CRT Licensing Review final report

TheBiscuits

Featured Posts

29 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Degrees Celsius make perfect sense.

we have been happily buying diesel by the litre for decades.

Easy enough to imagine a 1.8-metre bloke.

Perhaps, but the name doesn't: the very sensible term "centigrade" seems to be getting replaced by "Celsius", which I assume refers to a chap who invented it and whom no one has ever heard of.

Yes, but we still speak of fuel consumption in "miles per gallon".

I don't find it easy. I can imagine a six-foot man but I would have to calculate how tall a 1.8 metre man was.

Similarly I can visualise what a 12-stone person looks like but, although I could work out how much a 50-kilogram person weighed, the term would not give me an instant mental picture.

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

"Celsius", which I assume refers to a chap who invented it and whom no one has ever heard of.

Really?

The term Celsius ,rather then Centigrade ,was used when I went to school which was a long while ago. 

6 hours ago, KevMc said:

No no no and again no. Tell me what is sensible about metrication?   Tell me a metric measurement that makes sense in the real world.

It sure does in aeronautical engineering units in 10's or multiples of 10 not all different fractions of measurement & seen the other dayb an advert for carpet priced by the square yard but sold by the square metre

13 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Really?

The term Celsius ,rather then Centigrade ,was used when I went to school which was a long while ago. 

I'm mildly surprised by that, but my point was about the terminology rather than the chronology.

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Imagine a hole (say an air vent), with an open area of 24,000 square millimetres. 

Can you? 

Really??!

No, but I can easily imagine one of 240 square centimetres, because the units are more appropriate.

• Greenie 1

56 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Do you still convert £p to £sd?

I bet he doesn't . 

I do understand that some imperial units are handy - and also they remain in common use . Miles for travel distances . Inches - eg diameter of wheels /tyres (although the width of a tyre is in metric , Feet - as in lengths. of boats ,and of course Pints of beer (that is one I like very much).

But new roads are certainly not built in miles. Ask anyone in the UK to construct a building , a road or a bridge in imperial units and you will receive blank looks as the construction industry went metric way back in last century ,in 1972.   ......... That is well over 4 decades ago (oops a century and a  decade are decimal measures being groups of 10 and 100 . Would it be easier if we were counting years in dozens).

17 minutes ago, Athy said:

I'm mildly surprised by that, but my point was about the terminology rather than the chronology.

Because of confusion over different terms the use of Celsius was internationally adopted, rather than centigrade ,  in 1948 (according to Wikipedia). Celsius himself lived in the early 1700's as did Fahrenheit. 

In practice I believe Fahrenheit was used for weather reports - and I do recall that - but  has not generally been used in the UK since the end of the 20th Century. I may be wrong but think the USA still uses Fahrenheit . 

The fact the people incorrectly use centigrade is a good example of common communication often not following correct scientific and engineering terminology.

My mother in law could not deal with anything other than Fahrenheit but she is in her mid 90's and struggles with most technology that was not in use before the war.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Yes, but we still speak of fuel consumption in "miles per gallon".

Miles per gallon is an example of a conversion requiring two stages.

I can cope with one conversion, say miles to kms, or gallons to litres.  As soon as you require me to incorporate both in a single transaction the difficulty is MORE than doubled.  An example which I need to use frequently is ton/mile into tonne/km (in relation to freight movement).  Does my head in.

Do others think the same?

George

2 minutes ago, Tuscan said:

If CRT are reading this thread they will be pleased that boaters seem unconcerned about the changes beyond whether metric or imperial measurements are used

There is nothing that we can do about the change  so may as  well discuss something else .

2 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

If these proposals are supposed to be revenue neutral where are the people who will have savings in their licence fees?

Certainly not me, not only will it go up in 2019 by 3% inflation, it will also go up by losing 5% of the 'early payment discount' I have been used to for the last 10 years.

5 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Certainly not me, not only will it go up in 2019 by 3% inflation, it will also go up by losing 5% of the 'early payment discount' I have been used to for the last 10 years.

2.6 As a result of this change in 2019, which will affect the majority of boaters (as around 75% receive the Prompt Payment Discount), the Trust intends to freeze the basic licence fees in 2019, subject to confirmation of underlying inflation later in the year.

I thought it went without saying it means  an overall 5%  increase for everyone - on top of any inflationary increase .

5% of a full size narrowboats fee is more than 5% of my 33ft cruisers fee. 

1 hour ago, MartynG said:

I thought it went without saying it means  an overall 5%  increase for everyone - on top of any inflationary increase .

5% of a full size narrowboats fee is more than 5% of my 33ft cruisers fee. 

No, it means a 5% increase for 75% of us, with no inflationary increase unless inflation takes a big jump in the next six months or so.

19 minutes ago, BruceinSanity said:

No, it means a 5% increase for 75% of us, with no inflationary increase unless inflation takes a big jump in the next six months or so.

I should have said  a minimum 5%.

3 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

No, but I can easily imagine one of 240 square centimetres, because the units are more appropriate.

If you buy an air vent grill, you'll find the 'free area' marked on it in mm2

Centimetres are not a 'preferred unit'. We are expected to use millimetres and metres.

4 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

If these proposals are supposed to be revenue neutral where are the people who will have savings in their licence fees?

The extra income is soaked up with the additional administration needed to cope with the substantially increased complexity. 

So yes, net revenue neutral.

37 minutes ago, BruceinSanity said:

Effectively  a 5% year on year increase plus the annual increase which will no doubt be applied

10 minutes ago, Tuscan said:

Effectively  a 5% year on year increase plus the annual increase which will no doubt be applied

Apart from where CRT said they won't be adding an inflation increase if base inflation stays the same.

So instead of them adding 3 - 3.5% they have removed 5% of the prompt payment discount for the 75% of boaters who take it, and zero change for the 25% of boaters who presumably can't afford to prepay 12 months. 

So what we are really complaining about here is about 1.5%.

That is fifteen quid on a £1000 licence, or nine quid on the average £600 licence for those of us that can afford to prepay the whole licence.  How very dare they.

Edited by TheBiscuits
  • Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, Tuscan said:

As has been pointed out above, to offset the reduction in the discount, the basic price is planned to be frozen for 2019.