How not to start the day

p6rob

Featured Posts

Fire's gone out. Went to empty ash pan and instead of bringing the ash bucket to the fire like normal, decided to carry the ash pan outside to the bucket, spin around and promptly dropped the ash pan onto the sofa. 

Have vacuumed it up as best as possible and now waiting to see if the sofa starts smouldering.

Wonder if I should just go back to bed before there's any more minor disasters.

2 minutes ago, p6rob said:

Fire's gone out. Went to empty ash pan and instead of bringing the ash bucket to the fire like normal, decided to carry the ash pan outside to the bucket, spin around and promptly dropped the ash pan onto the sofa. 

Have vacuumed it up as best as possible and now waiting to see if the sofa starts smouldering.

Go back to bed ;)

55 minutes ago, p6rob said:

Pi*sed again Rob lol :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, p6rob said:

Have vacuumed it up as best as possible

Swerving right off topic, which vacuum cleaner do you use? The bagless ones are generally incapable of dealing with dust as fine as ash. They block up the fine filter if they have one, or just shoot a fine cloud of it straight back out into the room atmosphere in my limited experience of hoovers!

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Swerving right off topic, which vacuum cleaner do you use? The bagless ones are generally incapable of dealing with dust as fine as ash. They block up the fine filter if they have one, or just shoot a fine cloud of it straight back out into the room atmosphere in my limited experience of hoovers!

I normally use a dustpan and brush, however, some time ago, BSP sent a link to some offers and I bought a handheld, bagless, cordless VAX vacuum. Can't remember the model number and am at work now, so can't check. It doesn't get much use but seems to cope ok. Certainly doesn't shoot the ash straight out and I tend to empty it and bang the filter out after each use.

5 hours ago, p6rob said:

Moral of that is dont let the fire go out. .......in this weather as well!!:giggles:

You need an ash carrier, like a "Tippy" or similar.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=tippy+ash+carrier&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=194668184574&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2250802692676898868&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007147&hvtargid=kwd-4658794469&ref

We had one on our last shareboat, it was an excellent addition. No need to have one on the current boat because it has a oil fired drip feed stove.

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

You need an ash carrier, like a "Tippy" or similar.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=tippy+ash+carrier&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=194668184574&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2250802692676898868&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007147&hvtargid=kwd-4658794469&ref

We had one on our last shareboat, it was an excellent addition. No need to have one on the current boat because it has a oil fired drip feed stove.

At the time, I had no idea that Tippys existed, so made my own.

The ash pan is emptied in to it at the stove, then moved outside for 24 hours to cool before disposal. When the moorings here were emptied and drained for lock gate replacement you could tell which boaters tipped their ash over the side by the mound on the bottom. Fortunately, it is 5 to 6' deep here.

Jen

IMG_20180224_131411.jpg