Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sir Nibble

Nerve agent attack in Salisbury

Featured Posts

20 minutes ago, Sir Nibble said:

First thing, deport those damned meerkats!

Theres always a couple lurking in Coronation street, Weatherfield. The government doesnt seem to care a jot about it, bloomin disgusting.

The BBC drama 'McMafia' may or may not be representative of the way the Russian mafia families operate, but it seems likely that the Russian government sponsors the actions of some factions in preference to others, and thereby runs a campaign by proxy.

• Greenie 1

Why would anybody bother with nerve gas when a knife or a vehicle will do the job less conspicuously? 

14 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

Why would anybody bother with nerve gas when a knife or a vehicle will do the job less conspicuously? 

Why do the Ruskies want to do it less conspicuously? Mr Putin wants to be able to deny it.

One thing about the whole affair tht puzzles me is why the BBC keep describing this poor chap as a "double agent". 

A "double agent" is someone who gets themselves employed as a spy whilst actually in the employment of the supposed target state, in order to feed duff info to the state tht thinks s/he is working for them. 

Mr Skripal was just a single agent. AIUI. 

Well all I can say is those bxxxxx Russian agents have a nerve!

Oh, so THAT’S what a nerve agent is!

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

One thing about the whole affair tht puzzles me is why the BBC keep describing this poor chap as a "double agent". 

A "double agent" is someone who gets themselves employed as a spy whilst actually in the employment of the supposed target state, in order to feed duff info to the state tht thinks s/he is working for them. 

Mr Skripal was just a single agent. AIUI. 

He was working for both Russian military intelligence and British intelligence which by my calculations makes him a 'double'.

Tony Blair only recently amended capital punishment to life imprisonment for treason against Britain by British nationals. This Russky was a traitor to his country and because of a spy swap, may have believed he had escaped the ultimate justice.  Until now.   But apparently he knew he was on borrowed time.  Shame his family were caught up in the dirty business though.

5 hours ago, Irob said:

Tony Blair only recently amended capital punishment to life imprisonment for treason against Britain by British nationals. This Russky was a traitor to his country and because of a spy swap, may have believed he had escaped the ultimate justice.  Until now.   But apparently he knew he was on borrowed time.  Shame his family were caught up in the dirty business though.

Not just his family.....

1 hour ago, Wanted said:

I've been found unconscious on a bench in Salisbury several times in my youth, never once did it make the news.

The home of Summer lightning.

• Love 1

33 minutes ago, Sir Nibble said:

The home of Summer lightning.

The original home, now moved to Downton. 

7 hours ago, Irob said:

I’m sure I heard on the news he had a son who had died in suspicious circumstances? 

1 hour ago, Goliath said:

I’m sure I heard on the news he had a son who had died in suspicious circumstances? 

I think his wife also. The police have cordoned off their graves in Salisbury. Shame for the police officer, hope he, and they can recover. Dirty spy business. But if its a complex toxin then it only points the finger more firmly at Putin again. Nobody needs a Cold War revival. 

4 minutes ago, Irob said:

I think his wife also. The police have cordoned off their graves in Salisbury. Shame for the police officer, hope he, and they can recover. Dirty spy business. But if its a complex toxin then it only points the finger more firmly at Putin again. Nobody needs a Cold War revival. 

Read anything by the journalist Anna Politkovskaya to find out about Putin. Her books are a good read. She must must have hit some truths because she was shot in 2006.  Not the only journalist to be bumped off either, there was one more recently but I forget his name. 

3 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Not the only journalist to be bumped off either, there was one more recently but I forget his name. 

Dai Young? He was Welsh as well (wrong thread?).

• Happy 1

9 hours ago, Irob said:

Tony Blair only recently amended capital punishment to life imprisonment for treason against Britain by British nationals.

Not completely correct. Capital punishment was finally abolished, full stop, on 20 May 1998 when the House of Commons voted to ratify the 6th Protocol of the European Convention on Human Rights prohibiting capital punishment except "in time of war or imminent threat of war" and IIRC it was a free vote in the House of Commons. 

Parliament is prohibited from reinstating capital punishment whilst the UK remains a signatory to the ECHR.

16 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Why do the Ruskies want to do it less conspicuously? Mr Putin wants to be able to deny it.

We don't yet know if it was anything to do with the Russkies. 'Balance of probability' isn't enough where criminal acts are concerned. 

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

17 hours ago, system 4-50 said:

Putin wants to give a message to all prospective agents that 'Justice' will allways be done.

3 minutes ago, artleknock said:

Putin wants to give a message to all prospective agents that 'Justice' will allways be done.

Unlikely. He could easily achieve that with more subtle methods that don't upset a host country. 

Vested interests (Russian? American? Both?) want to make sure Trump does not succeed in creating a thaw in tensions between Russia & the West that would reduce the need for military spending and powerful armies. Where better than in Britain where we have a huge arms industry. 

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, system 4-50 said:

Unlikely. He could easily achieve that with more subtle methods that don't upset a host country. 

I think you credit Putin with subtle discretion which he does not have.  Russia will be shown to be responsible, and Putin will claim he knows nothing about it - must have been the mafia.   Watch this space.

4 hours ago, Irob said:

the son was cremated.  I expect the wife's body will be disinterred and tested for radioactive poisoning.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, system 4-50 said:

Vested interests (Russian? American? Both?) want to make sure Trump does not succeed in creating a thaw in tensions between Russia & the West that would reduce the need for military spending and powerful armies. Where better than in Britain where we have a huge arms industry. 

Putin is a dictator and a bully, he thrives on throwing his weight about. He will get worse and worse until someone has the guts to face him down. As Churchill is quoted as saying, "You can't negotiate with a Tiger when your head is in his mouth".