Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Mac of Cygnet

Odd marks in the snow

Featured Posts

Anyone any idea what could have made these marks?  The picture is about 2 square yards of about 20 sq yards in a spruce woodland near the house.  Each rough semicircle of marks is therefore about 6" across.  I think some animal is involved because the dog found something to roll in!  There didn't seem to be any tracks leading to or from the area, so I can only think of birds or squirrels.  But how?

Snowmarks.jpg

11 minutes ago, Rebotco said:

Looks like Yeti tracks to me!

Bit small. Could be a Yetiette.

1 minute ago, Murflynn said:

crop circles made by rabbits in the snow.

No, they make crap circles wih little balls of liquorice.

Ok now for a serious suggestion - how about drips of melted snow off some overhanging branches?

Otherwise it has to be the Dance of The Sugar Plum Fairy performed on a pogo stick.

They are clearly air holes. Made from below the snow ,so that the insects can breath. Ain't it obvious. How else would they survive.

3 hours ago, Martin Megson said:

Another vote for water dripping from the trees

Not so.  They were in a very limited area of a large wood of similar trees.

5 hours ago, bizzard said:

No, they make crap circles wih little balls of liquorice.

Doesn't taste like liquorice!  

28 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

I hate liquorice.

I'm less partial to rabbit droppings :blush:

It looks as if made by some animal with quite big paws, there do seem to be groups of holes there. If the site had human footprints leading to and from it, I'd suggest a (strong!) human carrying a sizeable dog but putting it down there for a bit. Shaggy and Scooby Doo maybe? Or should they be doing the investigating?

8 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

There were no tracks leading from or to the area.  I think this will remain a mystery.

not quite true - I can see the toe of a hob-nailed boot in the lower edge of the photo.  :P

My money is on snow or water being blown off a tree. It could be that the tree is in a position where it is more exposed than other trees to wind and the presence of what looks like pine needles bears this out.  

Quite a mystery! I wonder if the relatively hard crust of snow meant that whatever it was couldn't leave it's print fully? I also wonder if the print has grown and distorted as it thawed. 

I can't see any print similar other than that of a rat, but it would have to be a biggun right? 

check this out and see if it tallys.. 

https://www.incrediblescience.co.nz/eco-memory/animal-footprints/

Sign in to follow this