Isuzu 55 Oil

Featured Posts

Hello,

After changing the head gasket on my Isuzu 55 I need to change the oil as I am sure there is a load of water in there. 15w/40 API CD is specified but is there something I can purchase over the counter (euros or similar) as I am looking to change the gasket this weekend depending on this weather!

Thanks
Mitch

I have just bought some 15W50 API CE from my local motor factors that I would be happy to use as my engine is very well run in. Bukh say API CC.

It would be unwise to say "any grade of 15W40" oil will do. That might allow you to buy one for things like diesel Jags and BMWs but once run in a couple of API steps higher  will probably not cause problems. However it depends to some degree on how you use your engine.

See longer reply on the Service parts topic.

I can only say "that which the engine mariniser recommends". To do anything else would laave me open to action if by chance anything horrible happened.

As far as diesels are concerned the API started with CA, probably in the 1930s or 40s and then as engine powers, speeds and internal oil running temperatures increased they gradually altered the test specifications to cope, so CB, CC, CD and so on. All I can do is to reiterate that in my well run in engine that specified API CC I am happy to use API CE or CF. That is my choice, not a recommendation.

Edited to add: I cant see going up the API spec a couple of places or up or down the viscosity rating a single step would ever cause a head gasket failure in any engine apart from one that is so worn it would not start on its own.

Edited by Tony Brooks

Hi Mitch, I have the same engine. Why are you having to change the head gasket if it's not too intrusive of me to ask?

How many engine hours does yours have on it?

I just used some Comma API CC oil last time I changed it. Cant remember the viscosity...

Mike

Edited by blackrose

On 03/03/2018 at 10:10, blackrose said:

Hi Mitch, I have the same engine. Why are you having to change the head gasket if it's not too intrusive of me to ask?

How many engine hours does yours have on it?

I just used some Comma API CC oil last time I changed it. Cant remember the viscosity...

Mike

Thermostat gone I think! I only recently purchased the boat and it was gone when I purchased and has got gradually worst, about £500 all in to fix excl labour!

7 hours ago, Mitchellmoxo said:

Thermostat gone I think! I only recently purchased the boat and it was gone when I purchased and has got gradually worst, about £500 all in to fix excl labour!

If an engine overheats for any reason modern thermostats can vent wax and then they open at too high a temperature so the engine boils. This is far more often than it should be diagnosed as failed head gasket. try changing the stat and bleeding the system before taking the head off. The reason for boiling initially could be many, including an undersized skin tank, broken "fan" belt, failure to keep topped up or leaking hoses (then some) so please do a proper diagnosis first.

Distorted block is unusual, straight edge and feeler gauges, straight edge and torch etc but if you have a nice flat piece of glass spread a film of oil over the top of block, or engineers blue, place glass on top and with luck you will see low spots, not guaranteed but worth a try.