Ultrasound Tank Gauge

RichLech

Featured Posts

I've seen reference to tank gauges that use ultrasound to measure the level, through sensors stuck on the outside of the tank.

I'd like to put such a gauge on my plastic pump-out tank. It currently has a "full" indicator but some intermediate awareness of level would be useful and I don't really want to get into drilling holes in the tank.

Does anyone know where I can get such a gauge, or better still does anyone use one that they can recommend?   

1 hour ago, RichLech said:

I've seen reference to tank gauges that use ultrasound to measure the level, through sensors stuck on the outside of the tank.

They go on the outside of the tank, but you still need to drill a hole for them to look through and some screw holes for mounting. Same as you would for a mechanical float based one like the Wema/KUS units.

There is a BEP one which is slightly cheaper than the Vetus: http://www.cactusnav.com/ultrasonic-tank-sender-p-15649.html

15 minutes ago, Giant said:

They go on the outside of the tank, but you still need to drill a hole for them to look through and some screw holes for mounting. Same as you would for a mechanical float based one like the Wema/KUS units.

There is a BEP one which is slightly cheaper than the Vetus: http://www.cactusnav.com/ultrasonic-tank-sender-p-15649.html

Im afraid you are wrong there. The last loo I repaired had one sitting on top of the tank-If memory serves me right it was a Tecma -it was part of the standard flush/tank level panel

Similar idea- https://www.thetfordmarine.com/product/field-effect-sensor/

Edited by PaulJ
Add link

24 minutes ago, WotEver said:

That’s just the sender though. You then need the matching gauge. 

Indeed - also true of the Vetus ones posted above.

24 minutes ago, PaulJ said:

Im afraid you are wrong there. The last loo I repaired had one sitting on top of the tank-If memory serves me right it was a Tecma -it was part of the standard flush/tank level panel

Similar idea- https://www.thetfordmarine.com/product/field-effect-sensor/

The Vetus one you posted first does need a hole. I'm familiar with them - I used one to replace a faulty mechanical one on the black tank of a tall ship I help out with. It was a drop-in replacement using the same SAE 5-hole mounting but still needs the cutout to look through. The BEP is similar.

The Tecma field effect sensors will work through a plastic tank but won't drive an actual gauge - they just tell you when the level has reached the height of the single sensor.

The Gobius unit does drive a gauge without needing a hole, but it's not an ultrasound unit - it's just just three field effect sensors used together. So it can distinguish between empty, above first/second/third sensor - driving a coarse LED gauge indicating in quarters - but won't give you any finer resolution than that as an ultrasound gauge would.

I stand by my advice that an ultrasound one, driving a gauge, as the OP asked about, requires a cutout.

Our polypropylene tank, when a bright torch is held against it, shows a shadow internally where the fluid level is.

This works best when lit from above, and the level is more than 1/2 full.

Cheap and easy.

Bod

1 hour ago, Giant said:

Indeed - also true of the Vetus ones posted above.

The Vetus one you posted first does need a hole. I'm familiar with them - I used one to replace a faulty mechanical one on the black tank of a tall ship I help out with. It was a drop-in replacement using the same SAE 5-hole mounting but still needs the cutout to look through. The BEP is similar.

The Tecma field effect sensors will work through a plastic tank but won't drive an actual gauge - they just tell you when the level has reached the height of the single sensor.

The Gobius unit does drive a gauge without needing a hole, but it's not an ultrasound unit - it's just just three field effect sensors used together. So it can distinguish between empty, above first/second/third sensor - driving a coarse LED gauge indicating in quarters - but won't give you any finer resolution than that as an ultrasound gauge would.

I stand by my advice that an ultrasound one, driving a gauge, as the OP asked about, requires a cutout.

Well  I cant argue with that- Im not at all familar with the vetus one and never seen one in my life ! The Tecma does indeed only indicate on leds which I guess is not really a gauge as you say. 

Think Bod has the best solution though :lol:

1 hour ago, Detling said:

you can get systems for use on domestic fuel oil tanks eg Watchman Sonic Ultrasonic Oil Level Monitor

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Watchman-Sonic-Ultrasonic-Oil-Level-Monitor-Heating-Tank-Indicator-Gauge-Sensor/121919607180?epid=1404527827&hash=item1c62f9918c:g:WucAAMXQIBBRCsBp

But they need a big tank.

They will monitor any tank size. You need a 32mm hole plus 2 screw holes and the sender is about 5" diameter and about2" high. It is also plastic, just right for getting kicked, and then broken as you trip into the cut.

We have dump through pump out toilets on Tyto. I made a dipstick using a length of clear plastic tube it stops short of the bottom of the tank so it doesn't pick up much c... and have marked the top level. Just open the flap and put it in Its simple and fool proof.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Unfortunately only the Gobius 4 from Leesan meets my wish to avoid drilling holes in the tank, and that one is £300 +.

Looks as though I might be sticking with the "Bod bright torch" method after all.

Thanks again.

I know its a hassle but a float sender out of a car and a gauge is dead cheap and not difficult to wire up. I put one in my fuel tank to avoid dipping it and ultrasound was too dear.

17 hours ago, RichLech said:

I'd like to put such a gauge on my plastic pump-out tank. It currently has a "full" indicator but some intermediate awareness of level would be useful and I don't really want to get into drilling holes in the tank.

How does the "full" indicator work, if via a sender could you not just use this hole?  

Ultra sound works well through plastic to say wether there is liquid at the sensor level or not. I use Bods method. Have you got access to part of the tank? A commercial tank gauge will require. 3 or 4 sensors and a meter so that could rack up £200+. If you have access then a cheapo hand held ultrasound might work. Never looked to see if you can get them...but even the cheapest will tell if it's looking at a layer of plastic or a layer of plastic with liquid behind it.

3 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Just had a quick look and this type of kit is ideal. If it says thickness measurement then it's good. This is a professional piece of kit with high accuracy...which you don't need. Maybe find one on eBay for less than £100.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Metrica-60286-Ultrasound-Thickness-Measuring/dp/B00B9C8DD4

But Dr Bob. Would this not just measure the thickness of the tank? 

My Phd is a bit out of date. 

Just now, rusty69 said:

But Dr Bob. Would this not just measure the thickness of the tank? 

My Phd is a bit out of date. 

If no liquid behind the water then it measures the thickness of the tank. If there is liquid behind it then the biggest response will be the thickness of tank plus thickness of water. In the first case say 12mm, in the second 200mm. The response on the meter will be very different. Clever hey? We are doing this all the time in work on testing welds on HDPE water and gas pipes.

2 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

If no liquid behind the water then it measures the thickness of the tank. If there is liquid behind it then the biggest response will be the thickness of tank plus thickness of water. In the first case say 12mm, in the second 200mm. The response on the meter will be very different. Clever hey? We are doing this all the time in work on testing welds on HDPE water and gas pipes.

That's real clever Dr Bob. Assumes it different for steel and water, cos my Phd is long forgotten. 

Edited by rusty69

19 hours ago, RichLech said:

Does anyone know where I can get such a gauge, or better still does anyone use one that they can recommend?   

I've had one of these for 10 years without any problems.  http://mcsboatproducts.co.uk/portfolio/waste-water-gauge/