Jabasco fresh water pump

Timx

Featured Posts

Hi, I have been having trouble with my fresh water pump, so I have ordered a new one. My question is, as it appeared to be coming on and off, depending on its pressure, which I had adjusted a few times till it just went dead. After I fit a new one and hopefully everything will then be well.Can you just recondition the pressure bit? I saw something on utube suggesting this. At about £120 a go for a new one, is it worth trying or just get another one in spare. Thanks for any thoughts, 

I managed to get my Flojet pump working by cleaning it internally and replacing O rings and replacing a corroded electrical connection. The general advice on the forum was to buy a new pump - I dare say I will be doing so eventually.

I expect the pressure switch can be replaced if required.

Thanks, fair enough, I'm not that practical anyway, just looked on e bay, the pressure switch bit is about £25 as opposed to £125 for a new one. Just wondered if it's what people do. I will just buy a spare then , thanks

Or I suppose I could do both and risk wasting £25 on old pump as Long as I have another new one. Not having a spare has made me moor in a marina, £75 for a week waiting for replacement, as I have no fresh water.it was on my list to buy a spare, ignored at my peril.

Edited by Timx

1 minute ago, Timx said:

Thanks, fair enough, I'm not that practical anyway, just looked on e bay, the pressure switch bit is about £25 as opposed to £125 for a new one. Just wondered if it's what people do. I will just buy a spare then , thanks

You dont need anything bigger than a par max one at about 65 quids.

3 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I am just replacing like for like, I am sure you may be right ,but I don't have enough knowledge to differentiate.IT has worked fine for last two years I have owned it.

thanks for your reply anyway

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

I used to mess about mending pumps but they are mainly built down to a price now and at about sixty quid for a new pump I just renew when they jack in and always have a spare on board.

I have never managed to stop one leaking after taking it to bits. In the bin and get a new on. In the case of the OP I would try bypassing the switch and see if it works

• Happy 1

25 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I have never managed to stop one leaking after taking it to bits. In the bin and get a new on. In the case of the OP I would try bypassing the switch and see if it works

Thanks for replies,I won't bother then.

10 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Ditto, but only tried it once.

To add - an external pressure switch bypassing the inbuilt one solves this and lets you adjust cut out AND cut in pressures. D Square brand on Ebay from about £20. Should do for most of your life.

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Ditto, but only tried it once.

To add - an external pressure switch bypassing the inbuilt one solves this and lets you adjust cut out AND cut in pressures. D Square brand on Ebay from about £20. Should do for most of your life.

Congratulations on your 10000th post Tony. 

Edited by rusty69
  • Greenie 2

12 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Doesn't the size of the pump depend on number of outlets that might be used simultaneously? 

I fixed a small leak in my Parmax 3 that was sucking air into the pump and spitting it out of the taps. That was about 3 years ago and it's been fine ever since. It's worth fixing things if you can - in my opinion.

Edited by blackrose

2 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Doesn't the size of the pump depend on number of outlets that might be used simultaneously? 

Yes, but as the majority of pumps seem to cycle I would suggest the smallest output volume readily available pump would suit the majority of boaters. The only caveat to that I would say is if you have an instant gas water heater feeding a shower and someone is very likely to turn a kitchen tap on.  In that case the heater may shut down on low pressure.

34 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Congratulations on your 10000th post Tony. 

Thanks. I am not counting posts, just trying to be helpful and occasionally humour. Tend to fail on the humour bit it seems.

13 hours ago, Timx said:

Hi, I have been having trouble with my fresh water pump, so I have ordered a new one. My question is, as it appeared to be coming on and off, depending on its pressure, which I had adjusted a few times till it just went dead. After I fit a new one and hopefully everything will then be well.Can you just recondition the pressure bit? I saw something on utube suggesting this. At about £120 a go for a new one, is it worth trying or just get another one in spare. Thanks for any thoughts, 

Hi Tim,

I have a surplus to requirements Jabasco Pro max 2.9 pump installed for around two months, I changed to vetus pump and spare, primarily because the vetus is quieter. 

PM me If you are interested in a spare pump.

Cheers,

Jon  

Hi,again, after getting a new pump fitted, like for like,  Jabasco, model 32600. It works fine however , it should kick in at 1.4 bar,then cut out at 2.8

.But my gauge shows it sitting at 1.0 bar and kicks in at 0.4 bar. Cuts out at 1.0 bar, then kicks in at 0.4 bar. Then so on and so forth.Not a problem apart from it nearly losing all pressure then kicking back in every twenty seconds. So is that ok, I know it's not to pump spec, but is the kicking in kicking out so often a problem? Last pump used to kick in and keep going till tap was turned off.Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

9 hours ago, Timx said:

It is fully turned to the right, clockwise, I'e most pressure, so can't increase anymore, and that's how it came.

In that case as long as you are confident in the pressure gauge back to the vendor it must go.

• Happy 1

49 minutes ago, Timx said:

Aghhh  ,ok thanks. That would leave me without water again, so annoying.

Well, as I am always banging on about, fit a remote pressure switch like a D Square and be done with such problems for tens of years.

11 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Well, as I am always banging on about, fit a remote pressure switch like a D Square and be done with such problems for tens of years.

I know you're right, Tony, but that does involve just a bit of actual plumbing as opposed to a straight swap, and lots of us don't have the confidence to attempt that. The last three pumps I've had to replace were leaking rather than pressure switch problems.