Iced in AGAIN!

magictime

Featured Posts

This is getting silly now... I got permission to overstay on a visitor mooring back in January to give myself a full four weeks to recover from brain surgery... then had to ask to extend it because my balance was still slightly 'off'... then couldn't move the boat last weekend due to being iced in courtesy of 'the beast from the east'... then woke up this morning with every intention of moving on today, only to find that the 'pest from the west' had struck overnight! The enforcement officer has been fine about it, and the boat is stuck in the best possible location (about 15 minutes' walk from our house), but how bizarre to be in this situation for the second time in March... we're just barely in the 'winter mooring' period!

1 minute ago, magictime said:

This is getting silly now... I got permission to overstay on a visitor mooring back in January to give myself a full four weeks to recover from brain surgery... then had to ask to extend it because my balance was still slightly 'off'... then couldn't move the boat last weekend due to being iced in courtesy of 'the beast from the east'... then woke up this morning with every intention of moving on today, only to find that the 'pest from the west' had struck overnight! The enforcement officer has been fine about it, and the boat is stuck in the best possible location (about 15 minutes' walk from our house), but how bizarre to be in this situation for the second time in March... we're just barely in the 'winter mooring' period!

Been quite balmy today. we had quite a bit of sunshine so did a couple of hours and now out in the wilds. Nothing even resembling ice on this canal. Where are you? Russia?

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Been quite balmy today. we had quite a bit of sunshine so did a couple of hours and now out in the wilds. Nothing even resembling ice on this canal. Where are you? Russia?

We had 4" of snow this morning.  The Met office were still predicting light sleet for an hour when it was 2" deep.

I'm glad we moved the boat yesterday in glorious sunshine.  How long was your summer meant to last - was yesterday it?

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

We had 4" of snow this morning.  The Met office were still predicting light sleet for an hour when it was 2" deep.

I'm glad we moved the boat yesterday in glorious sunshine.  How long was your summer meant to last - was yesterday it?

You are all in the wrong area :D its fab ere and only two other boats moved all day. Deffo the best time to boat...........need to tie up securely for a few days over easter.

1 minute ago, magictime said:

Yesterday would have been a lovely day for cruising here too (West Yorkshire, not Russia!) but sadly it wasn't an option. D'oh!

Ahh West Yorkshire. Unfortunately I know it too well. Most of it makes Russia look a peaceful place to live :giggles:

The Express said the 'pest from the west' was due this weekend. What we had last night was something different......but then it doesnt look like the weekends 'pest' will be anything to write home about, or if you are already at home, write to someone else.

Bit wet and windy this morning in Warwickshire......hence boredom set in again.

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

Hmm, this is beginning to look a bit too unlikely to be purely weather related.  Have you checked whether you've accidentally turned your fridge up to "11"? ;)

I wish we had... We opened the freezer door today and the stench of death alerted us to the presence of two bags of meat that were in there when we bought the boat and that we'd completely forgotten about before switching the fridge-freezer off over the winter! :blush::sick:

Edited by magictime

10 hours ago, magictime said:

I wish we had... We opened the freezer door today and the stench of death alerted us to the presence of two bags of meat that were in there when we bought the boat and that we'd completely forgotten about before switching the fridge-freezer off over the winter! :blush::sick:

Ah, then it'll be the frosty looks from "the management" that's freezing the water around you! :D

5 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Ah, then it'll be the frosty looks from "the management" that's freezing the water around you! :D

When we set off this morning sun was out and there was a film of ice ( nearly ) ont canal. I would guess that it was very approximately 1/32 thick. Parked up now and only one other boat has moved all day. Absolutely fab time to be moving.

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

When we set off this morning sun was out and there was a film of ice ( nearly ) ont canal. I would guess that it was very approximately 1/32 thick. Parked up now and only one other boat has moved all day. Absolutely fab time to be moving.

Just under 1mm thick then!

Pouring down here now! It's coming your way.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

When we set off this morning sun was out and there was a film of ice ( nearly ) ont canal. I would guess that it was very approximately 1/32 thick. 

4 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Just under 1mm thick then!

I thought the forum wanted Imperial units because there are no sensible real-world applications of metric! 

2 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

I thought the forum wanted Imperial units because there are no sensible real-world applications of metric! 

Get thy self over to the Brexit thread (which is itself, I suppose, imperial). 

46 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Get thy self over to the Brexit thread (which is itself, I suppose, imperial). 

Its REALITY innitt :) Its the UK so obviously its imperial

We quote our weight and height in Imperial

We have all road signs and distances in miles

we drive in miles per hour

In the great British pub we buy Pints or halves or thirds not silly Johny foreigner stuff

Trousers are sold by waist and leg inches

There is not enough room on this forum to list all the facts that mean we use Imperial innitt :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Which is precisely why I used Imperial....................what the heck is a mm? You will have me laughing in a minute telling me there are nine hundred and fourteen point four mms in one yard next!! :rolleyes:

4 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Its REALITY innitt :) Its the UK so obviously its imperial

We quote our weight and height in Imperial

We have all road signs and distances in miles

we drive in miles per hour

In the great British pub we buy Pints or halves or thirds not silly Johny foreigner stuff

Trousers are sold by waist and leg inches

There is not enough room on this forum to list all the facts that mean we use Imperial innitt :rolleyes:

Which is precisely why I used Imperial....................what the heck is a mm? You will have me laughing in a minute telling me there are nine hundred and fourteen point four mms in one yard next!! :rolleyes:

A mm is how thick the ice was this morning.:P