Bread machines

Stilllearning

Featured Posts

Having recently had a second hand bread machine arrive, courtesy of Mrs S being unable to resist a bargain at 10€, has anyone used a bread maker and found it useful? Personally I find the kneading paddle a pain as it leaves a hole in the bread even if one removes the actual paddle and just leaves the spigot in place as the bread bakes.

I am in the middle of making two spelt loaves by hand the “proper” way right now, and find this much more satisfying. 

Am I just old and old fashioned?

There is something incredibly satisfying about hand making bread all the way through.

There is something much easier that leaves a hole in your bottom (of the loaf!).

Then there is cheating where you do the kneading and the first rise in the bread machine, knock back the dough and turn out into a loaf pan (or make a fancy loaf on a sheet) and bake in the oven.

I don't really eat bread at home anymore. I'll eat it f I'm out and it comes with breakfast or a meal, but I found it bloats me out and I lost a bit of weight as soon as I stopped buying it. As for breadmakers on board, do you run them from your batteries/inverter if away from shore power?

58 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

Having recently had a second hand bread machine arrive, courtesy of Mrs S being unable to resist a bargain at 10€, has anyone used a bread maker and found it useful? Personally I find the kneading paddle a pain as it leaves a hole in the bread even if one removes the actual paddle and just leaves the spigot in place as the bread bakes.

I am in the middle of making two spelt loaves by hand the “proper” way right now, and find this much more satisfying. 

Am I just old and old fashioned?

Ours is currently 'residing' in the garage unused after several years use. I think there is little doubt that home baked bread is better for you but the shop bought stuff does seem to last longer (because of the stuff that is probably not good for you).

The selection (and quality) of breads you can get in the shops now, even supermarkets means home baking it is a bit of a waste of time IMHO. And as has been pointed out shop bought doesn't have the 'paddle hole' in the middle of the loaf (Though you can of course avoid this by not using a machine).

I may press it back into service at some point but I doubt it.

You only have to look at the number of used/hardly used bread makers on eBay to see many folk appear to have found the same.

You can use your bread maker to make the dough and do the kneading and then bake it in a conventional oven. This means the machine does the work and you get a loaf without the hole. 

The hole never bothered me. 

We are largely a low carb household these days so I only usethe breadmaker on high days and holidays. 

I use kneading hooks in an electric mixer, then leave the dough to rise in the cupboard above the calorifier for a couple of hours before baking. Nicer than shop bought bread and doesn't make me feel bloated. Uses a lot less power than a bread maker with its electric heating for raising and baking, so good for when away from shore power.

Jen

We had one for several years but only used it twice. It made rubbish bread so now it resides in the skip down the tip. Tesco bread (or Sainsburies, Morrisons, Bakers etc ) is easier and much better.

I use mine loads A Panasonic they are brilliant. I use it to do the mixing and then prove and bake in the oven or I use it as is. The great thing is PROPER fresh bread still hot so you know its real. The huge plus points for me is I can make varied loaves which are simply unavailable in any shop even bespoke bakeries. Mixing differing flours with different gluten levels and yeast to get special loaves keeps it interesting. I use lots of spelt and Rye amongst others and make fabulous Olive loaf with olive oil. egg and oregano yum yum. Being able to adjust the amounts of preservatives such as sugar and salt and how much butter etc goes in makes all the difference. It also helps keep my svelt like figure B)

• Greenie 2