Was my face red?

Mad Harold

Featured Posts

Coming out of Whaley Bridge water point,yesterday with a line of moored boats on my starboard side,I had just pulled out to clear the first moored boat,and I spotted a boat coming towards me.The canal at this point didn't look wide enough to me for three boats,so I thought no problem,I'll be a good citizen and back up to let this boat through.

I've reversed my boat before  without any trouble but today was different.I had forgotten to take account of the wind,and although the stern went more or less were I wanted,the bow of course went were the wind took it. I ended up across the canal feeling a right fool. What made me feel worse was there was a CRT volunteer standing on the towpath selling subscriptions,surrounded by a small group of people.The bloke on the other boat had sensibly come to a halt and looked as if he was suffering from sense of humour failure. Didn't see a name on the boat,but he was wearing a leather hat,and I would like to give him my apologies. After spraying water all over the place I got far enough back to allow his boat through and we passed starboard to starboard.

What have I learned? On reflection,I should have kept going slowly as close to the moored boat as possible,and hopefully the other boat would have moved as close as possible to the canal side or maybe come to a halt.

If anyone else has had embarrassing incidents,it may be helpful to dickheads like me to post them here,hopefully so they won't be repeated.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Furness said:

Er, who's Mr. Fincher?

You'll find out when he hits ya boat:)

10 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

:PIt helps in situations like that to really be a muppet.

eta..going backwards and wind dont mix.

Don't search for "muppets on a boat" on youtube.I thought better of those muppets, but they don't half swear a lot

Edited by rusty69

An important lesson learned! Before attempting anything other than a straight forward manoeuvre, check for the presence of an audience and if there is one you just know it won't go right and need to decide on a another course of action. If there are no onlookers, everything will go perfectly :-) 

haggis

37 minutes ago, Furness said:

Er, who's Mr. Fincher?

He's the lovely chap whose boat and mine met bow-to-bow at a boating festival, and each of us holds the other mainly responsible for the misunderstanding about which side we were to pass. He is wrong obviously though. :giggles:

We poke fun at each other over it on here from time to time. 

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

He's the lovely chap whose boat and mine met bow-to-bow at a boating festival, and each of us holds the other mainly responsible for the misunderstanding about which side we were to pass. He is wrong obviously though. :giggles:

Did you not both adhere to the colregs and /or appropriate sound signals then?:)

I was doing the perfect 3 point turn in the little winding hole at Waverton, in front of about ten thousand people at the Waverton Carnival (all of whom knew me as I'd just run the ceilidh for them the night before) and was poised to do the going forward bit again to finish off the turn when the gear control cable snapped.  Ended up wedged and impersonating a bridge until another boat came along and hauled me straight again.

Last time I had a crowd was crossing back over the  P̶o̶n̶t̶y̶s̶c̶l̶y̶y̶t̶e̶e̶,P̶o̶n̶t̶y̶s̶i̶l̶i̶t̶, P̶o̶n̶t̶y̶c̶l̶i̶t̶i̶r̶i̶s̶ Welsh Aqueduct from Llangollen. Could I get the bugger to go round the corner. Answer, No.

I ended up bow hauling the bloody thing round the corner much to the amusment of the gathering crowd. It was windy though. That's my excuse anyway! Blowing straight across the aquaduct.Did I mention ,it was very windy?

22 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Most people don't give two hoots! ;)

Twit! To Hoo?

Edited by rusty69
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

If there is still dispute on this point we can post again the picture that David took as you steered across our course, erm, I meant just before impact.