boat fire

dccruiser

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I would refer back to my post No 37, dated 23/Feb

It is speculation and maybe we should await the full findings, but how would the investigators identify that the door was intentionally left open, rather than not 'properly closed & latched' and during the night a log rolled within the fire box, pushing the door open and then rolled out ?

"intentionally" isn't in the fire service report:

A joint fire investigation has taken place with colleagues from West Midlands Fire Service and Staffordshire Police. This found that the fire started accidentally, after a multi-fuel burner door was left open and a lit item fell onto nearby carpet.

3 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

"intentionally" isn't in the fire service report:

Ok - I rephrase it :

How do they know the DOOR WAS LEFT OPEN, rather than NOT PROPERLY 'CLICKED CLOSED' and came open when a log fell against it during the night.

A makes a big difference to the advice to avoid such accidents in the future, either :

1) Make sure your stove door is shut, or

2) Make sure your door is correctly closed and the locking mechanism 'clicked' down.

A joint investigation with Staffordshire and West Midlands Fire Services and Staffordshire Police found the fire started accidentally, after a multi-fuel burner door was left open and a lit item fell onto nearby carpet.

8 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I just wondered if there were lessons to be learned and hopefully she didn't burn to death but died in her sleep

Brian,

Plenty of the reports say she was removed from the boat, and that CPR was given. Some also say she died from cardiac arrest.  I have certainly been assured that she was not in the part of the boat with the fire, and it is unlikely that she had any idea what happened, I believe.

51 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Ok - I rephrase it :

How do they know the DOOR WAS LEFT OPEN, rather than NOT PROPERLY 'CLICKED CLOSED' and came open when a log fell against it during the night.

A makes a big difference to the advice to avoid such accidents in the future, either :

1) Make sure your stove door is shut, or

2) Make sure your door is correctly closed and the locking mechanism 'clicked' down.

A joint investigation with Staffordshire and West Midlands Fire Services and Staffordshire Police found the fire started accidentally, after a multi-fuel burner door was left open and a lit item fell onto nearby carpet.

Probably in official reports if a door is found open during the investigation it will be described as left open which includes all levels of not closed securely.  It would be speculation to say otherwise.

2 minutes ago, Nut said:

not the topic to ask

but do people leave the door open on a there stoves etc if so why?  my mum and dad never did at home

We don't onboard. But, I have known the door to ping open after a door seal refurb. You have to be careful and vigilant. We also let the fire go right down at night. 

Certainly you shouldnt put fuel higher than the front log guard, however having done a really stupid thing this year, got up at 4 to a low fire opened damper to get it to pick up. Course i went to sleep. Woken at 5 to sound of ecofan on turbo mode , and kettle whistling its head off. It was a bit warm in the cabin. I always leave a full kettle on the fire and this time it might have saved us.

1 hour ago, alan_fincher said:

Brian,

Plenty of the reports say she was removed from the boat, and that CPR was given. Some also say she died from cardiac arrest.  I have certainly been assured that she was not in the part of the boat with the fire, and it is unlikely that she had any idea what happened, I believe.

That is what I suspected as the dog died as well. Dogs seem very susceptible to CO The chap in Banbury who died had his dog at his feet

1 hour ago, Nut said:

not the topic to ask

but do people leave the door open on a there stoves etc if so why?  my mum and dad never did at home

You shouldn't, but people sometimes do for various reasons.

The problem is you may intend to only have it open a short while and monitor it closely, but if you sit down for a moment and drift into sleep when you hadn't planned it the result could be disastrous.

I would say never ever do it.

• Greenie 2

14 hours ago, Nut said:

not the topic to ask

It helps a fire to draw, so if your lighting the fire leaving the door open a touch can help the fuel to catch.

It used to be a regular thing in the days of open fires to hold a piece of paper in front of the fire for a similar effect.

As has been said a dodgy thing to do but it does have a point

4 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

It helps a fire to draw, so if your lighting the fire leaving the door open a touch can help the fuel to catch.

It used to be a regular thing in the days of open fires to hold a piece of paper in front of the fire for a similar effect.

Yep, I watched my Dad do that many a morning when I was small. Later, I sometimes did likewise when the fire was sulking. It always helped. Only when we moved to our present house, which has a Clearview stove rather than an open fire, did I stop doing it. The trick was to look for signs of the newspaper starting to scorch, and to withdraw it when it did.

7 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

As has been said a dodgy thing to do but it does have a point

Maybe I am misunderstanding your post, but :

In days of yor we would open the ash-pan-flap, and then cover up the fireplace opening excluding the ash-pan-flap so that the air would be drawn up from below the fire, once the draw got established there was quite a roar and the newspaper started to turn brown and crispy, that was the time to rapidly shove it into the fire with a poker.

Surely opening the door is the reverse of this ?

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

Maybe I am misunderstanding your post, but :

In days of yor we would open the ash-pan-flap, and then cover up the fireplace opening excluding the ash-pan-flap so that the air would be drawn up from below the fire, once the draw got established there was quite a roar and the newspaper started to turn brown and crispy, that was the time to rapidly shove it into the fire with a poker.

Surely opening the door is the reverse of this ?

Try it, open the door ever so slightly 

3 minutes ago, Athy said:

Yep, I watched my Dad do that many a morning when I was small. Later, I sometimes did likewise when the fire was sulking. It always helped. Only when we moved to our present house, which has a Clearview stove rather than an open fire, did I stop doing it. The trick was to look for signs of the newspaper starting to scorch, and to withdraw it when it did.

Yes you had to be quick to whip the paper away before signs of scorching turned into flames, milliseconds counted!

2 minutes ago, Phil Ambrose said:

Yes you had to be quick to whip the paper away before signs of scorching turned into flames, milliseconds counted!

I got caught doing this one winter's evening on purpose, I was watching the flaming ash get draw up the chimney, just as the folks came home through a shower of hot paper ash ;)

15 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Try it, open the door ever so slightly 

Its a bit difficult with an eberspacher !!!

But there again it seems to 'draw' quite well on its own. Turn the knob and away it goes, when the room gets hot, it goes to sleep for a while, when the room cools, it bursts into life again.

A lot simpler than humping coal about and opening doors.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Its a bit difficult with an eberspacher !!!

But there again it seems to 'draw' quite well on its own. Turn the knob and away it goes, when the room gets hot, it goes to sleep for a while, when the room cools, it bursts into life again.

A lot simpler than humping coal about and opening doors.

Indeed, an d we have central heating too, both at home and on the boat. But it's not as cosy sitting round an Eberspacher on a dark winter evening.

I guess it depends on one's upbringing. When I was still at primary school, one of my jobs at home was to take the ashes out to the bin and to bring a hodful of coal back inside. So it was, and has remained, just a part of the daily routine. If I had been brought up in a house which hadn't had an open fire, I suppose I might view it as a dirt chore.

Most people used a page of the ''The News of the World'' to draw up their open fires in our street, and if everyone let go of them too early it got sucked up the chimney and away blowing down the street. You could then nip outside, collect them all and reasemble a complete Newspaper. :closedeyes:

Eggsadurashun.

39 minutes ago, Athy said:

Indeed, an d we have central heating too, both at home and on the boat. But it's not as cosy sitting round an Eberspacher on a dark winter evening.

I guess it depends on one's upbringing. When I was still at primary school, one of my jobs at home was to take the ashes out to the bin and to bring a hodful of coal back inside. So it was, and has remained, just a part of the daily routine. If I had been brought up in a house which hadn't had an open fire, I suppose I might view it as a dirt chore.

Drugged up in an old (1600s) solid walled house with open fires in every room (including the 3rd floor servants quarters which was my bedroom / lounge) but no fire allowed above the ground floor.

It was pretty cold in the winter with ice on the inside of the windows a daily event, a couple of times when it was particularly cold my breathe had condensed, frozen and dropped back onto my blankets and they were solid.

The worst was when the Goldfish bowl (in my bedroom) froze solid.

Electric 'Geyser' water heater above the Kitchen sink.

Only hot water on a Sunday (via the immersion heater) so could have a quick bath ready for school on Monday)

Never suffered with colds or flu.

Central heating was fitted on the ground floor many years after I left home.