Photos of Gas St Basin in 1968 and Preston Brook in 1972

John Brightley

Featured Posts

16 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

I remember Gas Street Basin in the 1960's, and some of those photos portray it as being far more grotty than my recollection suggests.

My memories of Gas St  are much the same as yours David bit of "crap " by top gates of Farmers bridge top lock but don't remember it as "Grotty " under the bridge & Gas St "Narrows" maybe the old memory's deceiving me

20 minutes ago, Athy said:

Certainly from a time when decent signwriters were in short supply!

As I understand, the steerer of Willow wren boats was often left to paint their boats resulting in quite a variation across the fleet. I'd guess that Roger Hatchard may have painted this.

Edited by BWM

50 minutes ago, X Alan W said:

My memories of Gas St  are much the same as yours David bit of "crap " by top gates of Farmers bridge top lock but don't remember it as "Grotty " under the bridge & Gas St "Narrows" maybe the old memory's deceiving me

It would depend which kids had thrown what in when, and which way the wind was blowing

I first saw Worcester Bar in 1966, I was 12.

It was a magical place entered through a narrow doorway.  I don't remember it being grotty and sad looking.

The Summers were always hot and sunny in those days too, also it snowed every Christmas day.  You could buy a sweetshop for a tanner and when I grew up I was going to be a tram driver and live in a big house up on a hill with a bedside cabinet crammed full of Cadbury's chocolate fingers.

4 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

It was a magical place entered through a narrow doorway

I miss that magic doorway. If you entered that magic door and went down Farmer's bridge, the next magic door was miles away. Access was limited back then

Richard

4 hours ago, Pluto said:

The first photo was taken by Geoff Wheat in 1962, and the second by me from the roof of Andy Millward's house in 1970.

1962 Gas St, Geoff Wheat.jpg

Gas Street 006.jpg

I first visited Gas Street in the late 60s, but my main memories are a little later - about 1973 onwards.

Is the boat in the foreground the one which acquired a whole series of wooden carvings in gypsy caravan style and was owned by a bloke known as Gypsy Tom? 

And I think the boat on the extreme right is a converted wooden butty by the name of Edna Grace.  I remember my father being outraged that it was moored side on to the bar, taking up space that could have been occupied by more boats end on!

19 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Is the boat in the foreground the one which acquired a whole series of wooden carvings in gypsy caravan style and was owned by a bloke known as Gypsy Tom? 

I recall his name being 'black' Tom, and the boat you describe being tied at Cambrian Wharf as ROMANY QUEEN :captain:

2 hours ago, zenataomm said:

It was a magical place entered through a narrow doorway.  I don't remember it being grotty and sad looking.

2 hours ago, RLWP said:

I miss that magic doorway. If you entered that magic door and went down Farmer's bridge, the next magic door was miles away. Access was limited back then

Richard

Me too.  It was still at Gas Street in the early 1980's.

There were similar doorways elsewhere leading to the different world; my Dad was good at finding them.  As I recall, the doors were flush and painted black.  On the push-side there was no visible furniture - and on the pull-side there was a garden-gate type spring.   On the one hand very nondescript - but recognisable to a few.

The greater use and appreciation of the canal-side cannot be criticised.  But stepping back into that hidden world is a lost experience

• Greenie 1

24 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

I recall his name being 'black' Tom, and the boat you describe being tied at Cambrian Wharf as ROMANY QUEEN :captain:

48 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Oh yes, good old Romany Tom the Black Gypsy, I'll never forget good old What's 'is name.

He and I went to different schools together, one of his eyes was both the same and he had very dark blonde hair.

• Greenie 1

• 3 years later...

These photos were given to me by Old George. He worked on the BCN from the age of 13 till his retirement. His father used to be the lock keeper at Gas Street, so the lad pictured could well be George. For many years he lived in the company house at Sherborne Street, and used to enjoy going on the public trips around the loops. 
I reckon the pictures are around about 1939