Featured Posts

After getting regularly ripped off for consumables (oil/air filters and oil etc) I have finally been trying to find reliable alternative sources.

I had a stroke of luck at a chandlers -they sold me an equivalent oil filter, by a company called MANN. So now I have a "regular" part number I can offer to car shops/factors etc. It was "only" £9.50 so I got two, but have since found that Eurocarparts stock them for a fiver (on offer but aren't they always). That's good because there are plenty of those places around.

I didn't have any luck with the air filter yet though and the best I could do was £15 on line (ouch!). But when that gets to me hopefully it will reveal an equivalent part number that can be gotten hold of more easily or at least cross referenced.

Last thing really is oil - almost non existent - even on google - 15/40 api cc. All I could find was Morris for about £26/5l. I'd like to do a bit better. Thought I'd cracked it today in Wilko - mineral oil 20/50 cc and only £15. So close.

This is for a canaline 42 - if anyone is interested the oil filter is W914/26

Using Inline filters website you can put your original filter reference in and it will find lots of  alternative cross references . Only worth the trouble buying from them if you but a few filters as otherwise the delivery cost may mean a local supplier could be more economical.

https://www.inlinefilters.co.uk/

If you only need 5 litres of oil probably better to buy locally but there are retailers online  such a s smith and allan. May be cheaper if you order from them using ebay.

https://www.smithandallan.com/products/shell-transport/2300-shell-rimula-rt4-x-15w-40/

Euro car parts were recently very cheap for my air filters - £7 for two air filters delivered - the cheapest I have ever paid . But I had to know the equivalent car make and model to find the filter.

37 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

I use agricultural oil from my local farm supplier, the spec is ‘better’ than that advised by Beta but fine according to the Kubota base engine spec manual.   I’ll let you know in another 5 years if it was a mistake or not.

Our local agri oil supplier stocks Morris oils in his usual range.  If I want any Morris marine stuff I just tell him in advance and Morris stick it on his next delivery from them.  He hasn't twigged chandlery markups yet either!

Edited by TheBiscuits

1 minute ago, ianali said:

I use unipart prom 100 15/40. £50 for 20 litres delivered. Not cc grade its more modern, why do you want API cc grade?

Ian.

I want what my engine supplier recomends

Just now, TheBiscuits said:

Our local agri oil supplier stocks Morris oils in his usual range.  If I want any Morris marine stuff I just tell him in advance and Morris stick on his next delivery from them.  He hasn't twigged chandlery markups yet either!

Last lot I got came from a very small car accessory shop, I bought 4 cans off him. 

37 minutes ago, rustydiver said:

I get my oil 25ltrs a go and filters from euro car parts, usually wait for a discount code get it even more cheaper.

They don’t appear to offer any api cc though. 

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

I want what my engine supplier recomends

Last lot I got came from a very small car accessory shop, I bought 4 cans off him. 

Yes I get that but is cc the only correct spec for this engine?

Ian.

Edited by ianali

7 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Yes, I have bought 25 lt drums from Morris but find that 5lt more convenient rather than decanting into cans to take to the boat 

Yes fair enough. What im trying to say, after to many beers is this. Api cc grade i think may have been superceeded by other grades, CD or sf for instance. May well be wrong. 

Ian.