First time buyer advice

Minormatt

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

WotEver 

Yes?

Just now, Dr Bob said:

Wotever happened to WotEver?

Last seen on the linear moorings outside Trinity marina on the Ashby. That was a few years back now. Unlicensed as far as I can tell so no idea where she is now. 

• Happy 1

13 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:
14 hours ago, OldGoat said:

I'm obviously out of date, but -

•  aren't most brokers members of BMF (which has an inland waterways section) Many are
  • there was a separate canal business association and Peter Milward and Dave Dare were members (but that was a 'lifetime' ago)
  • How does a seller produce a certificate of VAT paid if the  original invoice is missing? You apply to HMRCE for a Form T2L (EU wide document)
  • How does someone (me...) produce the above if the boat is assembled from parts = self fitout? There will be a VAT paid receipt / invoice for the Hull and for individual components (B&Q, Midland Chandlers  etc. till receipts for example)
  • Does a Ship registration count for anything? (It shouldn't!) Yes it is 100% guarantee of ownership if it is a part 1 registration, if Part 3 , then it means little, except to prove country of registration when entering foreign ports

A boat I purchased was missing much of its documentation (VAT certificate, RCD compliance etc) I had to apply for the T2L which was then issued respectively.

Lagoon 380 T2L.pdf

Dobro jutro, Alan,

I'm obliged for your answers

Not to be picky but the above is for a proper - salty stuff boat when being transferred from one country to another. I'd be amazed if our own great (?)  HMRC  would issue one when the only border my bit of tin crossed was between Coven Heath and Sussex (Thames or M25 - take your pick).

In days of yore when my hull was built, I was lucky to get anything legible - sheaves of scribble from MC were the norm and the occasional carbon copy for the hull. The finished boat was registered Part 3 so that I could join a posh (but very, very nice) yacht club and wear a Blue as I wanted to be different...

So I may have problems when I sell it - 'specially if a prospective purchaser reads these pages.

• 5 weeks later...

Next boat found, 1 owner from new with stacks of paperwork.  Not as "nice" as the last one and 5 years older but has some distinct advantages.  (As with all, it will need a few mods).  Was also professionally refitted in 2013

Being surveyed by Steve Hands early next month, fingers crossed for a good result!

9 minutes ago, Minormatt said:

Next boat found, 1 owner from new with stacks of paperwork.  Not as "nice" as the last one and 5 years older but has some distinct advantages.  (As with all, it will need a few mods).  Was also professionally refitted in 2013

Being surveyed by Steve Hands early next month, fingers crossed for a good result!

Keep us updated & good luck