Was my face red?

Mad Harold

Featured Posts

12 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

The ability of a narrowboat to reverse in a straight line is inversely related to the number of observers.

I like that and my experience is of a similar nature to the OP's. Approaching Bugsworth turn off, coming from New Mills side, another boat I've passed many times before is coming towards me. I got overcautious so decided to reverse up a little bit and hey presto I'm slewed across the canal. Judging by the angle the boat ended at there was an acre of space to slip two NBs past each other through the gap. I'd just made a botch of judging it. Took a minute to get back in line and open up the gap again. So, along through comes Judith Mary with a full complement of elderly citizens, all enjoying the view from their tables. I looked at the skipper and put my head in my hand in apology and embarrassment. I bet I wasn't the first or last to have done that on him and touch wood haven't done it since.

16 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Yes. Well probably. One imagines they were in communication with each other!

What actually happened was the person was looking at me and pointing enthusiastically to one side, which I took as a request/instruction to pass that side. 

It turned out that that was actually the side they intended to pass me. So they steered that way, and so did I. 

So you're right. Sound signals would have avoided the prob. Neither of us used them...

And of course the incident was passed over to the the chap on the microphone by persons unknown and the aforementioned chap, being a person of discretion and fine manners announced the collision to all.

Edited by tree monkey

My most embarrassing moment was years ago when using the Anderton Lift. We'd arrive back from our hire boating holiday a bit early so having a little time to kill we decided to go down the lift and back. This was agreed with the operator who said he would wait for us to turn and come back up.

So down in the lift we went, and when we exited it looked plenty wide enough to turn. Better not cock this up I thought, as there were lots of gongoozlers watching. All went well until I got the stern too close to the piling on the far side and became stuck. Much usage of reverse and forward thrust didn't seem to be working. I looked across anxiously at the lift operator who kept pointing at his watch. Some of the gongoozlers on the embankment were pointing towards us and laughing.

Eventually I got moving again, and as I entered the lift caisson the operator began clapping me, soon to be joined by the 80 or so gongoozlers.  I was so embarrassed and all I could do was embrace their amusement and do a bow like they do at the end of a theatre performance!

I was probably only stuck for a minute or so but it seemed so much longer.

16 hours ago, haggis said:

Or really good hand signals :-) 

Haggis 

I make a point of disregarding any signals from crew on the oncoming boat (especially at the front). Experience has shown that only the person holding the tiller has any idea what he/she wants to do!

Hand signals can only indicate your intent, they can't direct the enemy.

Edited by Machpoint005
sp.

17 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Wrong: the ability of a narrowboat to reverse in a straight line is a myth :)

Not quite: it will do so, but not in the straight line which you had in mind. They're quite good at straight lines towards moored craft.

1 minute ago, system 4-50 said:

How about this one:

The ability of a narrowboat to reverse in a straight line is directly related to the speed. The more sensible  and cautious you are, the more likely to veer off course.

Our old lumpy water boat was so easy to reverse (deep fin keel ...2m....and saildrive) and the prop walk enabled you to swing into the berth with precision! This narrow boat we have now must have been designed to have no control whatsoever when going backwards. Did Colecraft do this on purpose? Ok, I tell a lie. When there is zero wind ....and I mean zero....I can steer it backwards successfully ...but get any sort of air movement and it is a lottery. Maybe there is a sweet spot for engine speed to maximise the effect of propwalk but I havent figured it out yet.

6 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

You need my newly invented eco-bow-thruster (pat pending) 

It's not that windy (that adjective is from the part of the verb 'winding'..... to differentitate it from the thing that blows that looks and sound the same) thing on the other thread that you have nicked the copyright for, is it?

Edited by Dr Bob
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

It's not that windy (that adjective is from the part of the verb 'winding'..... to differentitate it from the thing that blows that looks and sound the same) thing on the other thread is that you have nicked the copyright for, is it?

Well, i obviously can't divulge the design spec as its pat pending.

I can tell you though, it has a fan not a propellor (which is just an underwater fan). 

It will help your windin inwind. 

Edited by rusty69

3 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Well, i obviously can't divulge the design spec as its pat pending.

I can tell you though, it has a fan not a propellor (which is just an underwater fan). 

It will help your windin inwind. 

I think you are heading in the wrong direction. If I am right and you are thinking of using something totally useless that requires a squirrel, then that is not going to work in the summer (ie on Friday) as the energy for said invention may not be available.

Why not think along the lines of some automated sails? If you think about it, the boat goes the wrong way when going backwards because the back swings either right or left, or even starboard or port. I prefer port. Mrs Bob prefers red wine. If you had a small sail that could pop up on the push of a button ....at the front AND the back of the boat. By pressing the right button (not the left one), you could send the front or the back of the boat in the direction the wind is blowing. The only snag with that is that when the front sail pops up, it may well catapult the satellite dish onto the tow path and thus be an HSE problem. Do you think this idea will work?

• Haha 1

Just now, rusty69 said:

Of course. But when there is no wind, you will need an eco-fan to fill the sails

Com'on, keep up! I said in the previous post that you can steer the boat with zero wind. Ecofans (other fans are available) are not the answer to everything you know!:P

8 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Com'on, keep up! I said in the previous post that you can steer the boat with zero wind. Ecofans (other fans are available) are not the answer to everything you know!:P

Wait til you try reversing when there's a bit of flow on, you'll wish you had my eco-bow-thruster then! 

Just now, Dr Bob said:

Yes, MtB, Keep up....and I thought Rusty was slow?:P

Sorry I missed out reading a batch of posts. My eyes glaze over when the ecofan jokes start up again and I skip over them. Funny once but just wearing very thin these days (for me at least!)

Gwarn, tell me to lighten up!!!

• Haha 1