Fire extinguishers use by date?

BlueStringPudding

Featured Posts

7 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Where does it say that then?

I've read on here repeatedly that like an MoT, the BSS can only be relied upon on the day it was done.

Like an MOT test  a BSS is a minimum standard. It  would also be wise to keep a car compliant with MOT standards between tests .

Read about the owners ongoing responsibilities on the following

https://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/boat-examination/arranging-the-examination/bss-certification-what-it-is-what-it-is-not/

Just now, TheBiscuits said:

Not change anything in a non compliant manner.  And don't put all your junk back in the gas locker when the inspector leaves ...

What if something changes by itself,that you are un aware of and are un qualified to assess?

Just now, rusty69 said:

What if something changes by itself,that you are un aware of and are un qualified to assess?

I suppose that you are then technically in breach of your licence T&Cs and CRT can cancel your licence.

I can't think of much on the test that could change by itself, but when they change the test requirements it is possible that every boat could immediately breach the licence terms.

3 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I suppose that you are then technically in breach of your licence T&Cs and CRT can cancel your licence.

I can't think of much on the test that could change by itself, but when they change the test requirements it is possible that every boat could immediately breach the licence terms.

Good point .

7 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Really?

By CRT?

How does that work, then?

As said it is a condition that you maintain the boat compliant between tests .

C&RT could if they wished request that you allow an inspection. I am sure C&RT do not do this ordinarily and without good reason but they could ask to be allowed an  inspection if , say , they suspected  a boat to be unsafe.

See section 7.7 of the following giving C&RT a right to inspection where they suspect a breach of conditions

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/media/library/5962.pdf

37 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

More pertinently, if everyone complied with that, no boat would ever fail a BBS.

Clearly it is possible for a fault to develop at any time and it is probable any boat has some undiscovered fault or other . 

Do many boats fail ? I suspect not. More probably a minor fault may be found and is put right promptly and  a pass awarded.

On 01/03/2018 at 10:16, Mike the Boilerman said:

Or does an expired extinguisher in the boat invalidate the BSS. 

Hi Mike, on that specific point, no an expired (or damaged, or guage in the red, or empty) extinguisher would not invalidate the whole BSS Certification for licensing/registration purposes.

However in many of the various bylaws and acts and contract under which the BSS implemented by navigation authorities across the UK, there useually a stipulation that will say something along the lines of '..... you shall maintain the boat to the minimum safety standards specified ... etc, etc, by the BSS Requirements' or expressions similar to that.

In other words you would have a duty to navigation authority to have the required number of recognised portable fire extinguishers. [the expiry date passing in this case would mean it's no longer recognised as a fire extinguisher for the purposes of the requirement]

The reality is that the navigation authority is unlikely to check this aspect, but could - Super Safety Days on the Broads for example may see an extinguisher being checked.

However, if meeting the requirements of the BSS is related to insurance cover, then a dicussion with the insurance broker may be the order of the day - or getting a new fire extinguisher (whichever is easier).

Finally, and critically with this particular item, would you trust it to work fully as expected to help you escape if fire broke out on your boat, and thats a personal decision.

So my first paragraph is the direct answer, the rest is helpful (or not) context to bear in mind.

HTH

Rob

On 28/02/2018 at 16:42, BlueStringPudding said:

Does anyone know if fire distinguishers have a eat-by date on them? Or do you just check to see if the gauge is still in the green for the BSS? :detective:

Got the fire brigade coming to the moorings tomorrow to give fire safety advice and my BSS in March, so curious. 

Some may have a date on them but outside of boats the place I work in has extinguishers checked every six months. The guy comes in, opens it up and checks if it needs filled (water) and in all extinguishers takes out and weighs the little gas canister inside it. If it's under the weight it should be then he'll replace it. He also checks to make sure the pipe isn't blocked. At the end, he'll put a little plastic tag through the handle which if broken means it's been used.

I think the little gas canister is about the only thing that can go faulty with them.