Engine Room Racking

Mohsen

Featured Posts

Evening ladies and gents,

I want to keep basic tools, engine spares, bits and bobs, a couple of jerry cans of spare diesel, engine fluids, whatever else, in my engine bay. Its a widebeam, so I have space. Question is, how to keep it all organised?

I kinda think it would be good to weld something in, something modular that could house shelves, straps, holders, bungee cord etc. Has anyone done anything similar or have any ideas about what I could use?

TIA

38 minutes ago, koukouvagia said:

In the engine room of our motor, I used magnets.  Simple and flexible.

P1120396.JPG.ac6395b50a0fd84f92914a3685b0ae69.JPG

And those are just the tools you routinely need just to start a Kelvin! :P

(Do I get any points for guessing the photo was taken on the tow path just outside Braunston Marina?)

Edited by alan_fincher

1 hour ago, alan_fincher said:

And those are just the tools you routinely need just to start a Kelvin! :P

(Do I get any points for guessing the photo was taken on the tow path just outside Braunston Marina?)

Nah.  I just used to press the "Push Once" button. (Well, admittedly, there were a few things that needed attention prior to that.)

Spot on, Alan.  We hope to be at the Braunston Show again this year with Hampton.  

True.  These are the ones I needed to have to hand.  The rest of the tools were stored in Stackon toolchests in a workshop area.   I had so many tools on the boat that when I took them all off before selling it, the stern came out of the water by about 9" and I needed to add a substantial amount of ballast to compensate.

P1230156.JPG.3df13cbda9183292a3f6df6b0b150cff.JPG

Edited by koukouvagia

4 hours ago, koukouvagia said:

True.  These are the ones I needed to have to hand.  The rest of the tools were stored in Stackon toolchests in a workshop area.   I had so many tools on the boat that when I took them all off before selling it, the stern came out of the water by about 9" and I needed to add a substantial amount of ballast to compensate.

9"? That must have been a lot of tools!

I put half a tonne of ballast into my (widebeam) stern to get it down in the water by just 2".

33 minutes ago, blackrose said:

9"? That must have been a lot of tools!

I put half a tonne of ballast into my (widebeam) stern to get it down in the water by just 2".

It was only the back end that was out of the water that much.  I didn't want the the prop to suck in air.  That said, I accumulated an awful lot of tools and spares over thirty years and this set of Kelvin tools was no lightweight.

tools 7 (1).jpg

20 hours ago, Murflynn said:

What you have stuck on the wall looks more like a halfords display than a real toolkit.

An adjustable spanner is a tool that fits any size of nut equally badly - and he's got 2! That's what I call real dedication to having the wrong tool for any occasion! ;):D

17 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

An adjustable spanner is a tool that fits any size of nut equally badly - and he's got 2! That's what I call real dedication to having the wrong tool for any occasion! ;):D

The other one is a hammer substitute for when you *really* want to round the nut.

We need @RLWP with his picture of the bloke with an 8 foot nut-fu**er.

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

he doesn't even have a socket wrench to use with all those tidy sockets.    ............. just a poser, I reckon.  

...........................  coat :rolleyes:

7 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

There are three of them on that wall, not two.

7 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Manchester screwdriver as my Grandad used to call 'em.

Otherwise known as a Clarkson.

55 minutes ago, mark99 said:

Spanners/rachets spanners kept below gunwhale on those racks you can buy. The knobs are (in storage) part of side hatch locking system before anyone asks!

image.png.a1045a7fbd604f20354eddaa9e508733.png

Now those spanners are pure decoration - Gardners only use WW sizes................

8 hours ago, LEO said:

Sorry Guys, KK's winding you up, these are really 'Boys' Toys' fridge magnets ------- you used to re-arrange them when he was firing up the mighty Kelvin.

Now that I’ve sold the boat with the Kelvin, I can stop being a “poser” and get back to anonymous boating again with a 1.8 BMC.

Anyone with an interesting engine will know that it attracts camera-wielding passers-by who expect to see a show. There was never any real need to go through the rigmarole of starting on petrol, but it entertained the onlookers. People photographing the Kelvin appreciated having an interesting backdrop and spanners fixed to the wall just added to the theatricality of the occasion.

The real tools were kept well out of sight. :P

22 hours ago, LEO said:

Now those spanners are pure decoration - Gardners only use WW sizes................

Sort of. All the Walsh modern-ish bits that hang off the engine are metric. The last two bits of work needed to get the engine going again needed the metrics. Fuel filter bell housing busted and water circuit open heart surgery.

Touch centre one, pull out the right hand one, turn in a circle  before revolving the left one and then the side hatches open.  ;)

Just kidding.

I'll see if I have a picckie. Be back.

6 minutes ago, koukouvagia said:

Can you put me out of my misery and explain how on earth your knobs worK?  :unsure:

KK,

Quickly read this and it gave me a good @mondy

2 minutes ago, mark99 said:

Touch centre one, pull out the right hand one, turn in a circle  before revolving the left one and then the side hatches open.  ;)

Just kidding.

I'll see if I have a picckie. Be back.

This brings back memories of you boating pole painting .............Hope you are well.

M