Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sir Nibble

Nerve agent attack in Salisbury

Featured Posts

19 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

There is a big difference between right-wing and right-leaning.

I don't believe politics is left and right, it is more like a big circle.

When you get to extreme left and extreme right they seem to simply merge together in a non democratic alliance.

George

I find this article by Dennis Pratt interesting:

“Left” versus “Right” can be difficult to define.

I like to look at the “State of World Liberty”. It measures countries along the dimension of “freedom” versus “authoritarian”.

Each country is scored on two measures:

• Economic Freedom: who owns your labor and product of your labor
  • Personal Freedom: who owns your body

I mapped those scores below, with the X axis being Economic Freedom and the Y axis being Personal Freedom. (The Left-Right dimension is the violet line at -45 degrees.)

main-qimg-056f7cbf2263f4260c0c5cdca0ff4a28

Notice that the scores are highly correlated — as countries increase freedom in one dimension, they tend to increase freedom on the other dimension.

Here is the same graph, without the explanatory colors and identifying those countries that venture out of that centrist area:

main-qimg-7672e11237aae26a5a6a05e07d4730af-c

We find three countries in the “Left” quadrant (Micronesia, Kiribati, Argentina) that have low economic freedom but relatively high personal freedom. But if you look into the libertarian quadrant, you can see many more countries that could be dropped onto that Left-Right dimension (Barbados, Finland, Netherlands, as well as the larger groups [A] and [C}.) These are better thought of as libertarian countries, but they also would be more leftist than centrist.

There are a few countries that are clearly in the lower right quadrant (Singapore, UAE, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia), that have high economic freedom but low personal freedom. However, three countries in the Authoritarian quadrant that could be dropped onto that Left-Right line and not be Centrist (Erita, Uzbekistan, Laos), but these are more correctly thought of as Authoritarian.

State of World Liberty then averages the two scores to collapse them onto the green Enslavement-Freedom dimension at +45 degrees. It then ranks all the countries from 1 to 180 along that line.

To create the colored map below, the rankings were subdivided into quintiles. (So quintile 1 contains countries ranked 1–36 in overall freedom.) Each quintile is assigned a color. The colors, in quintile order from most free to most authoritarian, are:
* Quintile 1. Blue
* Quintile 2. Green
* Quintile 3. Yellow
* Quintile 4. Orange
* Quintile 5. Red

main-qimg-293b6382c3538ea6b2b42c2fd599c289

The Most Free Countries (2016):
1. New Zealand
2. Switzerland
3. Canada
4. Australia
4. Ireland
6. Finland
6. Netherlands
6. Denmark
6. Chile
6. Luxembourg

The Most Authoritarian Countries (2016):
180. North Korea
179. Syria
178. Eritrea
177. Turkmenistan
176. Cuba
175. Venezuela
174. Libya
173. Uzbekistan
173. Iran
173. Equatorial Guinea

(Aside: US is ranked #19)

1 hour ago, billS said:

I find this article by Dennis Pratt interesting:

“Left” versus “Right” can be difficult to define.

I like to look at the “State of World Liberty”. It measures countries along the dimension of “freedom” versus “authoritarian”.

Each country is scored on two measures:

• Economic Freedom: who owns your labor and product of your labor
  • Personal Freedom: who owns your body

snip

Interesting graphic etc. Any idea how the % freedoms are calculated? I'd be pretty sure I own my body outright but maybe that is an illusion.

What I do know is that I calculated when my personal tax freedom day was last year - 18th August (assuming the tax year starts on 1st April), so I work 20 weeks for HMG before I can put a scrap on the table and that is without including VAT, fuel & alcohol duties etc.

1 hour ago, billS said:

main-qimg-056f7cbf2263f4260c0c5cdca0ff4a28

The origin of that graphic is clearly American - notice the use of red for "conservative" and blue for "liberal", and the spelling, as is the author, one J Patrick Rhamey Jr, of the Virginia Military Institute. I would suggest that his view may not be entirely dispassionate, living as he does in that last bastion of freedom (provided you are white) the State of Virginia.

19 minutes ago, KevMc said:

I work 20 weeks for HMG before I can put a scrap on the table and that is without including VAT, fuel & alcohol duties etc.

:lol::lol: Did you use no public services at all until after 18 August last year, then?

Edited by Machpoint005
'cos of the spelling

33 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

:lol::lol: Did you use no public services at all until after 18 August last year, then?

I did indeed ... I was just trying to see if my tax freedom day equated in any way to the % economic freedom.