New batteries

Rob99fla

Featured Posts

24 minutes ago, Rob99fla said:

Why do you assume I don't know how to charge batteries. See my reply to the previous post. There are loads of post on this forum about basic leisure batteries not being robust enough for the job and why people have had good results from Trojans and similar batteries. I know many people have no idea about battery charging but I fully understand a strict charging regime, at least I have learnt that in the last year

Because you killed three sets in quick succession. 

The stats speak for themselves on this one.

Your new batteries will suffer a similar fate unless you change something and quickly.

7 minutes ago, Rob99fla said:

I am open to any good suggestions but I really do not know what else I can do. Charge to 1-2 amps tail current every day. Charge at least 14.7 volts.do not let batteries go below 12.2v (now). Perhaps 9-100 amps per day is too higher a discharge for basic leisure batteries

How are you measuring you rate of discharge and rate of charge and tail current?

You appear to be suffering from the same problem I had. The evidence (three consecutive sets of batteries knackered in short order) suggests you are not charging them properly whatever you think. Cart before the horse I suggest.

The task for you (as was for me) is to figure out HOW this can be happening.  In my case the only possible, and extremely unliklely, excplanation was the Smartgauge was tellinjg lies. After some careful and thorough testing revealed this to be be the precisely the case!

What is it in your case, I wonder....

What is strange then, is why I didn't manage to kill the previous set of Exide leisure batteries over a few years? These just became old and in need of replacement overt time. The Halfords batteries deteriorated quickly where the previous Exide lasted years. Perhaps Halfords batteries are too light duty. If you read my other replies, you can see I do know about charging and did charge every day to 1-2 amps tail current at 14.7-14.8 volts. The batteries never went below 12.1v, normally more like 12.2 v rested. It seems people are sometimes treated like idiots on this forum. My original question was about number of cycles to achieve full capacity, assuming of course, they are charged fully each time

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

You appear to be suffering from the same problem I had. The evidence (three consecutive sets of batteries knackered in short order) suggests you are not charging them properly whatever you think. Cart before the horse I suggest.

The task for you (as was for me) is to figure out HOW this can be happening.  In my case the only possible, and extremely unliklely, excplanation was the Smartgauge was tellinjg lies. After some careful and thorough testing revealed this to be be the precisely the case!

What is it in your case, I wonder....

It possibly is, Mike. I have completely reset the BMV after the new batteries were installed. I have a clamp meter. When the BMV next says 1-2 amps in, I will check the current flowing to the batteries direct. I have long ignored the S.O.C. It means not much, in my opinion. What batteries did you fit in the end? My upgrade cost £150 after I got £380 back from Halfords after 18 months. You read on these forums about Trojan T105's and US2200 batteries and how people have had much more success over standard leisure batteries (assuming correct charging). I get a bit fed up with some people assuming I am an idiot which I am not. I don't mean you, b the way.

7 minutes ago, Rob99fla said:

What is strange then, is why I didn't manage to kill the previous set of Exide leisure batteries over a few years? These just became old and in need of replacement overt time. The Halfords batteries deteriorated quickly where the previous Exide lasted years. Perhaps Halfords batteries are too light duty. If you read my other replies, you can see I do know about charging and did charge every day to 1-2 amps tail current at 14.7-14.8 volts. The batteries never went below 12.1v, normally more like 12.2 v rested. It seems people are sometimes treated like idiots on this forum. My original question was about number of cycles to achieve full capacity, assuming of course, they are charged fully each time

You are frustrating the house robots! They like to have something to get their teeth into and you are failing to supply them with a problem they can recognise!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Rob99fla said:

What have you changed on the boat in the last 18 months?

Just now, system 4-50 said:

You are frustrating the house robots! They like to have something to get their teeth into and you are failing to supply them with a problem they can recognise!

Haha! Probably right

Just now, Naughty Cal said:

What have you changed on the boat in the last 18 months?

Nothing. In fact, got rid of microwave. Changed the 240v fridge for a new one of slightly lower consumption. 

I also used to get 3 or 4 years from Exide and early Elecsol batteries. Without changing anything else I also got only a couple of months from a set of Halfords batteries and got a full refund from them.

Recently I've struggled a lot more to get decent life from batteries despite a charging routine that to me seems reasonable. Mainly I blame the way the manufacturers now add calcium to prevent gassing because that very gassing helps prevent sulphation.

I've just become resigned to getting short life from my batteries whatever I do.

19 minutes ago, Rob99fla said:

It seems people are sometimes treated like idiots on this forum. 

I apologise for the other forumites if you have only sometimes been treated like an idiot. We normaly always treat as such just so we can all feel at home :)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, bizzard said:

I claim to be the biggest ijit on ere.:mellow:

No. its now me. Even with a lifetime with BT and my own security company (12v systems), I clearly have no understanding whatsoever about 12 volt systems. Well, we both don't it seems!

3 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

I also used to get 3 or 4 years from Exide and early Elecsol batteries. Without changing anything else I also got only a couple of months from a set of Halfords batteries and got a full refund from them.

Recently I've struggled a lot more to get decent life from batteries despite a charging routine that to me seems reasonable. Mainly I blame the way the manufacturers now add calcium to prevent gassing because that very gassing helps prevent sulphation.

I've just become resigned to getting short life from my batteries whatever I do.

At last! Someone else who had the same problem. Did you upgrade to better batteries?

29 minutes ago, Rob99fla said:

No. its now me. Even with a lifetime with BT and my own security company (12v systems), I clearly have no understanding whatsoever about 12 volt systems. Well, we both don't it seems!

At last! Someone else who had the same problem. Did you upgrade to better batteries?

Yes I changed to Varta and got 4 years from them. Then replaced them with another set of Varta which lasted just 2 weeks. The replacement set of Varta also lasted only 2 weeks then Varta removed them from the market as we were apparently their first UK sale of their "new, improved added-calcium" version. Varta brought them back on the market after a couple of months saying "oops we added too much calcium". Meanwhile we got a couple of years from a set of ultra cheapies followed by a couple of years from a set of the new Varta's

7 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

He's not very good at measuring himself. Never used a tape measure before.

Measure your combined height.Subtract height of Duck 1'2". Ergo Dr Bob =5'3"-heels = 5'. QED init.

Edited by rusty69