First time buyer advice

Minormatt

Featured Posts

Hi Guys,

I know these sort of questions are probably asked a lot - so maybe chancing my arm a bit.

Im a first time buyer, but have done a few waterway holidays etc.  Primary reason for purchase is live aboard during the week (4/5 nights) for work at a marina with hookup etc instead of forking out (marginally) more money in hotel rooms.  But will also be used by family for occasional weekend jaunts...  New marina located, checked prices and availability and plan to scope it out tomorrow

I am looking at 2007 Liverpool Boats 57ft cruiser at a broker.  4 cyl Izuzu engine, webasto water heating etc.  The fit out all looks to be good quality, and still in good condition etc.  Small amount of water in the bilge - but doesn't seem excessive.  Reportedly 2 owners from new.

Will probably make an offer on the boat subject to survey etc.  Reason for sale is a bereavement.  Would an 85% offer be a reasonable place to start negotiations?  Is it normal practice to ask for a test sail?

The boat has a safety cert until 2021, new stern gear and reblacked in august and some service history.  What else do I need to consider?

As a newbie - I will be getting a full out of the water survey done and have been advised to budget around £1200 - does that seem right?

Thank you very much!

3 minutes ago, Minormatt said:

Hi Guys,

I know these sort of questions are probably asked a lot - so maybe chancing my arm a bit.

Im a first time buyer, but have done a few waterway holidays etc.  Primary reason for purchase is live aboard during the week (4/5 nights) for work at a marina with hookup etc instead of forking out (marginally) more money in hotel rooms.  But will also be used by family for occasional weekend jaunts...  New marina located, checked prices and availability and plan to scope it out tomorrow

I am looking at 2007 Liverpool Boats 57ft cruiser at a broker.  4 cyl Izuzu engine, webasto water heating etc.  The fit out all looks to be good quality, and still in good condition etc.  Small amount of water in the bilge - but doesn't seem excessive.  Reportedly 2 owners from new.

Will probably make an offer on the boat subject to survey etc.  Reason for sale is a bereavement.  Would an 85% offer be a reasonable place to start negotiations?  Is it normal practice to ask for a test sail?

The boat has a safety cert until 2021, new stern gear and reblacked in august and some service history.  What else do I need to consider?

As a newbie - I will be getting a full out of the water survey done and have been advised to budget around £1200 - does that seem right?

Thank you very much!

Welcome to the forum.

You're right all these points have been discussed to death many times over but finding those dicussions is bloody difficult, so here are my views...

Buying a boat is not like buying a car. An 85% as an opening offer could be too high (if the boat is massively overpriced), or insultingly low if the boat is already a screaming bargain. I bought my last boat (which was priced fairly in my opinion) for 16% off, but in return for this I did the deal on the spot on my first viewing, and shook hands on the deal there and then. Transferred the money to his bank as fast as my bank would allow and took it away a couple of days later. Clean and tidy deal for him without all the delays and uncertainty introduced by arranging a survey, hence the bargain discount. 

A test sail is perfectly in order and I had one on my first viewing. The more 'dicking about' you do (surveys, second viewings, test cruises, thinkings about it, etc etc) the less 'discount' you are likely to be able to negotiate and the less serious you begin to look. 

You ask about other things to consider. Never mind how long the BSS is or details about the bilge pump or engine service history, the Big Thing you need to consider is what proof do you have the seller actually owns it and is entitled to sell it to you.

Head down for the incoming now!

4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Sounds high to me, unless you will be having extra work done whilst its out of the water.

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I thought you said in the other thread, anything you put up on the internet is effectively giving it away...

Precisely :DFunny thing is Ihavnt a clue were I got it from anyway.

2 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

No.  Lucy thought £1200 was too much as well.

That's good. Whos Lucy?

This post is subject to copyright law. Quoting it will be in breach of the law and subject to a fine of £100000000000000

Edited by rusty69

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Where do I send the cheque?

Sorry, no cheques accepted.

Please transfer to my bank account

sort code 44.66.77

acc no 57399995

This post is also subject to copyright law. Quoting it will be in breach of the law and subject to another fine of £100000000000000

2 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

Lucy van Pelt.

I would post an image,but its probably copyright protected.

2 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

sort code 44.66.77

acc no 57399995

This post is also subject to copyright law. Quoting it will be in breach of the law and subject to another fine of £100000000000000

I would post an image,but its probably copyright protected.

Ooops!

5 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

sort code 44.66.77

acc no 57399995

Sorry, the digit one does not work on my keyboard. Can I transfer £000000000000000 instead?

Strangely that one doesn't work either.

5 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

Sorry, the digit one does not work on my keyboard. Can I transfer £000000000000000 instead?

I'm not going to reply,as its very disrespectful to the OP.

PS just use a 2 instead.

OP. Please accept my humble appologies,and also on behalf of the other Sunday night drunken posters that have disrupted your thread. Sensible answers will now resume......................................

Edited by rusty69

16 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I'm not going to reply,as its very disrespectful to the OP.

PS just use a 2 instead.

OP. Please accept my humble appologies,and also on behalf of the other Sunday night drunken posters that have disrupted your thread. Sensible answers will now resume......................................

Already answered. You are not triping fast enough.

And now back to the OP's very real problem...

Edited by system 4-50

Has it been a hire boat at any time in its life? 

Is it being sold through a broker or private?

I have heard of a number of instances where large assets have been sold for a song due the bereaved just wanting to get rid of the memories. Admittedly one was a car in which a husband had shot himself.

Edited by system 4-50

thanks guys, going off topic is par for the course for most forums - so not worried about that in the slightest!

I thought i had said... sale is via a broker.  Survey cost is overall including pulling it out of the water, a week on hard standing and its not been a hire boat.

Typically how would one prove ownership?

1 minute ago, Minormatt said:

Typically how would one prove ownership?

A series of invoices to the seller, pertinent to the boat. Old CRT licenses, insurance certificates, engine service bills, blacking and hull work bills, etc etc.