Ready to buy any advice please

PMcC

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, dmr said:

Boaters are mostly a friendly bunch and love to talk about their boats and life. You can certainly visit various brokers, but also get yourself down to some of the popular canal locations and talk to the people who actually live on boats. You will get many conflicting ideas so ultimately you should make your own decision, though a trad trad with a proper engine room and a pump out bog is obviously the only way to go :D:D.

.............Dave

I'll let you know :)) just a bit afraid of falling off :)

You coluld do a lot worse than buy Willow Too which is about to come on the market https://www.facebook.com/Beacon-Boats-Ltd-208063042540748/?hc_ref=ARRRGh0mFivRQIUsadNEebrgj0vlVI5VJ8oY0QlSfRRfzbdFsnkadwGdOkUZ2uGvU94&fref=nf

If you want mnore information PM with an email address and I'll put you in touch with the right person.

5 minutes ago, Richard T said:

You coluld do a lot worse than buy Willow Too which is about to come on the market https://www.facebook.com/Beacon-Boats-Ltd-208063042540748/?hc_ref=ARRRGh0mFivRQIUsadNEebrgj0vlVI5VJ8oY0QlSfRRfzbdFsnkadwGdOkUZ2uGvU94&fref=nf

If you want mnore information PM with an email address and I'll put you in touch with the right person.

She looks great but I imagine out of my price range, I also won't be financially ready until the end of April so a bit early. Thank you anyway.

Thanks Dave, I'm thinking about starting in the Northhampton area is that a good choice ?

11 hours ago, OldGoat said:

Brilliant - much more succinct than I was about to say.

A further suggestion is that you add -

• Ducts in the floor for water and heating pipes
  • timbers under the gunnels to fox gas pipes and some electrical feeds
  • Ducts in the ceiling on both sides for cables for lighting, aerial cables, loudspeaker feeds w.h.y
  • Traps in the floor for inspection etc
  • Holes in the roof for ventillators

Have most of that done before the sprayfoam, so you don't have to fiddle with cutting it at afterwards.

The above approach will keep cables and pipes tidy and sooo much easier to lay - especially as you said you were uneasy about electrics. FWIW on my boat I made the ceiling duct covers part of the style rather than disguising them. 

Thankyou all good advice , if I go the sailaway route

3 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

I assume you mean Polyurea? Can you be more specifc. What type of Polyurea? Who are you going to get to do it?

YES i meant that :) I've no idea who does it yet.

25 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Why would you choose a Polyurea coating?

Apparently it drys rock hard and is almost indestructible and is the most modern hull protection , now that's only what I've read :) 

6 hours ago, rusty69 said:

The big brokerage at Whilton is good for comparing boats, and not too far from Braunston. Also ABNB at Crick. 

Thankyou I'll spend a couple of days in the area

If you haven't already I'd suggest you look at the youtube video blogs Journey with Jono and Cruising the Cut  the former bought a sailaway a just over a year ago and gives a good idea of what's involved in bringing it up to scratch whereas the latter starts with looking to buy a used boat, purchasing it and gradually making alteration to suit his needs. 

17 minutes ago, PMcC said:

Thank you I'll spend a couple of days in the area

What you will find is that most major places on the Midlands canals, though they may be days apart by water, are actually quite close to each other geographically. So in a couple of days you could visit Braunston Marina, Whilton Marina, Rugby Boats (who are not in Rugby any more - beware!), ABNB and so on.

Mind you, you will emerge with your head spinning because you have seen so many boats in a short time.

Just now, Athy said:

What you will find is that most major places on the Midlands canals, though they may be days apart by water, are actually quite close to each other geographically. So in a couple of days you could visit Braunston Marina, Whilton Marina, Rugby Boats (who are not in Rugby any more - beware!), ABNB and so on.

Mind you, you will emerge with your head spinning because you have seen so many boats in a short time.

It's been spinning for a long time already :).