commissioning water system after long lay up

Featured Posts

Hi,

I have just refilled the water system on our boat after it has been laid up/winterised for app 3 years and all is/was well with no leaks, I left it alone for 2 hours at least and the pump didn't re-pressurise but when I closed the doors to the cup'd where the pumps are (one system for hot and one for cold), there was a very slight sound which sounded very much to me like an escape of air not water - there is no sign of any moisture even on a very close inspection so lets assume its air from the accumulators?? 2x Shurflo 181-203

Do I simply replace them, are they serviceable, or could it be something else.

All help gratefully received, particularly if its a quick check as they will only cost me £90 to replace them both and there's easy access to do it so not the end of the world.

Yes £90 is a lot of money but I allowed for problems like this when we bought so there is a kitty!

Cheers

J

1 minute ago, Halsey said:

Cheers Brian that's where my thoughts were headed - I will go back tomorrow with a car pump and gauge and if removable I might see if the valve rubbers are perished are they like a push bike valve in that respect??

I have never pulled one out so can't say, but got to be worth a look

I have investigated further to day and on one system the accumulator works and there is a delay before the pump kicks in and on the other the pump responds immediately I cant get at either to check the pressures in situ so what I'm going to do is replace one and investigate the other on the workbench.

It will take a while but I'll report back

If an accumulator is working there will be a delay before the pump cuts in but the flow from the tap should be maintained at least the rate when the pump normally cuts in. If the pressure and flow falls below that it implies a faulty pressure switch.

The one where the pump responds immediately may have run out of air pressure so it is no longer storing any pressurised water. This is the one I would check first.

• Greenie 1

If the accumulators are the smallish Surflow black plastic ones they should if the air pressure is set correctly, provide about a pint of water when a tap is opened with the pump switch off. Ordinary car type Schrader valve core.

Thanks Tony/Mike/Biscuits/Bizzard

I think the hot water is working as it should (tested hot) albeit that it is pulsing before settling after water take off - probably pump settings, not touched as yet.

Cold isn't right so I will order one and replace the cold and see.

I tried to re-pressure cold with car type pump which wouldn't work due to lack of clearance to lock it in place - will try Saturday with a borrowed bike pump and see what happens.

Ordering a "spare" regardless.

Thanks

Just now, Halsey said:

Thanks Tony/Mike/Biscuits/Bizzard

I think the hot water is working as it should (tested hot) albeit that it is pulsing before settling after water take off - probably pump settings, not touched as yet.

Cold isn't right so I will order one and replace the cold and see.

I tried to re-pressure cold with car type pump which wouldn't work due to lack of clearance to lock it in place - will try Saturday with a borrowed bike pump and see what happens.

Ordering a "spare" regardless.

Thanks

Fixing or replacing the cold accumulator might fix the pulsing on the hot water expansion tank too.

I can't see that as they are completely separate with two of everything including feeds from the main tank - but we can always hope!

I will keep this topic updated/advised as it progresses.

Thanks........................

Edited by Halsey

8 hours ago, Neil Smith said:

Why not just unscrew and replace the valve that can be got from any tyre shop for a few pence and a key to undo it again only cheap.

Neil

That's what I'm going to with the one that appears faulty once removed - potentially I will end up with a used spare which is OK - I haven't got enough access to change the valve and re-pressure without removing it

Question...............do other people have problems correcting text when typed wrongly in that the inserted changes cause the text following to delete like for like or letter for letter??? Or is it me???

6 minutes ago, Halsey said:

Question...............do other people have problems correcting text when typed wrongly in that the inserted changes cause the text following to delete like for like or letter for letter??? Or is it me???

Are you using a PC? Sounds like you need to press the "insert" key which toggles between replacing letters by typing over them and inserting extra ones as you add them.

13 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Are you using a PC? Sounds like you need to press the "insert" key which toggles between replacing letters by typing over them and inserting extra ones as you add them.

21 minutes ago, Halsey said:

That's what I'm going to with the one that appears faulty once removed - potentially I will end up with a used spare which is OK - I haven't got enough access to change the valve and re-pressure without removing it

You need to fit them so you can get to the top without removing them every time you need to check pressure.

Neil.

1 hour ago, Neil Smith said:

You need to fit them so you can get to the top without removing them every time you need to check pressure.

Neil.

I agree but sadly its not my installation and there's no scope to adjust the location without MAJOR surgery - thanks - I'm hopeful that a bike pump set up will work where the bulkier car set up didn't.

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

Yes I'm using a laptop, the problem is the issue seems to be intermittent - I will try the "insert" key idea next time the problem occurs - it also only seems to happen when I'm writing a longer post.

Thanks

17 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

If an accumulator is working there will be a delay before the pump cuts in but the flow from the tap should be maintained at least the rate when the pump normally cuts in. If the pressure and flow falls below that it implies a faulty pressure switch.

The one where the pump responds immediately may have run out of air pressure so it is no longer storing any pressurised water. This is the one I would check first.

Hi Tony,

I have not come across a double system before and as it is 2 separate systems (and therefore one cant be deployed if the other one goes wrong) what is the benefit??

2 minutes ago, Halsey said:

Hi Tony,

I have not come across a double system before and as it is 2 separate systems (and therefore one cant be deployed if the other one goes wrong) what is the benefit??

No idea, especially as you seem to think its split hot & cold. Some hire fleets fit a pair of parallel pumps and a two way switch so if one packs up during a hire they can tell the customer where to find the switch to bring the spare pump into use and thus save sending an engineer out. However both pumps normally feed a common system.

I also think some people are of the opinion that it helps with the shower, be it pressure or heat control I have no idea.

• Happy 1

1 hour ago, Neil Smith said:

Could one be the accumulator and the other the expansion vessel?

Neil

It could be  but I read the OP as implying it is two separate systems, one for hot and another for cold water although I do not recall that being made clear.

If the vessels and pumps are in close proximity to each other then the most likely explanation is two separate systems with two accumulators. If the vessels are a long way apart then there is every chance you are correct and the boat has two pumps in parallel that has confused the OP.

36 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

It could be  but I read the OP as implying it is two separate systems, one for hot and another for cold water although I do not recall that being made clear.

If the vessels and pumps are in close proximity to each other then the most likely explanation is two separate systems with two accumulators. If the vessels are a long way apart then there is every chance you are correct and the boat has two pumps in parallel that has confused the OP.

2 completely separate but mounted on the same "supply" board close together and close to the integral tank at the front of the boat.

Edited by Halsey

35 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

What if I assume I am normally wrong?

Then you’ll probably be right that you’re wrong. Which would make you wrong. So Mike was right. 

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 2