Ready to buy any advice please

PMcC

Featured Posts

I think you need to get over here and start stepping onto and wandering around boats. Each narrowboat is essentially a custom built craft, and each person lives on their boat in their own way and has their own quirky demands of it. There are so many different variations in layout and style and levels of technology and comfort (or not), I find it hard to understand how you could commission a boat, or even fit one out, without having a reasonably good idea of the variations. Perhaps you have this kind of experience already -- in other boats or camper vans or tiny houses -- but your opening query doesn't suggest this.

We bought our 53-footer at Braunston, and I recommend them highly, because they had a decent selection of second-hand boats, are friendly, are knowledgeable and they went out of their way to help us. Just our personal experience. We visited Whilton Marina as well, and found a good selection of boats available, though they didn't seem as discerning about what they accepted on their books as Braunston. Again, just our experience. We looked at boats up at ABNB in Crick over this past summer. We found them highly competent and knowledgeable. The woman who showed us the three boats we were interested in lived on a narrowboat herself and was refreshingly frank about what we looked at. Their individual 'boat brochures' are famed for comprehensiveness -- you could download a couple to get a flavour of what's out there at: http://www.abnb.co.uk/boats_for_sale.html

I have not met anyone who has completed a narrowboat fit-out in less than 2 years good solid work. I've met uncountable people who are in their 4th or 5th year of fit-out who admit that it is something that has taken much longer than they expected. And there are hundreds of 'project boats' out there for sale by people who have given up or moved on or changed interest. I think you have to ask yourself if you'd be happy camping out in a boat a couple of years down the line. 

There are a few first-class boats out there that are only a couple of years old, made by quality builders and fitters, that are for sale by people who spent a lot of money only to find that the boating lifestyle wasn't really for them -- for a whole variety of reasons. If you happened to like one of these you could get a real bargain, without messing about building or commissioning over a couple of years. Just go cruising. Now.

Best of luck with all this. It'll certainly will be an interesting experience!

• Greenie 3

As Jim Batty has said and its all good sense, I would add that to fit out a boat you need to have a lot of skills, plumbing, electrics. gas. woodwork, probably a bit of welding as well, plus a huge heap of tools, electricity on site, the knowledge of where to source all the stuff, ballast, a van to lug it all back to the boat and some ability in what is now called project management. I've always built my own boats - I like doing stuff - but I started in my 20's and there were no standards to adhere to. I would not like to start another unless I really liked the building process, if I just wanted to get afloat and had a good budget I would look for a quality boat just a few years old.

• Happy 1

27 minutes ago, Jim Batty said:

I think you need to get over here and start stepping onto and wandering around boats. Each narrowboat is essentially a custom built craft, and each person lives on their boat in their own way and has their own quirky demands of it. There are so many different variations in layout and style and levels of technology and comfort (or not), I find it hard to understand how you could commission a boat, or even fit one out, without having a reasonably good idea of the variations. Perhaps you have this kind of experience already -- in other boats or camper vans or tiny houses -- but your opening query doesn't suggest this.

We bought our 53-footer at Braunston, and I recommend them highly, because they had a decent selection of second-hand boats, are friendly, are knowledgeable and they went out of their way to help us. Just our personal experience. We visited Whilton Marina as well, and found a good selection of boats available, though they didn't seem as discerning about what they accepted on their books as Braunston. Again, just our experience. We looked at boats up at ABNB in Crick over this past summer. We found them highly competent and knowledgeable. The woman who showed us the three boats we were interested in lived on a narrowboat herself and was refreshingly frank about what we looked at. Their individual 'boat brochures' are famed for comprehensiveness -- you could download a couple to get a flavour of what's out there at: http://www.abnb.co.uk/boats_for_sale.html

I have not met anyone who has completed a narrowboat fit-out in less than 2 years good solid work. I've met uncountable people who are in their 4th or 5th year of fit-out who admit that it is something that has taken much longer than they expected. And there are hundreds of 'project boats' out there for sale by people who have given up or moved on or changed interest. I think you have to ask yourself if you'd be happy camping out in a boat a couple of years down the line. 

There are a few first-class boats out there that are only a couple of years old, made by quality builders and fitters, that are for sale by people who spent a lot of money only to find that the boating lifestyle wasn't really for them -- for a whole variety of reasons. If you happened to like one of these you could get a real bargain, without messing about building or commissioning over a couple of years. Just go cruising. Now.

Thanks Jim, we've been in touch before, I'm the photographer who bought your book :)) I've a lot of experience in interior building, although as you say I've not enough knowledge. I'm sure your right that I need a used boat and have been looking. It doesn't look the right time at the moment as a lot are sold.

I'm hoping that will change over the next few weeks, so I can buy one. Looking forward to meeting you one day . and thanks for your super input.

Phill

9 minutes ago, Bee said:

As Jim Batty has said and its all good sense, I would add that to fit out a boat you need to have a lot of skills, plumbing, electrics. gas. woodwork, probably a bit of welding as well, plus a huge heap of tools, electricity on site, the knowledge of where to source all the stuff, ballast, a van to lug it all back to the boat and some ability in what is now called project management. I've always built my own boats - I like doing stuff - but I started in my 20's and there were no standards to adhere to. I would not like to start another unless I really liked the building process, if I just wanted to get afloat and had a good budget I would look for a quality boat just a few years old.

Thanks Bee If I can find a decent boat that suits me that's what I'm going to do, having spent a lot of time converting an old barn in France, it's time to enjoy a calm life :)

14 hours ago, PMcC said:

Thanks Jim, we've been in touch before, I'm the photographer who bought your book :)) I've a lot of experience in interior building, although as you say I've not enough knowledge. I'm sure your right that I need a used boat and have been looking. It doesn't look the right time at the moment as a lot are sold.

I'm hoping that will change over the next few weeks, so I can buy one. Looking forward to meeting you one day . and thanks for your super input.

Phill

Thanks Bee If I can find a decent boat that suits me that's what I'm going to do, having spent a lot of time converting an old barn in France, it's time to enjoy a calm life :)

Ah Phill, didn't realise it was you. I looked at your YouTube site and was very impressed with the photo tutorials you offer. You have a lot of experience, and clearly you're putting a heck of a lot back in to the profession for the next generation.

I guess you're right, there seems to be a lot of movement with narrowboat sales already. Out of 11 boats for sale at Braunston, three have offers on them. (I think brokers keep lots of 'Sold' boats info up, to show they're players). ABNB's compare page shows about 30 available for sale out of 40 listed. Rugby has 8 available and 4 under offer. Whilton have 26 up for sale and 26 under offer. Remarkable given that its sub-zero February.

6 hours ago, Jim Batty said:

Ah Phill, didn't realise it was you. I looked at your YouTube site and was very impressed with the photo tutorials you offer. You have a lot of experience, and clearly you're putting a heck of a lot back in to the profession for the next generation.

I guess you're right, there seems to be a lot of movement with narrowboat sales already. Out of 11 boats for sale at Braunston, three have offers on them. (I think brokers keep lots of 'Sold' boats info up, to show they're players). ABNB's compare page shows about 30 available for sale out of 40 listed. Rugby has 8 available and 4 under offer. Whilton have 26 up for sale and 26 under offer. Remarkable given that its sub-zero February.

Thanks, I'll be over next week so I'll have a look around, I'll certainly do Whilton and Braunstone and if I have time Rugby.

On ‎23‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 21:38, Richard T said:

You coluld do a lot worse than buy Willow Too which is about to come on the market https://www.facebook.com/Beacon-Boats-Ltd-208063042540748/?hc_ref=ARRRGh0mFivRQIUsadNEebrgj0vlVI5VJ8oY0QlSfRRfzbdFsnkadwGdOkUZ2uGvU94&fref=nf

If you want mnore information PM with an email address and I'll put you in touch with the right person.

I beg to differ W2 may be a nice boat but - a proper 70ft Roger Fuller has just sold for less than that - and ABNB currently have a Roger Farrington at app £100k - both way out of my budget but IMHO no comparison.

On 23/02/2018 at 17:53, Mac of Cygnet said:

Dogmatic statements about cruiser vs. trad vs. semi-trad are very unhelpful to someone who has not made their mind up. Personally, I much prefer a cruiser stern and I am singlehanding almost all the time.  I prefer the freedom to move around and it's much easier to ger on and off a cruiser stern. Your last sentence is particularly untrue and biased. 

Cruiser every time for me and am a lone live-aboard....sitting out on a summer evening after work :cheers: and that is to myself or to colleagues who visit

On 24/02/2018 at 21:30, Jim Batty said:

Swanley Bridge did a great job on my behalf....very open, very honest and worked hard on both seller and buyer behalf.

.....beats the monopolistic mafia style brokers hands down.

On 25/02/2018 at 08:32, Athy said:

Yes, it's very useful.

...agreed but as all of the wonderful advice will point you at.....I had to walk on touch feel, smell and contemplate the boats in person.

As I was advised on here, my whole perception of what I wanted compared to what I would buy was constantly moving....I'm a newbie of 6 months but loving it and don't know where I'd be without all of the advice, banter and thought provoking comments on here!

These folk are quality.....quite often running off topic on a historical banter trail but it all makes life more amusing and helps the stress levels - MOST of the time ;)

:cheers:

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

...agreed but as all of the wonderful advice will point you at.....I had to walk on touch feel, smell and contemplate the boats in person.

As I was advised on here, my whole perception of what I wanted compared to what I would buy was constantly moving....I'm a newbie of 6 months but loving it and don't know where I'd be without all of the advice, banter and thought provoking comments on here!

These folk are quality.....quite often running off topic on a historical banter trail but it all makes life more amusing and helps the stress levels - MOST of the time ;)

:cheers:

Agreed but go off topic never :)