Surveyor recommendations Cheshire?

Minormatt

Featured Posts

Pre-purchase rose-tinted 'survey', which missed several extremely dangerous faults, when we tried to complain, it was pointed out that, despite the fact we paid for the surveys, Small Boat Surveys put the surveys in Aquaduct's name (the brokerage marina).

Only the person named had any recourse! Grrrr!

Edited by Chop!

12 minutes ago, Chop! said:

Pre-purchase rose-tinted 'survey', which missed several extremely dangerous faults, when we tried to complain, it was pointed out that, despite the fact we paid for the surveys, Small Boat Surveys put the surveys in Aquaduct's name (the brokerage marina).

Only the person named had any recourse! Grrrr!

Was John recommended by the brokerage?

Yes, we were first time buyers.

Refused to check our gas (not gas registered), even though it had a bubble tester.

The gas locker drain was on the waterline and the gas locker had rotted into the cabin. etc., etc.

But it was the fact that he just shirked his responsibility that really grated.

Too late for @Chop! , but this is why we always say do not use any surveyor recommended by the broker - always get your own surveyor, and always contract with them personally.  It is also why we say never accept a recent survey in someone else's name.

I always understood that John at Small Boat Surveys focused more on GRP yachts & motor cruisers rather than steel narrowboats, but regardless, the failure to put the survey in your name sounds odd.  I can only guess that you paid the broker to organise a survey, and they did, so the contract with the surveyor was with them.

7 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Too late for @Chop! , but this is why we always say do not use any surveyor recommended by the broker - always get your own surveyor, and always contract with them personally.  It is also why we say never accept a recent survey in someone else's name.

I always understood that John at Small Boat Surveys focused more on GRP yachts & motor cruisers rather than steel narrowboats, but regardless, the failure to put the survey in your name sounds odd.  I can only guess that you paid the broker to organise a survey, and they did, so the contract with the surveyor was with them.

and very clever, (in terms of avoiding responsibility), of the surveyor to not question the situation, ask who he was actually acting for, and putting the survey in their name. It would have been quite strange for a broker to ask a surveyor to carry out a survey on their behalf and for their protection.... so one to avoid methinks.

Hello again guys...

As I mentioned elsewhere the offer has been accepted on the boat...

Not having much luck with surveyors now, either booked up for months, out of area or distinctly un-confidence inspiring... at the moment the only viable option is the one the boatyard suggests :(

Does anybody have any other suggestions for surveyors in the Cheshire/Nantwich area?

Thanks in advance!

yes - 0 7 9 0 8 8 8 5 0 3 4. we found it hard to get thru to him mobile to mobile so if you have a landline ring him from that, we always got thru, whereas mobiles were hit and miss. we chose him on the back of recommendations from this forum, tap his name into the search function and you will get a wider view/recommendation than just me!