Frozen canal Humor

Kinver Canopies

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, alan_fincher said:

You can buy my ice breaker for considerably less than the £430,000 quoted in that article.....

If you have the cash, I might even sell it for half that figure.

The £430 or the £000 ?

I'm in either way!  Will you split the difference and call it £215?

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Bod said:

Put the "attachment" back on, and it's worth double!

Bod

Here is the content from the link if thats's what you wanted.

logo21.png
-- Navigation --About

Ice Breaker Demanded For Kinver As Canal Freezes A Bit

Posted on 12th December 2017 by koladmin0 Comments
Ice Breaker Demanded For Kinver As Canal Freezes A Bit

As temperatures plummeted last night, Kinver’s canals took the brunt of the cold as they froze over, making it a bit harder for boats to move. And owners aren’t happy.

Dave Guthridge, a canal user, contacted Kinver.info to vent his anger.

“It’s absolutely outrageous. There are gritters for the roads and grit bins in streets, but we’ve had ice now for the second time in as many decades, and it makes it harder to move my boat. Car drivers yet again get preferential treatment.”

A consortium of boat users has teamed up to demand South Staffordshire Council provide an ice breaker boat for such situations.

Our climate reporter, Mike Littisore, contacted South Stafforshire Council to ask their opinion. A representative said, “Unfortunately it’s unlikely to ever happen. We had our finance team run through the costs and benefits, and we found the cheapest ice breaker class boat would cost about £430,000. The current cost to the economy of ice on the canal is somewhere in the region of zero pounds, making it economically unviable.”

We put these comments to Dave, and he said “That’s typical of the short-sighted attitude of pencil pushing office workers who don’t see the real trauma for us on the water ways. We pay our taxes, too, we need to be looked after just like everyone else. But more so.”

South Stafforshire council refused to take any more calls on the matter.

Alan's boat Sickle, has a sister boat called Tyco(?) which still has it's original ice breaking bow attachment fitted.  

Sicke's was removed many years ago, but would have been useful recently.

Bod