The blast from the east

blackrose

Featured Posts

I think it's supposed to be with us next week too. I don't mind cold temperatures but this incessant wind is doing me 'ed in! 

I'm moored on pontoons at the moment, which of course are only half the length of the boat so I've had to use centre ropes on both sides, and they're creaking like mad all night as they pass through the fairleads. 

My boat doesn't roll much as it's 12ft wide so that's ok,  but I'm going through a LOT of coal as I've been working from home all week. Cold + wind = increased heat transfer to the outside and bigger fuel bills. 

Just taken this foto of thermometer in mi front cabin..........How do we keep warm in the winter :lol: Forget the stupid time on it no idea how to change it lol

WP_20180302_09_39_51_Pro.jpg

Edited by mrsmelly

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Just taken this foto of thermometer in mi front cabin..........How do we keep warm in the winter :lol: Forget the stupid time on it no idea how to change it lol

Well you press the MODE button until the hours are flashing then you press the ADJ button ...

Oh yeah clock is well wrong, no idea how to change it. Temp erature is now 27.9 and missus is moaning at me :lol:

6 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Well you press the MODE button until the hours are flashing then you press the ADJ button ...

Nopejust tried all that.......it was 2.99 delivered from China though :lol:

10 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Oh yeah clock is well wrong, no idea how to change it. Temp erature is now 27.9 and missus is moaning at me :lol:

There's your answer - Wily Oriental Gentlemen dump all their junk on the UK as we're a soft touch......

27 degrees - blimey that's warmer than my house...

22 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Presumably to reach such heady heights you have the eco-fan directed at the thermometer.

• Happy 1

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Presumably to reach such heady heights you have the eco-fan directed at the thermometer.

There's a thought.  If you cut out the middleman and stand the thermometer on top of the stove, it will (briefly) give a much higher reading!

37 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

If it cannot tell the correct time, how do you know that it is telling the correct temperature? Just a thought.

3 minutes ago, blackrose said:

But it's doing me 'ed in! :P

Seriously though, imagine being homeless in these conditions. It must be hell. 

Get some ed phones, you won't hear it then.

Agreed, I can't imagine how grim it must be.

At least the wind has died down now. It's amazing how much more coal is needed to keep the boat warm in high winds at the same low temperature. I was literally chucking it on every few hours during that blast from the east. It's no warmer today than yesterday, but the wind isn't stripping the heat away.

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

At least the wind has died down now. It's amazing how much more coal is needed to keep the boat warm in high winds at the same low temperature. I was literally chucking it on every few hours during that blast from the east. It's no warmer today than yesterday, but the wind isn't stripping the heat away.

Over the previous 6 winters I have used a 20kg bag of Excel every 3 days to keep the boat warm 24/7 for the 3 or 4 days a week I spend on board.

This past couple of weeks, I've been using a bag every 2 days, (approx.).

I have a Fire Angel CO monitor about 8" from the ceiling in the lounge - it has a display which also shows temperature.... from time to time, if I've felt a bit too warm, the display has shown between 29C and 31C, which tells me it's time to turn the fire down.

4 hours ago, blackrose said:

Still air is quite a good insulator, years ago a study in America found that a line of 14' to 24' high trees 100' upwind of a house is as effective as (then) standard insulation. 

1 minute ago, Grassman said:

I question the humidity reading on that monitor. Is it really 28%? 

I can never get mine below about 43%, besides which I thought that anything under about 40% is deemed to be unhealthy???

Its caused by mrsmellys dry sense of humour.