Location - May 1970

Featured Posts

?         :unsure:

Blame my eyesight!

I can now see that what I thought was washing flapoping in the wind on an (imaginary!) line between mast and stand, is actually people supervising the loading.

(Should have gone [back] to Specsavers!)

I thought the same as you, Alan (and I am wearing my spectacles). I blew the picture up and there is indeed a chap standing behind the lorry; but behind him is some sort of sheet or tarpaulin, which I assume had been stretched out to prevent coal falling into the water during decanting. At first sight, the ensemble does indeed look like a line of washing.

We got WRG to bring their long arm smalley to clear the loading area of the spilt coal which was bagged up and sold.

EA824C34-B5DE-44D0-9BCE-50664F83A341.jpeg

Enterprising!

Not far from Gopsall is Willesley golf course where I remember that one of two of my classmates used to in search of lost golf balls which they would sell on.

I thought the same as you, Alan (and I am wearing my spectacles). I blew the picture up and there is indeed a chap standing behind the lorry; but behind him is some sort of sheet or tarpaulin, which I assume had been stretched out to prevent coal falling into the water during decanting. At first sight, the ensemble does indeed look like a line of washing.

01j.rev_edited-1.jpg.dec163a8515796a64aa14f07e645dad2.jpg

On 12/03/2018 at 11:29, Tam & Di said:

Unfortunately my files seem to have gone walkabout and I can't remember which colliery the coal came from. In the early 70s boats loaded in bulk and we bagged it ourselves. We sold more by stopping at villages and advertising in the local paper than to boats. We did also have a contract for a while supplying all the Thames lock keepers with their winter supply in the autumn - they paid Thames Conservancy each week from their wages and we billed TC.

01j.rev_edited-1.jpg.dec163a8515796a64aa14f07e645dad2.jpg

Am I correct in thinking the large Woolwich motor outside of BINGLEY is HAWKESBURY, probably when owned by Kim McGavin :captain:

It wasn't the 'stoved in' counter that helped me identify HAWKESBURY, it was the short length of guard welded to the hull about level with where the swim starts. There would be another similar but longer guard just below the water running forward from the engine room / back end bulkhead.

Although these boats were built the same they all worked hard and had different 'scars' which makes them identifiable in these older photographs, and these are features that are being lost as the boats get restored :captain:

17 hours ago, zenataomm said:

With those wonderfully caved in counter bands, I'd reckon it was Hawkesbury ...... but then again I'd have a tenner on the Dali Lamar if I was a Tibetan man. 

16 hours ago, pete harrison said:

It wasn't the 'stoved in' counter that helped me identify HAWKESBURY, it was the short length of guard welded to the hull about level with where the swim starts. There would be another similar but longer guard just below the water running forward from the engine room / back end bulkhead.

Although these boats were built the same they all worked hard and had different 'scars' which makes them identifiable in these older photographs, and these are features that are being lost as the boats get restored :captain:

This picture shows both features, sadly the dents on the top band have been beaten out and the bottom band replaced. The metal guard has been removed at some stage, I wonder if it was a clearance issued in tight locks?

IMG_1985.jpg

20 hours ago, Tam & Di said:

After we bought Stamford and Bude from BW we sold Bingley to Kim.

I hadn't realised (or if I did, I had forgotten) that you once owned 'Bude'. We see her often when we go over to our boat, as she's moored on the LT moorings in Cropredy (after a spell of being tied on the offside just outside the village towards Banbury). She has a full cabin conversion and looks quite spruce: in good order, and with numerous solar panels on the roof. She's probably a comfortable home for someone.  I sometimes see a longish-haired chap buzzing past us in a little outboard-powered dinghy, and I think that's her owner on his way to empty the Potti and fill his water containers.

4 hours ago, BWM said:

This picture shows both features, sadly the dents on the top band have been beaten out and the bottom band replaced. The metal guard has been removed at some stage, I wonder if it was a clearance issued in tight locks?

IMG_1985.jpg

Unlike in this picture, when in the ownership of Kim McGavin  it had a little woolwich Rams Head  - as in the picture at Gopsall wharf

1 hour ago, archie57 said:

Unlike in this picture, when in the ownership of Kim McGavin  it had a little woolwich Rams Head  - as in the picture at Gopsall wharf

That rams head was giving me some serious doubts, but it looks like I identified HAWKESBURY correctly - so I am happy for now :captain:

2 hours ago, pete harrison said:

That rams head was giving me some serious doubts, but it looks like I identified HAWKESBURY correctly - so I am happy for now :captain:

Certainly has the the one shown in the later picture now, I never realised that it was from a different class of boat. It has steel wedges on the square taper to raise the height, which now makes sense. Also has a collar with W J Yarwoods + sons on It, possibly fitted at the same time. 

IMAG1199-2.jpg