Bss signs

MHS

Featured Posts

I have struggled to find a definitive guide to which signs (if any) are compulsory for the bss on a private boat. Our battery isolation switches are not labelled, should they be? Can’t easily find it on the bss website  

The general rule is that if you can't see a safety feature it needs a label.

Always visible isolation switches are fine, those under deckboards or in cupboards need a label.

Similarly with gas valves or fuel cocks.

The only mandatory one I can remember is the fuel type label (although ours has DIESEL embossed in the fuel filler cap) but it depends where the switches or valves are located.

These are the ones that are listed. My own rule of thumb is when in doubt label it. You may know what the switch does or whats behind the cover. Someone else will not. Anything involving mains voltage should be labeled.  

2.1.2 Fuel type in use must be correctly and clearly marked on or adjacent to the fuel filling point.

Applicability
– the use of embossed tape (e.g. Dymo) or other lettering that can become illegible through cleaning or normal use is not acceptable.
The marking must be legible with all lettering complete.
Applicability
– marking fuel filling points solely with ‘fuel’ or ‘gas’ is not acceptable.
Applicability
– marking fuel filling points with the internationally accepted symbol is acceptable.

2.13.3 Are all fuel shut-off valves or cocks, or their means of operation, in open view or their location clearly marked?

3.6.5 Is the location of all battery isolators, or the means to operate them, in open view, or their location clearly marked?

7.6.2 Are the locations of all LPG system shut-off valves, or their means of operation, in open view, or their locations clearly marked?

BSS general requirements:

Control and emergency devices, or their means of operation, must be marked when not in clear view or when their function is not clear.

Edited by nbfiresprite

53 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Yeah, 'course they should. Doesn't matter whether BSS requires it or not - it just makes sense. :)

Sounds likely that I’ll be fitting them when next aboard in 2 weeks time. I just don’t like the idea of putting a sign on a nice kitchen cabinet door. But needs must. 

12 minutes ago, MHS said:

Sounds likely that I’ll be fitting them when next aboard in 2 weeks time. I just don’t like the idea of putting a sign on a nice kitchen cabinet door. But needs must. 

They're in a kitchen cabinet?!  I'd have gone for putting them in the fridge as the cold will be better for electrical conductivity! ;)

28 minutes ago, MHS said:

Or you could put a sign above/below the cupboard door saying "Master switch in cupboard below/above" to avoid putting it on the door itself.

Or you could get your local sign-writter in to paint the words in a gentle arc across the door, with 3D shading on the letters.

Edited by David Mack

19 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

They're in a kitchen cabinet?!  I'd have gone for putting them in the fridge as the cold will be better for electrical conductivity! ;)

The domestic isolator is on the rear bulkhead, immediately where the battery cable enters the boat. The battery bank is just inches away. 

32 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

You could always rewire the boat so the switches are in clear view :P

Are you offering to help?!?!

22 minutes ago, MHS said:

Are you offering to help?!?!

I will if we're close together sometime and you really do want to relocate the switches. Doesn't seem like a bad idea though where something you might need to get to in an emergency is concerned. In the meantime, how's about a label which won't mark your kitchen cupboards when you remove it?

I’m happy with where they’re located, so no plans to change them. I’ve ordered some labels now, so will have them for when we go aboard. 

15 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I'm in Tarleton at the moment.  When are you coming down?

We haven’t turned left at Wigan yet when heading North. We are planning to head back that way at the end of the year, so will have to explore the NW. 

18 hours ago, MHS said:

I have struggled to find a definitive guide to which signs (if any) are compulsory for the bss on a private boat. Our battery isolation switches are not labelled, should they be? Can’t easily find it on the bss website  

why can't you find the requirements of the BSS.  comes up at first google entry: https://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/media/180428/bss guide 2005 complete web.pdf

probably has been updated but the information is all there.

1 minute ago, Murflynn said:

why can't you find the requirements of the BSS.  comes up at first google entry: https://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/media/180428/bss guide 2005 complete web.pdf

So in the 172 pages, does it actually say that a battery isolation sign is compulsory? I’ve looked previously and couldn’t find it. Do please find it for me if you can. Cheers Mike

1 minute ago, Murflynn said:

The 2005 version you found has been superseded by the 2013 version (for private boats - I think hire and commercial boats are still subject to the original 2002(?) version). 

Just now, David Mack said:

The 2005 version you found has been superseded by the 2013 version (for private boats - I think hire and commercial boats are still subject to the original 2002(?) version). 

I’ve had a look at both versions and couldn’t find the info I wanted. 

21 minutes ago, MHS said:

I’ve had a look at both versions and couldn’t find the info I wanted. 

Is what you want ?

2015 BSS Section 3.6.5

Is the location of all battery isolators, or the means to operate them, in open view, or their
location clearly marked?

Check that all battery isolators, or their means of
operation, are in open view with all removable lids, deck
boards, curtains, doors, etc in place.
If not in open view check their location is clearly
marked in open view.

Battery isolators, or the means to operate them,
must:
• be in open view with all removable lids, deck
boards, doors, etc in place; or,
• have their location clearly marked in open view.

7 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Is what you want ?

2015 BSS Section 3.6.5

Is the location of all battery isolators, or the means to operate them, in open view, or their
location clearly marked?

Check that all battery isolators, or their means of
operation, are in open view with all removable lids, deck
boards, curtains, doors, etc in place.
If not in open view check their location is clearly
marked in open view.

must:

Great, thanks for finding that. As I mentioned, I’ve ordered the signs so we are good to go. 

Our boat is coming up to 4 years old and was covered by its RCD. However the builder also paid for a BSS which it passed. I rang the examiner and he was very happy with everything. No mention of lack of signage. Is this new to 2015, as I couldn’t find it in the earlier versions? I will have another look. 

No its also 3.6.5 in the 2005 edition too. 

29 minutes ago, MHS said:

However the builder also paid for a BSS which it passed

Unfortunately an increasingly common story - boats pass the BSS when they do not comply.

It does tend to make one question the usefulness of the BSS when the requirements are not met and yet it gets the certificate.

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Unfortunately an increasingly common story - boats pass the BSS when they do not comply.

It does tend to make one question the usefulness of the BSS when the requirements are not met and yet it gets the certificate.

This was mentioned in the sad boat fire thread. One member suggesting their friend’s boat passed with a catalogue of issues with its stove. 

I suppose some regulations are open to interpretation. 

Just now, MHS said:

I suppose some regulations are open to interpretation. 

How can the instructions in 3:6:5 be misinterpreted ?

must:

Not in clear view (in a kitchen cupboard), No labels = failure, no question.

I’m in total agreement with you Alan. 

The reason for my original post, is that I was surprised that they were not fitted on our new boat if they were compulsory. 

The problem looking through 170 odd pages of a pdf on an iPhone is that I’m not aware of a search facility to find the one clause you want.