Just looking

Eddie b

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Actually its not. Its the law. Not building to the RCD MIGHT (or might not) have insurance implications in the even of a claim and may also have implications in respect of third parties suffering injury whilst on the boat.  It is an offence to sell a non RCD complaint boat within the EU for about 5 years after it enters service but the chances of anyone getting done for it are small but it just might come back to bite you.

Like the man says. Get your Appendix 3 and don't sell in 5 years. Oh and be careful crossing the road.

Edited by system 4-50

4 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

One thing the OP may not have realised is that spirit levels have very little use during boat fit outs unless it is ashore and has been leveld up. No use at all when afloat.

I actually witnessed a guy trying to use a spirit level in a van parked on a hill, he scratched his head for a long time before his error was pointed out to him

1 minute ago, system 4-50 said:

Like the man says. Get your Appendix 3 and don't sell in 5 years.

So you are advising the OP to take a course of action that MIGHT get him into hot water. I doubt anyone can guarantee when they start out that circumstances will not force them to sell within 5 years and if they do its an offence with no RCD. The Op needs to be aware that such advice could in the end turn out to be poor advice that could cost them momny.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Tony Brooks said:

So you are advising the OP to take a course of action that MIGHT get him into hot water. I doubt anyone can guarantee when they start out that circumstances will not force them to sell within 5 years and if they do its an offence with no RCD. The Op needs to be aware that such advice could in the end turn out to be poor advice that could cost them momny.

As one reaches a more mature part of their life cycle, long term planning, necessarily, gets to cover shorter and shorter time periods.

• Happy 1

1 minute ago, Tony Brooks said:

Sorry guys not as clued up as most on here, but I have read a little on RCD needs, and if I go along the self fit route I will follow to the letter.

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 2

2 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

The OP now has the full picture and can/has decided accordingly.

1 hour ago, haggis said:

I think the folk who you think have cast aspersions on your ability were in fact making helpful comments. 

haggis

my post #6 was well intentioned good advice based on 50 years experience - I'll leave this topic alone now....................

Edited by Halsey

It is only after doing five fit outs that I reckon we've got things as we want them on our current boat.  Also, don't underestimate how long it takes to do even a simple fit out.  It took over a year to finish the undercloth conversion of our butty.  Admittedly, I wasn't working on it full time, but even so it's not something that you can knock up in a few weeks.  

Some people, me included, get a great deal of satisfaction working on a boat.  If you're in no mad hurry to go cruising, but enjoy DIY, then a self fitout can be a rewarding experience.  If you're chafing at the bit to explore the system, then go for a second hand boat.

1 minute ago, Halsey said:

my post #6 was good advice based on 50 years experience and I'm certainly not in the "group" you refer to - I'll leave this topic alone now....................

I have no doubt you were trying to offer good advise, and I have no doubt you have a vast experience of the topic, but as mentioned it was quite condescending. And as also mentioned before thank you for your advise.

1 minute ago, koukouvagia said:

It is only after doing five fit outs that I reckon we've got things as we want them on our current boat.  Also, don't underestimate how long it takes to do even a simple fit out.  It took over a year to finish the undercloth conversion of our butty.  Admittedly, I wasn't working on it full time, but even so it's not something that you can knock up in a few weeks.  

Some people, me included, get a great deal of satisfaction working on a boat.  If you're in no mad hurry to go cruising, but enjoy DIY, then a self fitout can be a rewarding experience.  If you're chafing at the bit to explore the system, then go for a second hand boat.

That's why we have two boats - I can work on one and we can use the other.

The tool you want is always on the other boat though, and the boats tend to be quite a few hours apart!

2 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

The tool you want is always on the other boat though, and the boats tend to be quite a few hours apart!

Often quite close in miles tho' (but that's boating for you)

We wondered where to base our boat, either 1/2 hours drive from home, or 1 hour drive from home - the difference was about 2 days cruising with the boat.

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

That's why we have two boats - I can work on one and we can use the other.

Now this is ideal, but alas the cost would sink (did it again) me, finding a place to put a boat out of the water for the time needed to fit it out and for the right price is hard.

You don't say that you want to live on the boat. That opens up a whole load more possibilities, You don't need such a big boat, you don't need all the complicated systems, you could get a cheap project boat, a small quality boat, a grp cruiser, all sorts of boats could fit the bill, I've had a few boats (not all brilliantly successful) If I was to build a boat for the UK canals I would look seriously at a 30' replica tug. plonk it on the drive (covered in camouflage netting to hide the thing) and fit it out through a winter. Nice project. Just thinking outside the box a bit.

6 minutes ago, Eddie b said:

Now this is ideal, but alas the cost would sink (did it again) me, finding a place to put a boat out of the water for the time needed to fit it out and for the right price is hard.

Give us all a hint as to where you are (not your full address!) and someone here will be able to suggest somewhere.

I still think you should get a currently usable boat and play out on it though!

2 hours ago, Eddie b said:

Sorry guys not as clued up as most on here, but I have read a little on RCD needs, and if I go along the self fit route I will follow to the letter.

That will mean getting access to not only the RCD documentation itself, but the myriad of European standards to which it refers, all of which cost quite a lot of money, and take you a long time to read, understand and digest..

I've seen various people fit out their own boats and they either have a shell on a hard standing somewhere and spend every spare minute working on it or they are on the cut and get fed up fitting out and go boating instead in a part fitted boat.

My advice would be to buy a second hand boat and then after using it for a while if something isn't how you want it use your skills to modify.

Go near london walk the towpath and see the grey primer shells and sailorways lining the towpath and decide if thats what you want or fitted out 5 plus years old proven boat.

we rebuilt our butty in 1993 knew what we were doing and had no engine etc it took till 1996 effectively . I was on shifts would do 4/5  hours a day go to work repeat. My partner would go straight to boat from work do 2/3 hours cleaning up and filling painting varnishing. I would never do it again 

6 hours ago, Eddie b said:

"That's why we have two boats - I can work on one and we can use the other".(The Bisquits)

6 hours ago, Eddie b said:

Perhaps the solution is to buy a comfy used boat with a tired or outdated interior in need of a makeover that you can update as you go along a project at a time. Almost all boaters finesse and fettle as they cruise and many refit cabins, bathrooms and galleys, install fires and furniture while afloat = major fettling. Best of both worlds - assuming Barb is used to the disruption as per your previous form.

Okay, got off to a bit of a bumpy start lol, but some good input so thanks to everyone for your help, and yes I am now considering the used option a little more now, so I will look for that magical bargain whilst continuing to look for a possible plot to work from, I will also read, read, read to get a bigger understanding of what I think will be a great future pass time.

• Happy 1

17 hours ago, nikvah said:

Perhaps the solution is to buy a comfy used boat with a tired or  interior in need of a makeover that you can update as you go along a project at a time. Almost all boaters finesse and fettle as they cruise and many refit cabins, bathrooms and galleys, install fires and furniture while afloat = major fettling. Best of both worlds - assuming Barb is used to the disruption as per your previous form.

That's exactly what I planned, and 6 years later I'm still promising to do it up a bit. 

Maybe this summer. 

Always an on going project. 

The same thing happens with houses. I bought mine 8 years ago, got people in to fix the urgent problems (electrics, unsafe central heating, dodgy rear extension), then just enjoyed living in the place. I've fixed bits and pieces, put up some shelves, done quite a lot of gardening etc., but there are things which can be kicked into the long grass so I have time to go boating and that's what happens. I've grown to like the previous owner's taste in kitchen and bathroom tiles, and can live with having wood chip wallpaper. Fortunately, not having an other half, there's no-one to tell me things should get done.

7 minutes ago, Goliath said:

That's exactly what I planned, and 6 years later I'm still promising to do it up a bit. 

Maybe this summer. 

Always an on going project. 

Sell it to Eddie B? But seriously this is what happens, my boat needs a bit of a selective re fit and with some effort I will probably get down to it but its really hard to cruise and work on a boat at the same time, painting etc. is not too hard but ripping out old stuff and fitting new is difficult, If its just me and the dog on the boat I can do it, we both live like animals, don't wash, eat burnt food, drink beer, wear the same pants for a week (that's me, not the dog) and have a good tidy up before my wife returns but the standard of living whilst the work is done is primitive.

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1