Holyhead Marina has taken a Beating

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

From another angle. Seems even the commercial vessels have broken free and are on the rocks.

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

That's not the marina, that's the Yacht club moorings - we used to be on one of those, right in the middle.

This is the Marina during last weeks F10 storm.

After we moved from the Yacht Club moorings we had the 1st mooring on the left at the bottom of the ramp.

Is that ramp not the same ramp at the beginning of the first video I have posted!!

In the last hour every boat involved in a Winter Race has been sunk - the Turbine support vessels are on the rocks with a couple of them sunk.

It now appears that the pontoon have broken fee and many, many boats damaged and/or sunk.

We were due to leave our Cat there for the Winter but didn't make it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-43257319

BBC 1 hour ago.

28 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

From another angle. Seems even the commercial vessels have broken free and are on the rocks.

Is that ramp not the same ramp at the beginning of the first video I have posted!!

Yes - apologies I was totally disorientated having now looked at the BBC and ITV updates I can see it is where we would be moored. - what devastation.

2 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

We looked at putting our yacht there when we got back from the Med. We decided not too as it is open to the east.....but then you never get strong winds from the east....do you?

Our boat got damaged at Oban Marina last summer in a strong Easterlie.  They said the same, you never get strong winds from the East. Wouldn't have fancied bring in that marina either this week!

Hopefully everyone is safe at Holyhead. Boats can be replaced. Lifes can't!

11 hours ago, WotEver said:

Truly sad to see. Fortunately though it’s only boats, not people. 

Yes and some  of them very expensive boats. The wind farm vessels are circa £1 million each!

Five of those are either sunk or on the rocks.

I am currently on my sailboat in Sant Carles marina in Spain.   The worst and most sleepless night we had here was a few years ago when the marina recorded 86 knots.   A truck was blown off the bridge over the river Ebro that night and the roof came off a new Carrefour supermercado nearby.   The big difference was that thankfully we get no waves or swell in the marina here so all the boats were safe except for minor damage when a few finger posts folded.

That is an awful sight, the end of a lot of dreams even if the insurance works ok. The clear up will take ages and whether the marina operators survive must be in some doubt too. Wonder if insurance premiums will rise to recoup some of the cost?

What a sad film, all those boats lost. I saw in this video and in others that there is a lot of lumps of white stuff. is that the insulation from boats?  It was fortunate that no lives were lost

haggis

Just now, haggis said:

What a sad film, all those boats lost. I saw in this video and in others that there is a lot of lumps of white stuff. is that the insulation from boats?  It was fortunate that no lives were lost

haggis

No. That is bits of boats!

16 minutes ago, haggis said:

haggis

I think some of it will be the 'flotation' blocks from under the pontoons.