Fire extinguishers use by date?

BlueStringPudding

Featured Posts

In my experience older ones often had an expiry date, but I have not seen any sold in the last few years that do.

Across both boats we have 8 from a variety of sources, and none have an expiry date on.

Last examiner was happy that if externally appearing in good order, and gauge in the green that they were fine.

So far I've opted for the dusting, good shake and gauge check approach. :D

I can't see any obvious eat-by date on the Kidde ones. One that's a different brand altogether has some sort of code stamped into it which appears to say 2009 But that might have been manufacturing date. I've had two BSS'S since then with two different examiners and it's passed so far. 

15 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I've mentioned this before but my boat passed its BSS with the on board :

(To be used by Jan 2010)

Rob of the BSS has agreed that the examiner was at fault and they should not have passed.

Extinguisher 1.jpg

Extinguisher 2.jpg

Being picky, your boat could legitimately have passed with this on board if the BSS examination you mention was carried out in 2006 :giggles:

Also, if there were sufficient extinguishers in date on board, the examiner could legitimately have ignored the expried one.

But being more serious, does an extinguisher expiry date need to extend beyond the expiry date of the BSS? Or can it expire the day after the BSS and still pass?

Oh and where does the team recommend buying extinguishers these days? I have a date expired one to replace. 

Lidl and/or Aldi have them in occasionally for about £8 if you want the small ones and can wait until then. 

They meet the minimum specs for BSS (5A/34B) but you need at least six of these for a boat over 36 feet long.

The bigger ones are better for putting out fires, but I consider this size scattered along the boat on wall clips to be "get you out" extinguishers.

16 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

But being more serious, does an extinguisher expiry date need to extend beyond the expiry date of the BSS? Or can it expire the day after the BSS and still pass?

If it has an expiry date that's not the question. Ask yourself if you would want to rely on it in an emergency?

8 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I consider this size scattered along the boat on wall clips to be "get you out" extinguishers.

Realistically that is all that the on-board fire extinguishers can be. If the fire can get put out by them, it's a bonus.

3 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

If it has an expiry date that's not the question. Ask yourself if you would want to rely on it in an emergency?

Excuse me, my question WAS the question I wanted to ask.

I'd be entirely happy to rely on it in an emergency if it expired one day before my BSS expired, several years in the future. My question was to clarify the technical point about whether the expiry date had to fall beyond the period of the BSS about to be issued.

Or does an expired extinguisher in the boat invalidate the BSS. 

15 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Realistically that is all that the on-board fire extinguishers can be. If the fire can get put out by them, it's a bonus.

Oh how I miss my Halon.

Fire? Hiss. What fire?

Shame about the ozone layer though, and thinking about it properly ventilating the boat after using one could be a bit tricky.

3 hours ago, MartynG said:

Don' forget a fire blanket is required for the BSS . 

I've got two fire blankets: one near the cooker in the kitchen and one near the Taylor's heater in the studio by the bedroom. Basically anywhere a liquid fuel fire could start inside the boat, or should I wish to wrap them about my person all sexy-nonflammable-like for a dash through the flames. :banned:

I've also got 3 CO alarms, 2 smoke alarms (but today one failed it's test beep and as the CRT-arranged fireman visit never happened this morning, I'll replace it soon as I can) and I have two glass hammers should I wish to smash my way out the side of the boat without simply lifting the whole glass panel out of one of the windows - all 13 windows are big enough to climb out of. :apple:

Basically, it's fire safety 101 my boat. My only question mark is over any use-by dates on the extinguishers and what that might mean in terms of BSS. I can't see any dates clearly written but I might just be being gormless. All are at least in the green on the gauge and have had their annual shaking. 

2 hours ago, MartynG said:

You are required to keep the boat in compliance with BSS between tests. In theory you may be checked by C+RT at any time . 

Really?

By CRT?

How does that work, then?

15 hours ago, BlueStringPudding said:

So far I've opted for the dusting, good shake and gauge check approach. :D

Hold it upside down by your good ear and give a shake. You should hear the hiss of the powder swishing down, very reassuring.

On 28 February 2018 at 16:50, matty40s said:

Some do some don't.

If it shows green on the gauge they should be ok, however, an inch of dust sitting round the back may say that its time for replacement for peace of mind.

Exactly. When I recently bought my 1993 boat they were in the green but could have been there for years so, for my peace of mind, I replaced them. Keep the old ones at home as they probably will work.

8 hours ago, MartynG said:

You are required to keep the boat in compliance with BSS between tests. In theory you may be checked by C+RT at any time . 

Where does it say that then?

I've read on here repeatedly that like an MoT, the BSS can only be relied upon on the day it was done.

10 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Where does it say that then?

I've read on here repeatedly that like an MoT, the BSS can only be relied upon on the day it was done.

Licence T & Cs

5. Boat Safety and Insurance

5.1 The Boat must comply with the Boat Safety Scheme requirements (set out in Schedule 1 below) at all times.

A certificate can only be relied on on the day it is done, but you have still agreed to keep the boat in a compliant state at all times.

Edited by TheBiscuits

Just now, TheBiscuits said:

Licence T & Cs

5. Boat Safety and Insurance

5.1 The Boat must comply with the Boat Safety Scheme requirements (set out in Schedule 1 below) at all times.

How can you achieve that without getting a daily BSS test?:)