Batteries (6v T105s)

churchward

Featured Posts

12 hours ago, churchward said:

I'm pretty sure I'm going to order 3 or 4 of the Exide batteries that Tony, (Brooks), has used successfully for some time:

Just to make it clear that I do not recommend them. I post about them to counter some of what looks to me very much like over evangelising then virtues of Trojans.  I am also not convinced about the life time cost benefit either, especially in the hands of "typical" boaters. However those self same "typical" boaters would wreck the Exides as readily as Trojans.

31 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Just to make it clear that I do not recommend them. I post about them to counter some of what looks to me very much like over evangelising then virtues of Trojans.  I am also not convinced about the life time cost benefit either, especially in the hands of "typical" boaters. However those self same "typical" boaters would wreck the Exides as readily as Trojans.

Understood - as far as I am concerned, you merely made me aware of their existence. I'm still procrastinating over what to do, but the Exides are definitely in the frame.

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

That's odd the the quote in your post attributes it to me but it was Richard10002 who said it!

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

That's odd the the quote in your post attributes it to me but it was Richard10002 who said it!

It happens when the person who replies copies text from what is already a quote. I have copied from Mike's post so the quote is now attributed to him.

3 hours ago, churchward said:

Its true I highlighted your text in Richards quote and selected quote, I never thought the forum software would not be capable of attributing the quote to the person who originally wrote it.

57 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Its true I highlighted your text in Richards quote and selected quote, I never thought the forum software would not be capable of attributing the quote to the person who originally wrote it.

Not a problem I was just curious.

On 3/8/2018 at 11:47, luggsy said:

How things have changed I bought 6 Trojans 6v T105 3 years ago ( next week ) of tayne for £605 delivered 

I bought 6 6v t105's around 2 1/2 years ago and with the "introductory" discount paid £586 including delivery from battery megastore ... certainly wouldnt like to replace them now! 

Just to balance the mix i have 3 125amp 12volt numax batteries in my motorhome and they are on their 3rd year and still seem as good as new for capacity.

Rick

Edited by dccruiser

8 minutes ago, raymondh said:

Think you may find that Powerline batteries are not as thought 

Poweline batteries is a dormant company owned by Tanya so poss that batteries are far east rebadged in Wales not genuine Trojan sold at a lower price

Time will tell

Ray

Does anybody other than Tayna sell Powerline? I recall that there is another brand that Tayna seem to recommend when you are looking at a Battery, (Enduroline?). I’ve never seen those sold elsewhere either.

It looks to me that Powerline is a brand name owned by Tayna. It appears pretty certain that the Powerline Trojanoids are made by Trojan. I would think its almost certain tat the other batteries in the Powerline range are not made by Trojan.

There is a lot of Trojan literature and specifications on the www, some of which is confusing and conflicting. My best guess is that the Trojan T105 is produced in three grades with different cycle life.The T105 that is generally available is the "middle" grade and I would guess that the Powerline is the "bottom" grade. I don't know the balance between reduced cost and reduced cycle life so don't know if the Powerlines are good value for money.

I find it hard to believe that Trojan make this black Trojanoid just for Tayna so I would guess that they are available under other names from other distributers in other parts of the world. It is quite possible that Tayna have negotiated to be the sole distributor in the UK.

................Dave

32 minutes ago, raymondh said:

Think you may find that Powerline batteries are not as thought 

Poweline batteries is a dormant company owned by Tanya so poss that batteries are far east rebadged in Wales not genuine Trojan sold at a lower price

Time will tell

Ray

Not so.  Trojan do make the powerline T105 batteries how ever they are labelled and will freely admit so.  Where they are made I could not say, trojan batteries are made in a variety of factories around the world.

I suspect though that they are made for a variety of markets and leave the merchandiser to label/brand them. I can find other examples of T105 (which is a Trojan proprietry model not a std type) can be found.

What evidence do you have for what you say?

17 minutes ago, dmr said:

It looks to me that Powerline is a brand name owned by Tayna. It appears pretty certain that the Powerline Trojanoids are made by Trojan. I would think its almost certain tat the other batteries in the Powerline range are not made by Trojan.

There is a lot of Trojan literature and specifications on the www, some of which is confusing and conflicting. My best guess is that the Trojan T105 is produced in three grades with different cycle life.The T105 that is generally available is the "middle" grade and I would guess that the Powerline is the "bottom" grade. I don't know the balance between reduced cost and reduced cycle life so don't know if the Powerlines are good value for money.

I find it hard to believe that Trojan make this black Trojanoid just for Tayna so I would guess that they are available under other names from other distributers in other parts of the world. It is quite possible that Tayna have negotiated to be the sole distributor in the UK.

................Dave

I think this is correct.  A few searches online I have found other brands selling T105 batteries that look the same except for the label.

I only really care if they work properly myself. Time will tell if that is so but I thought it worth a punt. I will be able to directly compare to Trojan branded ones as I have a set of those too. So far (although not enough time to tell anything really) they are behaving the same as the Trojan versions.

I find it a bit odd although it is interesting to see the "power of the brand" in action with people willing to post negative comments without having any real information or direct experience of the batteries. These batteries of course may prove to be no bargain in the end but unless one has been there done that no one actually knows.

I think there may even be 4 (or more) types of Trojan T105s  with a variety of differences ranging from post configurations/types, water feed systems and one that seems to be specifically for solar and other renewable systems a T105RE. What all that adds up to I don't know it may just be marketing jigery-pokery.

Edited by churchward

Yes,there are lots of terminal post options and two or three different design of cap. There are also T125's and T125+ (and a Powerline T125) which (I think) the dsame size as a 105 but with a bit more capacity.

It occurs to me that the Powerlines are shipped directly in bulk to Tayna so Trojan probably save on warehousing and distribution, there is no marketing cost, and the support and warantee claims are probably the responsibility of Tayna so it could be a very good saving for Trojan.

Strange things happen, it was not so long ago that Barrus introduced the Shanks range of engines to undercut its own Shire range, though I think they lived to regret that one.

..............Dave 

Trojan batteries are only made in two plants in the USA with a reserch facility in Ireland

I do not believe they would bypass the UK distributor to deal with a small oulet in Wales with a profuct that sells for less 

Tanya get all there Trojans from the distributor in Trafford Park Manchester who have exclusive rights to Trojan distribution in the Uk

I would ask for proof thst Powerline batteries are in fact Trojan manufactured, does not make sense to me 

Ray

12 minutes ago, raymondh said:

Trojan batteries are only made in two plants in the USA with a reserch facility in Ireland

I do not believe they would bypass the UK distributor to deal with a small oulet in Wales with a profuct that sells for less 

Tanya get all there Trojans from the distributor in Trafford Park Manchester who have exclusive rights to Trojan distribution in the Uk

I would ask for proof thst Powerline batteries are in fact Trojan manufactured, does not make sense to me 

Ray

The following is a post from another thread about the same batteries.!

On 28/02/2017 at 15:52, larryjc said:

As I was looking at replacing the batteries in my new boat and I've used Trojans successfully before, I looked at the Tayna website and was quite taken with the Powerline equivalents as four of them work out at £100 less.  I also noted the posts on here where some people were using the cheaper ones and others had possible concerns.  Being someone wot likes to know for sure I emailed Trojan and then after an interesting reply, invested in a phone call to the US.

Firstly they are made by Trojan - hooray!  They said that they are made on the same production line and subject to the same quality tests etc.

BUT they are quote 'more akin to a T605' and when I spoke to them on the phone they confirmed that they are the same capacity as that model and its 210AH as opposed ot 225.  So Tayna are being slightly conservative with the truth in marketing them as direct T105 equivalents.  I did speak to Tayn afterwards - politely - and they say they will look into it as they 'buy them from a third party'  and advertise them in good faith.    Mind you the loss of 30 AH against the saving of a hundred quid has to be considered.  I reckon I will use about 100- 120 AH per day so they should never really go below  65-70%.

Thought peeps might like to know.

All I know so far is that they were a good price compared to the Trojan ones and they are performing as one would expect in comparison. But of course very early days as yet and I expect only to know more after 12 months of use. They may prove to be a bargain they may prove to be a bad buy. I am at least prepared to have a go rather than dismiss them on account of the wrong label. I don't mind if they prove to be more like T605s.

1 hour ago, dmr said:

Yes,there are lots of terminal post options and two or three different design of cap. There are also T125's and T125+ (and a Powerline T125) which (I think) the dsame size as a 105 but with a bit more capacity.

It occurs to me that the Powerlines are shipped directly in bulk to Tayna so Trojan probably save on warehousing and distribution, there is no marketing cost, and the support and warantee claims are probably the responsibility of Tayna so it could be a very good saving for Trojan.

Strange things happen, it was not so long ago that Barrus introduced the Shanks range of engines to undercut its own Shire range, though I think they lived to regret that one.

..............Dave 

for some reason the T105RE is a bit heavier too according to specs but does not seem to be available in the UK or at least I can't find it.  They also do an AGM T105 rather than FLA.

Making products in the same place for different markets and levels is a common theme among all sorts of manufactures. It may not always work as they intended but for many it does.

The car market is full of examples (the outer skin looks different but underneath they are very similar such as the cars in the VW group all sharing components, chassis etc. 

Marketing is a wonderful thing and it is fascinating what you can get people to believe.

Edited by churchward

for some reason the T105RE is a bit heavier too according to specs but does not seem to be available in the UK or at least I can't find it.  They also do an AGM T105 rather than FLA.

Making products in the same place for different markets and levels is a common theme among all sorts of manufactures. It may not always work as they intended but for many it does.

The car market is full of examples (the outer skin looks different but underneath they are very similar such as the cars in the VW group all sharing components, chassis etc. 

Marketing is a wonderful thing and it is fascinating what you can get people to believe.

I can confirm that Powerline are not manufactured by Trojan as I and others suspected

Hiwever this does not mean they are poor quality or good vfm

Reply by Trojan to me asking the question to Wil Scotson at Trojan Europe

"can confirm that they are Not Trojan, Trojan are always Maroon in Colour, I will bring this up with Tayna as I know the guys there and it’s a little bit naughty if they are telling customers that they are Trojan."

Ray 

I can confirm that Powerline are not manufactured by Trojan as I and others suspected

"can confirm that they are Not Trojan, Trojan are always Maroon in Colour, I will bring this up with Tayna as I know the guys there and it’s a little bit naughty if they are telling customers that they are Trojan."

Ray 

Actually that is not what your quote says.

They are not Trojan because they are not maroon. No one is saying they are Trojan in terms of being labelled as such but that they are MADE by Trojan and labelled as something else. Odd that the Trojan people in the US confirmed that these batteries were/are made by Trojan.

If I am told by one person that they have  emailed Trojan in the US as posted above and confirmed with a phone call to the US manufacturer that they are indeed made by them and on the other hand told by someone else that the have emailed a European Office of said company who should I believe? 

How would you explain the thread and post I quoted above?

Edited by churchward

Ray 

Big companies are complicated entities and this sub-contract manufacturing (if it exists) might not be widely known across the company, or it might be a secret that can not be revealed, or the man you spoke to might think that its a secret that must not be revealed.

I can think of numerous examples where I have spoken to a big company more than once and got a different answer each time depending upon who I speak to.

................Dave