iPhone canal satnav

ChrisMoonRiver

Featured Posts

Recommendations please for the best 'iPhone canal satnav'. You know what I mean: a sort of electronic Nicholson that wil run on a smartphone or tablet and show my position on the canal plus all the good stuff you get with Nicholsons guides. Thanks, Chris.

Edited by ChrisMoonRiver

23 minutes ago, Detling said:

Not for iOS, makes a change Android used to be second but the worm turns.

Not the canalmap app, but in iOS you can view google maps with the canalmap overlay visible.

23 minutes ago, Detling said:

Edited by peter n

8 hours ago, Detling said:

Not for iOS, makes a change Android used to be second but the worm turns.

It’s a layer for Google maps so runs on any device.  There’s instructions on the site on how to add the layer to Google maps.

10 hours ago, NickF said:

Waterways routes us my favourite.  

We use waterways routes. Bit expensive but very good. Doesn't show pubs but does show all visitor moorings which are useful on the oxford or other canals where you can't just pull in anywhere.

1 hour ago, Dr Bob said:

We use waterways routes. Bit expensive but very good. Doesn't show pubs but does show all visitor moorings which are useful on the oxford or other canals where you can't just pull in anywhere.

Try some new fangled stuff called nicholsons or pearsons. I find it unbeleavable but apparently they NEVER need recharging and show all boating related stuff and with an index system are very quick and easy to operate. Apparently they work even in zero signal areas including tunnels!! They are (online) so they say but I find it hard to believe the instant you open them!! Sounds too good to be true? Yes that's my thoughts so I doubt they will sell many.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Try some new fangled stuff called nicholsons or pearsons. I find it unbeleavable but apparently they NEVER need recharging and show all boating related stuff and with an index system are very quick and easy to operate. Apparently they work even in zero signal areas including tunnels!! They are (online) so they say but I find it hard to believe the instant you open them!! Sounds too good to be true? Yes that's my thoughts so I doubt they will sell many.

There's more. They still operate in very low temps, so suitable for Smelly summer trips. You can pour coffee over them and they still work. Haven't tried tea yet. 

4 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

There's more. They still operate in very low temps, so suitable for Smelly summer trips. You can pour coffee over them and they still work. Haven't tried tea yet. 

And they don't need continual updates.  Some of our Nicholsons are near 20 old years and probably not too out of date.An added bonus is you can write notes on them (if only I could remember how to do that).

Edited by rusty69

5 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

And they don't need continual updates.  Some of our nicholsons are near 20 years and probably not too out of date.An added bonus is you can write notes on them.

Precisely. A clear case then that they will never catch on!! Of course if one goes overboard you've lot a tenner wheras an I fone :o

13 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

You forgot to say that the paper guides are always out of date, which is their main flaw.  That said I find Nicholsons fine.  The main time I use electronic  mapping is on rivers like the Severn where there are few landmarks to let you work out where you are.

7 minutes ago, john6767 said:

You forgot to say that the paper guides are always out of date, which is their main flaw.  That said I find Nicholsons fine.  The main time I use electronic  mapping is on rivers like the Severn where there are few landmarks to let you work out where you are.

Ive never found landmarks a problem realy. I will agree that some modern technology has its place but canal maps aint one of them. Of course its whatever rocks ya boat.

1 hour ago, Dr Bob said:

We also use Nicholson's. Some of us need boys toys to occupy us while Mrs Bob does the locks.

10 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

We also use Nicholson's. Some of us need boys toys to occupy us while Mrs Bob does the locks.

Yeah Bob have you noticed that new fangled crap coming into the boating scene where BLOKES do the locks :o not on you bloomin Nellie Jose!!

3 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Jeez Dr Bob.In this suffragette anniversary year,I hope  your gonna share the lock duties with Mrs Bob instead of playing on your i-thingy.

7 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Jeez Dr Bob.In this suffragette anniversary year,I hope  your gonna share the lock duties with Mrs Bob instead of playing on your i-thingy.

She's got the duck to help her this year.......and its on an adenoid type thingy not a McApple. So there!:unsure:

Edited by Dr Bob

9 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Yeah Bob have you noticed that new fangled crap coming into the boating scene where BLOKES do the locks :o not on you bloomin Nellie Jose!!

2 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

She's got the duck to help her this year.......and its on an adenoid type thingy not a McApple. So there!:unsure:

Oooo, you sexist ole buggers. My great great great granmother didn't burn her bra so you blokes got all the easy boat steery jobs.

It's too difficult they say.You would never cope with a 70ft boat in a bit of wind. Rubbish I say.Us girls are as good if not better than you blokes at steering (yes,even when it is a bit windy)!!!!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Oooo, you sexist ole buggers. My great great great granmother didn't burn her bra so you blokes got all the easy boat steery jobs.

It's too difficult they say.You would never cope with a 70ft boat in a bit of wind. Rubbish I say.Us girls are as good if not better than you blokes at steering (yes,even when it is a bit windy)!!!!

I try to avoid winding things up.

On 3/4/2018 at 10:41, mrsmelly said:

Try some new fangled stuff called nicholsons or pearsons. Apparently they work even in zero signal areas including tunnels!!

I tried my pearsons guide in a tunnel ... there must be something wrong .. it didn't work i couldn't see it! I'll send it back for a refund!

12 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

I have an all weather cover for mine to keep the drips off.

Others may call it a plastic bag.

My Nicholsons have been good enough for me for the last 28 years and I am sure they will still " work " long after the latest gimmick has disappeared in history. I remember when the Kindle appeared and it was going to wipe proper books out within five years.........not.

57 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I remember when the Kindle appeared and it was going to wipe proper books out within five years.....

I don’t know about ‘wipe proper books out’, there’s nothing quite like holding a real book and turning the pages. However, I have over 500 titles on my Kindle and I’d never have the space for all those if they were ‘real’ books. Some I’ve read twice, some more than that. I’ve read them all at least once. They range from Robinson Crusoe to an in-depth look at quantum mechanics and I’d never have read half of them if I’d had to buy them in hard copy.