Plumbing Question (2) - Monobloc Basin Tap Connectors

Featured Posts

Next question.

New basin tap is a monobloc design.

This has come with two flexible connectors, and looking at other ones for sale they seem to follow a standard pattern that each is different, one with a nut that is buried deep inside the tap once installed, the other still inside the tap, but nothing like as far in. (I will probably change the supplied ones for ones that push directly on to 15mm plastic plumbing).

OK I can see these things have an O ring on, and hopefully that will provide the seal, but how on earth is one supposed to more than and tighten the nuts?

It seem impossible that any spanner can be slotted in, and of course a box spanner can't be used, as it will not pass over the connectors a the other end of the flexible hoses.

Any ideas please?

IMG_3939.JPG

IMG_3936.JPG

IMG_3937_Resize.jpg

A plumbers C-Spanner (like a ring spanner but with a slot cut out of the ring to slide it sideways off the pipe)

Called (I think) sink/bath spanners.

Edit to add - this version is called a 'basin wrench' and available at Screwfix for £2.99

13294_P&$prodImageMedium$

Or this adjustable one at £5.99

14631_P&$prodImageMedium$

Edited by Alan de Enfield

9 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

A plumbers C-Spanner (like a ring spanner but with a slot cut out of the ring to slide it sideways off the pipe)

Called (I think) sink/bath spanners.

Edit to add - this version is called a 'basin wrench' and available at Screwfix for £2.99

13294_P&$prodImageMedium$

Or this adjustable one at £5.99

14631_P&$prodImageMedium$

No,

I have tools like these, but they are massive things for fixing full sized taps with 1/2" or 3/4" BSP backnuts to sinks, basins and baths.

The end of each of those is massive in comparison to the small access hole to the bottom of the monobloc tap.  They wouldn't come close t going in, even without the hoses present.

Just now, alan_fincher said:

No,

I have tools like these, but they are massive things for fixing full sized taps with 1/2" or 3/4" BSP backnuts to sinks, basins and baths.

The end of each of those is massive in comparison to the small access hole to the bottom of the monobloc tap.  They wouldn't come close t going in, even without the hoses present.

I thought the same but was thinking they were somehow 'miniature' versions. :lol:

10 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

The instructions for those will always say don't over tighten them.  Finger tight then a firm twist to nip the seals up is all that you need on them.

If you over tighten them you will split the rubber seal and they will leak. 

Yes, I'm starting to think that, but have no instructions with mine.

However as they have hexagon nuts on the, I'm tempted to think hey need a bit more than finger tight, or why put the nut there?

I can't envisage any tool that will pass in there at the moment.  What is sold as spanners for monobloc taps are to attach tap to basin, rather than plumbing to tap.

Just now, rusty69 said:

Whats on the other end? Would a box spanner fit over the fitting?

Nope, whatever tails are used will have something on the other end that is too big.  The supplied ones cruriously have what look like 1/2" BSP female tap connectors, no ideal to connect to 15mm pipe, so I'll probably buy replacement tails that have Speedfit style push connectors at the other end.

5 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Yes, I'm starting to think that, but have no instructions with mine.

However as they have hexagon nuts on the, I'm tempted to think hey need a bit more than finger tight, or why put the nut there?

I can't envisage any tool that will pass in there at the moment.  What is sold as spanners for monobloc taps are to attach tap to basin, rather than plumbing to tap.

Nope, whatever tails are used will have something on the other end that is too big.  The supplied ones cruriously have what look like 1/2" BSP female tap connectors, no ideal to connect to 15mm pipe, so I'll probably buy replacement tails that have Speedfit style push connectors at the other end.

This video suggests hand tight only is sufficient. (but then it is B&Q)

Just found this......

which suggests hand tight only, so I guess I do that.

I don't understand why they have nuts on then.

I'll probably buy some of these, (but again they have offset nuts on them).......

https://www.screwfix.com/p/jg-speedfit-push-fit-monobloc-tap-connector-15mm-x-m12mm-x-300mm-2-pack/84084

4 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I'm sure mine were like this,tightened with a box spanner.

15-mm-copper-tap-tails-m10-pair_19800_P_1.jpg

How are you going to get a box spanner on?  The right hand pipe is surely bigger diameter than the nuts?

27 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

IMG_3937_Resize.jpg

This right hand hose is the wrong one for your tap. You need two like the one on the left.

Bathroom suppliers have an infuriating habit of doing stuff like this. The peeps putting the bits in the box at the factory simply aren't paid enough to give a toss. 

4 minutes ago, Boredrider said:

You put the tails on before dropping them through the hole!

Yes, I know that - my questio was should they be spannered up - it seems they shouldn't.

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

Oh and doing them up hand tight is a recipe for a leak. Nip them up good and hard with a spanner. 

As usual, DAMHIK!

I’ve installed several and only ever done them up hand tight albeit as tight as my hand can do. Never had one leak. 

5 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

How are you going to get a box spanner on?  The right hand pipe is surely bigger diameter than the nuts?

Think the ones I used were parralel along their length, enough to get a box spanner on, but it was some years back, so maybe I am dreaming again.

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Oh and doing them up hand tight is a recipe for a leak. Nip them up good and hard with a spanner. 

As usual, DAMHIK!

Great - I had just been convinced not to.
Where do I get a spanner I could get in.  Even the one where the nut isn't near the end (left hand in picture) the design of the  bloc makes it nigh on impossible to access.