Real Ash T&G flooring

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, markeymark said:

Thanks. Any  leads on good prices for any of the above?

You’ll just have to shop around. Solid won’t be cheap, wherever you go. Engineered will be cheaper and move less but can’t be sanded and refinished as much. 

2 hours ago, WotEver said:

You’ll just have to shop around. Solid won’t be cheap, wherever you go. Engineered will be cheaper and move less but can’t be sanded and refinished as much. 

I hadn't got the courage or experience to say that Ash wouldn't be suitable for flooring - but it seemed wrong. However, I will stick out for 'engineered' flooring as it's made for the job - the edges lock together better. T&G moves too much, so bits will get stuck in the grooves - and I do have experience of that!

More chance of a local supplier for proper flooring. 

Manufacturers for engineered and solid wood floors are among many Tarkett, Junckers, Havwoods etc https://www.havwoods.co.uk/

Brooks are suppliers they have several branches http://www.brookstimber.com/

I would go for good quality engineered flooring - remember to leave movement joints at the perimeter which can be filled using cork strips or concealed behind skirtings. Also put in access hatches at strategic points.

3 hours ago, WotEver said:

Engineered will be cheaper and move less but can’t be sanded and refinished as much. 

Bought mine from Poland to do the majority of my house- up and down as we`ve underfloor through out. It is 22mm thick with a 10mm wear layer. Capable of sanding down 6 times according to the manufacturer. It`s North European Oak (colder so slower growing)  so a tighter and harder wearing grain than for example American White oak. BUT a lot dearer. It will certainly outlive me and I suspect the next generation. Been down 10 years and as good as new inspite of the Grand children and their cars and believe it or not scooters. The`re spoilt - some might say, not disciplined properly, but they twist me around their little fingers.

5 minutes ago, markeymark said:

I am not much of a fan of engineered wood because it has MDF in it doesnt it?

Not mine-it`s layers, cross laid, of marine ply.

2 minutes ago, jddevel said:

It is 22mm thick with a 10mm wear layer

I would have thought that would have been more than good enough for a boat myself. However OP did specify ‘solid’. There again, he also specified Ash..

Good quality engineered wood flooring does not use mdf. It is usually cross laminated soft wood with the wearing layer bonded to it. The latter varies in thickness from a couple of mm to 10 or 12mm. Junckers is probably the best known commercial flooring brand and they do a variety of specifications to suit the clients requirements. You would get several re-sandings from a wearing layer 3or4mm thick.

Depending on what finish you are looking for, it may be worth looking at reclaimed flooring. There is loads available, with eBay normally producing results if you can't find anything local. A couple of advantages are that it is very stable, having done all the settling and moving that freshly laid floors tend to and it also generally comes in longer lengths, rather than the mixed sizes offered today. The oak in the picture was obtained through eBay at a cost of £300 for 30+ square metres.

FB_IMG_1519723483569.jpg

12 minutes ago, markeymark said:

Nice one, thanks. I am looking for reclaimed as it happens and will keep my eyes open on ebay and other sites. Was yours T&G ? Did you insulate under it before you laid it ?

Yes, it is tongue and groove-a very old style which has the look of being machined on site. I laid it on 3/4" plywood as headroom isn't a problem for me, and fixed to this hopefully any movement will be reduced. Mine was delivered for a small charge, good luck. 

1 hour ago, BWM said:

The oak in the picture was obtained through eBay at a cost of £300 for 30+ square metres.

There are some real chancers on Ebay right now. I’ve seen reclaimed oak flooring 20mm thick for £120/sq m!

That’s more than 10 times what you paid. 

This appears to be one of the best deals around at present - not t&g though:

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/rustic-reclaimed-Solid-oak-flooring/253433453504?hash=item3b01cf9bc0:g:I~4AAOSwU-1aiFrZ

6 minutes ago, WotEver said:

There are some real chancers on Ebay right now. I’ve seen reclaimed oak flooring 20mm thick for £120/sq m!

That’s more than 10 times what you paid. 

This appears to be one of the best deals around at present - not t&g though:

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/rustic-reclaimed-Solid-oak-flooring/253433453504?hash=item3b01cf9bc0:g:I~4AAOSwU-1aiFrZ

It wasn't a particularly good grade but i achieved the finish by hand, so not too bad. They had a struggle planing it, due to a fair number of staples embedded in it but they are not really noticeable and add a little character. You can see a board at the bottom of the picture below which shows one before cleaning up. 

Those prices are astonishing, with the ones in your second post being way past their best. I blame Hackney hipsters..

20180218_152129.jpg

1 hour ago, BWM said:

Those prices are astonishing, with the ones in your second post being way past their best. I blame Hackney hipsters..

I blame Drew...

14 minutes ago, Psycloud said:

I'm considering bamboo flooring for when we do ours.  I got some samples sent and it is extremely tough.  https://simplybamboo.co.uk

Be very wary of damp. Even a mop must be wrung out really dry or you’ll ruin it. And never come in with wet shoes.