Oxford moorings

Scarletgirl

Featured Posts

Hi. We’ve just booked a 2 week trip, end of May into June, going from Stockton. We’re planning a leisurely trip to Oxford & back. Have previously been as far as Aynho (and done the Leicester Ring from Stockton as well as arriving there from Warwick way!) Would be grateful for any advice on where we can moor for a couple of nights so that we can explore a bit of Oxford? Many thanks 

If you want to explore Oxford, why not moor in Banbury? The station is about 7 minutes' walk from the canal and there are frequent fast trains ( a couple per hour, journey time about 20 minutes) to Oxford. The 'bus station is even closer to the canal and departures are equally frequent, though the journey takes about 75 minutes.

Edited by Athy

28 minutes ago, Athy said:

If you want to explore Oxford, why not moor in Banbury? The station is about 7 minutes' walk from the canal and there are frequent fast trains ( a couple per hour, journey time about 20 minutes) to Oxford. The 'bus station is even closer to the canal and departures are equally frequent, though the journey takes about 75 minutes.

But that way you miss some of the best parts of the canal!

How's about mooring at Thrupp. Nicer surroundings and the bus stops just by the (other) pub? An alternative is Lower Heyford, not quite so near but there is an occasional train - the station's almost in the canal...

If you want any hints about things to do in Oxford that don't get publicised - just ask.  

22 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

How's about mooring at Thrupp. Nicer surroundings and the bus stops just by the (other) pub? An alternative is Lower Heyford, not quite so near but there is an occasional train - the station's almost in the canal...

Yes, good suggestions. I thought of Banbury because of the frequent trains.

1 minute ago, Athy said:

Yes, good suggestions. I thought of Banbury because of the frequent trains.

There is probably a train from Stockton too, that way they could avoid hiring a boat at all...

26 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

How's about mooring at Thrupp.

But this STILL misses out the very BEST bit of the Oxford, the gloomy and ephemeral run through Jericho behind all the posh houses backing onto the cut. And the opportunity to do the tiny and pretty little Thames ring via the Sheepwash channel and Duke's cut. 

In answer to the Question.

you can moor right in Oxford but moorings are scarce and sometimes us. We have been twice and had no problem though. Look at the map, you'll see the moorings. Two minutes walk into the town. A bit hit and miss if you're unlucky. Also noisy from the rail station.

If you're going that far, you have to don't you?

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

Stockton, Schmockton, I should worry.

Your spell checker is busted!!

Just now, Nightwatch said:

In answer to the Question.

you can moor right in Oxford but moorings are scarce and sometimes us. We have been twice and had no problem though. Look at the map, you'll see the moorings. Two minutes walk into the town. A bit hit and miss if you're unlucky. Also noisy from the rail station.

If you're going that far, you have to don't you?

^^^This^^^

Cruise right down into oxford I suggest, then if no space turn and come back out until you DO find a space. There are several opportunities and if all are full, you'll definitely find somewhere around Dukes cut junction which is still (long) walking distance from the city centre.

5 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

There is probably a train from Stockton too, that way they could avoid hiring a boat at all...

Quite, the OP is in Cardif, they could easily get a train the Oxford from there!  In Oxford just before you get to Isis lock down onto the Thames there are plenty of 48 hour moorings.  However if the boat is longer than 50 ft you will need to drop down the lock to turn round.

With 2 weeks you hav lots of time for Stockton to Oxford and back, so why not have a couple of days on the Thames for a bit of a difference, you could then go Dukes Cut onto the Thames go upstream a bit and then come back to Oxford and back onto the canal at Sherpwash Channel and Isis lock.

7 minutes ago, Athy said:

Nah, I think it goes only as far as Darlington.

Please tell me you were not a geography teacher :D

8 minutes ago, john6767 said:

With 2 weeks you hav lots of time for Stockton to Oxford and back, so why not have a couple of days on the Thames for a bit of a difference, you could then go Dukes Cut onto the Thames go upstream a bit and then come back to Oxford and back onto the canal at Sherpwash Channel and Isis lock.

There are good moorings on the Thames in Oxford above Osney Lock in East Street.  When I was last there you could moor for free for a period (24 hours?) then pay for a longer stay.

You may have to buy a visitor licence though.

Thanks everyone (I think lol!). I was worried that it might be too busy but the suggestion of going that far to have a look & turning round if we have to is sensible! Hadn’t thought of going onto the river but that’s definitely something to look into. Can we get a visitor licence locally or will we need to arrange one in advance? Will need to check with the hire company too that we can do that - and that they give us the necessary kit! (though we have been on rivers with them before). Looking forward to getting Pearson out once again - and OH will have his Nicholson’s!!!! 

12 minutes ago, philjw said:

There are good moorings on the Thames in Oxford above Osney Lock in East Street.  When I was last there you could moor for free for a period (24 hours?) then pay for a longer stay.

You may have to buy a visitor licence though.

Yes I was going to say that as well, but there are 2 points relevant to using the East Street moorings, you would be facing the wrong way so would need to turn on the river either above or below Onsey lock, and you would need an additional days river licence with if you only had a 1 or 2 day one would be expensive just to moor there overnight when you could lock up onto the canal and not need to do that.

2 minutes ago, Scarletgirl said:

Thanks everyone (I think lol!). I was worried that it might be too busy but the suggestion of going that far to have a look & turning round if we have to is sensible! Hadn’t thought of going onto the river but that’s definitely something to look into. Can we get a visitor licence locally or will we need to arrange one in advance? Will need to check with the hire company too that we can do that - and that they give us the necessary kit! (though we have been on rivers with them before). Looking forward to getting Pearson out once again - and OH will have his Nicholson’s!!!! 

You just buy the Thames licence at the first lock you come to.  Of course you should check with the hire company, Kate Boats I assume, but I would be surprised it they have an assume with you going on the river, they would I assume give you an anchor if you told them your plan.

8 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

When we passed through late last summer we didn't bother turning to face the flow. Many others didn't either. On the open river we did.

As a single hander on a narrow boat it is a lot easier and safer to moor on a river facing downstream. Just step off the back with the stern line and secure to a bollard.

If facing upstream one needs to alight from the boat with the bow line to avoid the risk of the current turning the boat around, and my bow line is not long enough to reach the stern where the helm is. 

37 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

When we passed through late last summer we didn't bother turning to face the flow. Many others didn't either. On the open river we did.

Sorry I did not make it clear, I was assuming they would approach from upstream, and then want to go back upstream to  Sheepwash, so that was the reason to turn, not to moor facing upstream.

44 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Yes I was going to say that as well, but there are 2 points relevant to using the East Street moorings, you would be facing the wrong way so would need to turn on the river either above or below Onsey lock, and you would need an additional days river licence with if you only had a 1 or 2 day one would be expensive just to moor there overnight when you could lock up onto the canal and not need to do that.

You just buy the Thames licence at the first lock you come to.  Of course you should check with the hire company, Kate Boats I assume, but I would be surprised it they have an assume with you going on the river, they would I assume give you an anchor if you told them your plan.

I didn't mention the East Street moorings before because it seemed pointless to pay for a day's licence (which is actually two days for the price of one) just to moor the boat?

They are very nice moorings; surprisingly quiet, especially if you moor near the lock. The road over the bridge is one of the main routes into the city. The moorings are free, but you do have to register your arrival and departure with www.ThamesVisitorMoorings.co.uk 

If the OP is going to that expense then (IMHO) as I am biased, it's much nicer to skip the rather gloomy entrance to the City via the canal and go via Duke's Cut and the Thames. It's a bit quicker as well.

You also have to factor in the time factor. It's at least 1/2 a day from Thrupp down to Oxford and a lot less by bus or train!  

41 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Sorry I did not make it clear, I was assuming they would approach from upstream, and then want to go back upstream to  Sheepwash, so that was the reason to turn, not to moor facing upstream.

Ooops!! My apologies.