Bread machines

Stilllearning

Featured Posts

As liveaboards, we find a breadmaker invaluable. Yes, you can buy good bread in supermarkets, but not if you're moored on the towpath in the middle of nowhere. Flour doesn't go off,  so having a breadmaker means fresh bread whenever, and reduces the perishables shopping to milk, which keeps fresh longer than a bread.

When off grid, we use the breadmaker to make the dough, and then put the pan in the oven to save power. Without the cooking part, power use is tiny.

Can;t say I've ever had a problem with the "hole".

MP.

37 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I use mine loads A Panasonic they are brilliant. I use it to do the mixing and then prove and bake in the oven or I use it as is. The great thing is PROPER fresh bread still hot so you know its real. The huge plus points for me is I can make varied loaves which are simply unavailable in any shop even bespoke bakeries. Mixing differing flours with different gluten levels and yeast to get special loaves keeps it interesting. I use lots of spelt and Rye amongst others and make fabulous Olive loaf with olive oil. egg and oregano yum yum. Being able to adjust the amounts of preservatives such as sugar and salt and how much butter etc goes in makes all the difference. It also helps keep my svelt like figure B)

Did you mean Felt ,as in FUZZY FELT?

I have two words on this matter

Soda Bread

No hard work and we use a Irish family recipe, however doesn't go with Marmite for that it has to be sour dough and we CBA to keep the culture going on the boat.

Used one on shore power and batteries for about four years (about 30ah for a complete cycle).  Now got into sourdough and the machine got binned last summer.  Machine made bread was much better than supermarket stuff (if near enough to one) but the sourdough is much, much tastier....

Ours (on land) has had a rude awakening this last week due to the snow, all local shops were constantly devoid of bread & milk due to panic buying idiots. In fact when deliveries did get through the shop was cleared out within an hour. No wonder our European friends are laughing their derrières off at us.

It usually only comes out occasionally to mix dough for pizza bases, naan bread or crusty rolls which then get baked in the oven.
Last week it churned out sandwich, fruit & milk loaves so we didn't have to be disappointed at the local Coop.

Now, if only we could find room for a small cow there'd be no problem with the milk shortage either :lol:

4 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

Ours (on land) has had a rude awakening this last week due to the snow, all local shops were constantly devoid of bread & milk due to panic buying idiots. In fact when deliveries did get through the shop was cleared out within an hour. No wonder our European friends are laughing their derrières off at us.

It usually only comes out occasionally to mix dough for pizza bases, naan bread or crusty rolls which then get baked in the oven.
Last week it churned out sandwich, fruit & milk loaves so we didn't have to be disappointed at the local Coop.

Now, if only we could find room for a small cow there'd be no problem with the milk shortage either :lol:

Whilst I prefer fresh milk, I've found that I can survive happily on UHT milk and even drink it neat. It is an aquired taste but you do get used to it, so I always have a few cartons on board for emergencies. Oh, and I find that UHT milk makes the porridge taste better! 

6 minutes ago, rgreg said:

Whilst I prefer fresh milk, I've found that I can survive happily on UHT milk and even drink it neat. It is an aquired taste but you do get used to it, so I always have a few cartons on board for emergencies. Oh, and I find that UHT milk makes the porridge taste better! 

You need to see a mental health professional B)

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, rgreg said:

We always have a supply of UHT milk as it's good for making yoghurt with.  It tends to be the only milk we use on the boat, which reduces the number of folks who come round for a brew!

If you use UHT Skimmed, it doesn't taste as odd as UHT Semi skimmed, and it just about colours the tea.

Edited by TheBiscuits

1 hour ago, rgreg said:

As someone who grew up on green top milk (raw unpasteurised) anything less than modern blue top is a waste of time for me, just coloured water.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

As someone who grew up on green top milk (raw unpasteurised) anything less than modern blue top is a waste of time for me, just coloured water.

Exactly what I used to think before getting used to the taste of UHT. It's like getting used to having sugar or not in tea; at one time I couldn't drink tea without sugar now I have it unsweetened after weaning myself off it over the years and actually dislike the taste of it sweetened.

3 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

Yep totally agree. In fact there should be a law against labelling the other crap as milk. When cows start producing a product called skimmed milk that looks like watered down emulsion paint ( and tastes like it ) then I shall start buying it. Semi skimmed........skimmed what a complete load of nonsensical con.

We’be got a Panasonic machine both at home and on the boat. It’s usage goes in phases but currently doing a fair bit of baking (the machine that is, not me!) Sometimes I just chuck in one of those Supermarket bread mixes on the rapid programme, and get nice bread within 2 hours. If i’m doing it properly, I try to get interesting and different flours, and I always add a couple of teaspoonfuls of dough improver, which is basically vitamin C. Gives a much better rise. Without it, I find machine loaves heavy and dense.

Sometimes I make rolls - dough in the machine, hand shape, prove and pop on the oven. Recently I’ve been making cheesy rolls, kneading 100g of finely diced Markies’ Cornish Cruncher into the dough, the finely grating a bit more over the proved rolls just before baking. Really yummy!

I have a delonghi one that makes a full size loaf and just carry the packet bread mixes in a tupperware tub when out cruising, put it on a rapid bake an hour or so before mooring up so the batteries dont take a hammering although it doesnt seem to use that much power to be fair.

Rick