Movin' on

Featured Posts

Hi,

I have a pre soft shift PRM500 attached to my 2LW the bits to modify/change in situ are £275 - what experience do others have with this set up - is it worth doing??

The cheaper option is to take the box out then a rebuild and change is £150 but I don't want the hassle unless the box has an issue (not expected) which I guess I'll find out when I start using her next month.

Or I might just park the idea and remove/change next winter.

It is really a matter of personal preference. If you are using conventional controls it is probably fine as it is. If the intent is to use Morse controls I would go for the soft shift conversion. Either way the PRM500 is a really good gearbox. Overkill for a 2LW though unless the output ratio was not available in the PRM260 range

58 minutes ago, steamraiser2 said:

It is really a matter of personal preference. If you are using conventional controls it is probably fine as it is. If the intent is to use Morse controls I would go for the soft shift conversion. Either way the PRM500 is a really good gearbox. Overkill for a 2LW though unless the output ratio was not available in the PRM260 range

Conventional controls - I think I will suck it and see - on a past boat Perkins D3 and PRM 260 I did the conversion but I was never completely convinced it made that much difference - I don't like clunks but if as I'm advised by PRM its just the lack of pressure relief then I'll live with it .

After all its not like I do Morse style fast shifts!

Thanks

Edited by Halsey