Can Auto-Correct Be Switched Off ?

Featured Posts

If auto-correct could be 'taught' a full vocabulary it may help, but, as it stands I have to carefully read my post before clicking 'send', even then, once 'published' words totally out of context are substituted.

Latest one was substituting 'leak' with 'lean' so the boat didn't have a leak - it had a 'lean'.

Can the Auto-correct be disconnected, disabled or somehow removed - its annoying !!!!

Mine can in settings. It can be a bit of a maze to find it though. My phone is a Samsung J3. Autocorrect is the most idiotic thing ever put on a phone. Sometimes I cannot make head nor tail of some posts because the poster has relied on autocorrect and cannot be a***d to check the post content.

1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

What are you typing on? 

Acer Aspire Laptop with integral keyboard.

17 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

As others have said, auto-correct seems to be a feature of the device or browser.  I can turn off auto-correct (but it doesn't auto-correct, just underlines in red) in IE 11 by Tools - Manage Add-ons.

I get the 'wiggly red underline' but only if it is a spelling mistake.

If I were to type 'I've got a lean' instead of 'I've got a leak' then I would not get the wiggly-line.

Some software somewhere (forum or lap-top ??) decides it knows what I really meant to type and just changes it.

8 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Sounds like a browser thing. When I use my netbook with chromium browser there is no auto correct,although I do get the wriggly red line,and spellcheck can be disabled under settings,advanced menu

Edited by rusty69

7 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I get the 'wiggly red underline' but only if it is a spelling mistake.

If I were to type 'I've got a lean' instead of 'I've got a leak' then I would not get the wiggly-line.

Some software somewhere (forum or lap-top ??) decides it knows what I really meant to type and just changes it.

Autocomplete usually only applies to forms, websites, etc. but may extend further.  This page tells you how to change its settings in various browsers.

6 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Autocomplete usually only applies to forms, websites, etc. but may extend further.  This page tells you how to change its settings in various browsers.

Thanks I've done all that so we'll see what happens if I type leak

Edit - looking good !!!

Edited by Alan de Enfield

18 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

How can an intelligent spell checker change "infra red" to "infrequent red" as mentioned in another thread?

I guess that is more an instance of predictive text rather than auto-correction - its wordlists just didn't have "a" as a letter coming after "infr..", and infrequent could be the first possible word available to it alphabetically. Try typing "infrastructure" and see what it does to that.

8 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Now try typing"the quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dogs"

2 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

What do you get if you type Fuchsia?

The Fuchsia jumped over the infra red fox followed by the lazy dogs

Edit to add :

It now appears to amalgamate all sorts of statements - a bit frightening what it could come up with next.

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The Fuchsia jumped over the infra red fox followed by the lazy dogs

Now, to complete your beginners typing course, type:-

I'm not a pheasant plucker, I'm a pheasant plucker's son
I'm only plucking pheasants 'till the pheasant plucker comes.

5 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

What do you get if you type Fuchsia?

A warning from the mods. 

Edited by rusty69
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, cuthound said:

The autowrong on my Samsung tablet often makes up newith  by taking the last letter or two of the word I wrote, and adding a word beginning with those letters to make a long new nonsensical word.

It's weird or haunted.

Just noticed that it has done it in the above , "newith" instead of "new words"