Vintage engine

tz55uk

Featured Posts

We have an industrial HA2 in our distressed engine pile. Because it is an industrial engine it has no gearbox and doesn't have the gear cover to carry one. The usual way for such an engine is to fit a PRM gearbox on the flywheel end, and a kit is available to do that

Richard

7 minutes ago, tz55uk said:

Ideally I'd like something with gearbox and ready to just drop in and go and looks nice

Yes, that's what we would be offering

8 minutes ago, tz55uk said:

6 hours ago, tz55uk said:

Where is the best place to find a Lister or equivalent vintage engine with gearbox etc as the one I was getting was sold yours andy

http://www.primrose-engineering.co.uk/

The guy there Richard knows way more about them than random people on the forum, and probably has a HA2 for sale with a PRM gearbox attached, looking shiny and ready to install.

Edited by TheBiscuits

Whilst a bit of asking around may yield quite a few HA, HB or HR engines around, unless your skills are greater than mine,it is very hard to tell the difference between one in very good order and one in very tired condition.

When we were looking, and eventually bought an HA2, we went to see quite a few.  All would start easily, and all would run off load without making a lot of smoke.  However I know I have an HA3, currently awaiting overhaul at a boatyard, and whilst that will do exactly the same, (start easily, and run off load not making much smoke), I know from before it came out of our boat, it almost certainly needs pistons and bore work.

Unless you can see an engine actually in a boat, and doing serious work, it is hard to know what you are getting I think.  Obviously if it is sold as fully rebuilt, (preferably with a warranty), and good evidence of the completeness of that rebuild, it should be better, but you still need to tread carefully.  Unfortunately even then I would be nervous if genuine Lister spares had not been used, and the rebuild had relied on Indian copy parts.  Unfortunately a lot of what is now sold as branded Lister, by Lister agents is the latter.  Obviously its not all bad stuff, but some of the clone parts don't even look like Lister originals when the two are put side by side.

Top here is a UK made Lister piston, bottom is Indian copy.  Note how far first oil ring is from the face of the piston - these are not identical parts!

IMG_1968.JPG

Edited by alan_fincher

OK Mike thank-you for asking . And Alan yes very much agree I'm not going to rush buying and will view as much as possible and getting good info is a must . I was in touch with a place down south real diesels I recall and they have a ha2 fully refurbished and a new prm gearbox but 6K abut of a shock lol. I'm having all new bathroom and my hot water system fitted at minute and then paint shop booked in August so I'll either put something in just before or after the paint. 

Top here is a UK made Lister piston, bottom is Indian copy.  Note how far first oil ring is from the face of the piston - these are not identical parts!

IMG_1968.JPG

I'm not arguing that some of the Indian parts available on the market are only really good for paperweights, as I have seen many examples (The victor JP head gaskets for starters, that look OK but are normally around 0.030" too thick so you can never get the piston to head clearance correct) However the comment with this photo is a little misleading because as far as I can tell from the photo the top piston is an earlier piston with 3 identical compression rings (parallel sided) and the lower is a copy of the later pattern piston which has a wider keystone type top compression ring which on the originals is also closer to the crown of the piston.

I'm not arguing that some of the Indian parts available on the market are only really good for paperweights, as I have seen many examples (The victor JP head gaskets for starters, that look OK but are normally around 0.030" too thick so you can never get the piston to head clearance correct) However the comment with this photo is a little misleading because as far as I can tell from the photo the top piston is an earlier piston with 3 identical compression rings (parallel sided) and the lower is a copy of the later pattern piston which has a wider keystone type top compression ring which on the originals is also closer to the crown of the piston.

Fair enough!

You guys are the experts.

The person showing these to us, and giving the explanation, also claims to be one of the experts, so I repeated his explanation in good faith.

If he is wrong, I apologise.

People who are reasonably expert in a subject rarely if ever claim that title. Once you know enough about a subject for others to perceive you as an 'expert', you can usually see how much you don't know, and regard yourself as anything but. 

• Greenie 1

People who are reasonably expert in a subject rarely if ever claim that title. Once you know enough about a subject for others to perceive you as an 'expert', you can usually see how much you don't know, and regard yourself as anything but. 

My point exactly.

My point exactly.

My Mother used to say it was rude to point.

My Father told me the reality of being put on a pedestal is it only takes a small step to fall off it.

My older sister repeatedly said "Mum! .... he's doing it again."