weeks later...

Just to add to the above, the locks will be open later in the day between 12.30 and 1.30 for exit. This gives a maximum time of five hours to complete the flight which can be a bit tight depending on conditions. I'm going down on Tuesday morning with another boat so fingers crossed!

1 hour ago, Nick D said:

Just to add to the above, the locks will be open later in the day between 12.30 and 1.30 for exit. This gives a maximum time of five hours to complete the flight which can be a bit tight depending on conditions. I'm going down on Tuesday morning with another boat so fingers crossed!

Volockies there most days and even more likely with only one locking a day. I wonder how much water it will save 

14 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Volockies there most days and even more likely with only one locking a day. I wonder how much water it will save 

I really struggled (along with the CaRT chaps) to get through locks 72/73. Leakage was horrendous-as fast as they ran water down to get me off the bottom of the lock chamber so we could get the gates shut most of it ran away through the lock behind. So Im guessing putting all the boats through in a narrow window is going to help a bit. I did like the rubber tacked onto one of the gates in an effort to stop it leaking a bit farther up..