Coventry Victor HDW

Peterson P

Featured Posts

Hi Rdb.

Have  look at the first post in this thread by Peterson. In photo 2 and 3 you will see the priming pots circled in red.

And in photo 3 look on the top of the crankcase and there is a ring spanner laid on it, beside it is a brass button and a turnbuckle. This is the decompressor. Push the button down and the turnbuckle will lock it down.

On mine the stop lever works on the throttle/ governor arm that connects to the injection pump.

Hope that helps.

Ha, got it running. Well done. As well as the gearbox to check / service there is also a transfer box at the back end. The type of oil to be used in each is indicated on the brass filler caps in small lettering. From the clips that you've posted it looks to me like there is a mounting for a dynamo chain driven from the output shaft behind the flywheel. I have a similar spare engine / gearbox configuration in storage with this attached, mounted parallel to the starter chain driven on the other side . Maybe you can adapt this for an alternator. 

If you search ' coventry victor vixen ' on the internet and select ' images ' there is an old picture of a broads cruiser engine showing the original set up with dynamo attached. There are other pictures of alternators with brackets adapted to fit on this forum. Mine is a standard Lucas unit. 

• 1 month later...

Hello, it's me again.

Does anyone have an idea where I can purchase a starter for a coventry victor HDW2 (it can be also one that needs to be repaired/ remanufactured)?. If you put the starter in the engine, the starter needs to turn clockwise as seen on the picture.

index.jpg

Looking at the mount ,the engine needs a reverse rotation CA45 CAV starter........these are incredibly difficult to find,and you cant reverse an ordinary rotation due to the helical splines on the armature running the wrong way.....................I would suggest you enquire if the small highspeed geared starters {Taiwanese) can be had in reverse rotation..............They are OK,we replaced every CAV starter we had with a Tiwanese geared one....cheaper than fixing,and as a bonus,they are very light. to handle.

I have a spare CAV starter which i will sell. It came with a HDW engine i bought off a forum member on here. One of the big ends had gone and damaged the crank. Will let the starter go for £80, that's what it's worth to me as a spare. Complete engines have come up on ebay every now and then in the past and sold for not much more than £100 if advertised as spares or repair.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Good evening gentlemen

thanks to Fitter kieron (thank you again!!!) I got a starter for my friend's Coventry Victor Vixen HDW2.

Now, my mate has some questions I would like to ask here. Maybe someone can help.

In which angle/ angular degree has the injector nozzle to be installed? At the moment it’s installed in a 45 degrees angle.

I have a problem with the engine. It churns to life (it doesn’t start easily) and smokes quite a lot. What could be the reason and what could do to make it start better and smoke less?

How much are two working (also remanufactured) injection pumps?

The picture attached shows the injection pump.

Thank you in advance!

injection pump.jpg

Hi Peterson P. Glad starter ok. My Engine started kicking out a lot of white smoke / steam from the exhaust when the head gasket(s) burnt through with old age. I had some new ones made at ' Gaskets to go ' in Thailand.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

yes im putting it in my boat? , the other one stashed in the corner is seized , both barrels have about 2" of solid rust in them , gearboxes and clutch are good on them as are the heads and starter motor , i am keeping the in injector pumps and injectors as spares and pos a few other little bits , do you need any bits then

Thanks no. I've had an engine which I've broken down for spares which had big end gone and damaged crank. Water damage seems to be common with these when they've been stood a while. I've got four barrels with rust damage in corner of container.