Rear hatch locking

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, rustydiver said:

Im going to start to use the rear doors and hatch more on my semi trad, its easier to get on the boat that way, what do people do/ use to lock/ secure their doors from the outside.

Yale lock?

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Never I REPEAT .......NEVER display to the world that you are not onboard rusty!!  :blink:

They'll be in for a shock if someone breaks into our boat (onboard and rear padlocks currently in place).

The strategically placed eco fan will cut em to shreds

Edited by rusty69
shreds,not threads

9 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

They'll be in for a shock if someone breaks into our boat (onboard and rear padlocks currently in place).

The strategically placed eco fan will cut em to threads

And NEVER leave padlocks on when onboard as you cannot escape in event of fire :P

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

This is a load of whatsits. It is obvious when you are away cos the boat is cold and the chimney is cold and a hundred and one other things. 

You could just leave the doors open .What burgular would break into an open boat:)

47 minutes ago, jddevel said:

Please note that as your doors  will open outwards I suspect not all night latches (yale locks) will allow this ensure if fitting you specify "opening outwards"

In my experience you can take the backplate off and turn them over to suit, thats what i did with my present one which is a double locking jobbie.

Rick

• Greenie 1

I fitted one of these at home, but I think it could suit your application as it acts as a normal door latch (i.e. keeps the door closed but unlocked), but can be locked and unlocked from inside by turning the lever, or from outside by the key.

https://www.yale.co.uk/en/yale/couk/products/mechanical/nightlatches/81---rollerbolt-nightlatch-/

Edited by colinwilks

8 hours ago, dccruiser said:

definitely a yale or mortice lock ... padlocks advertise the fact you arent on board 

Rick

7 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Never I REPEAT .......NEVER display to the world that you are not onboard rusty!!  :blink:

Hmmm!!  Theory versus experience. The only time our boat got broken into was when we did not have a padlock on the rear doors !!

21 minutes ago, colinwilks said:

I fitted one of these at home, but I think it could suit your application as it acts as a normal door latch (i.e. keeps the door closed but unlocked), but can be locked and unlocked from inside by turning the lever, or from outside by the key.

https://www.yale.co.uk/en/yale/couk/products/mechanical/nightlatches/81---rollerbolt-nightlatch-/

Thats the type we have on the front door of the boat.

50 minutes ago, dccruiser said:

In my experience you can take the backplate off and turn them over to suit, thats what i did with my present one which is a double locking jobbie.

Rick

Thats how the front one is fitted.

13 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

Hmmm!!  Theory versus experience. The only time our boat got broken into was when we did not have a padlock on the rear doors !!

David

Its not theory its common sense. After near on thirty years of living aboard not hobby boating and after moving on my first boat the same year I left the Police I think I have a wee bit of experience on such matters. I shall explain it appears I need to. If you have padlocks especialy at both ends clasped on at the same time then the chances are there is no one aboard. If you have other locks such as yale then a greater risk has to be taken on the risky business of entry. Besides those that want to will get thro the padlocks in seconds anyway  just as they will smash a Yale or other in seconds. Do you have a padlock on the front and rear doors of your house to advertise when you are out? if not why not if they are so good.

10 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

If you have padlocks especialy at both ends clasped on at the same time then the chances are there is no one aboard

But we are talking about the rear doors/hatch, not the front.

We have two padlocks on rear (as I mentioned previously) one for the door,and one for the hatch. We have one padlock on the front hatch, and a yale for the main door. The side doors unlock from the inside to act as an escape hatch if required.

Having only managed 19 years on the same boat,and not yet broken into, we are not in the same league as you, so bow to your superior knowledge:)

• Greenie 1

27 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

David

Its not theory its common sense. After near on thirty years of living aboard not hobby boating and after moving on my first boat the same year I left the Police I think I have a wee bit of experience on such matters. I shall explain it appears I need to. If you have padlocks especialy at both ends clasped on at the same time then the chances are there is no one aboard. If you have other locks such as yale then a greater risk has to be taken on the risky business of entry. Besides those that want to will get thro the padlocks in seconds anyway  just as they will smash a Yale or other in seconds. Do you have a padlock on the front and rear doors of your house to advertise when you are out? if not why not if they are so good.

Your experience, and it's consequences is the opposite to mine. If you were living on your boat, it would have been occupied almost all the time, and therefore less likely to be broken into than mine, which was unoccupied most of the time, but it wasn't.

Edited by David Schweizer

If someone is determined to get in then all the padlocks/mortice locks/yale locks won't stop them (I have however found a 7 stone GSD quite helpful)

What you're doing is trying to make life awkward for a casual thief (bone idle ned/junkie...insert other descriptions here). If it's too difficult for them they'll go find an easier target.

• Greenie 1

13 minutes ago, 13-10 said:

If someone is determined to get in then all the padlocks/mortice locks/yale locks won't stop them (I have however found a 7 stone GSD quite helpful)

What you're doing is trying to make life awkward for a casual thief (bone idle ned/junkie...insert other descriptions here). If it's too difficult for them they'll go find an easier target.

The very best bit of kit for houses or boats is a large dog. We only have a puny lab at present but anyone coming in with us not there would wish the hadn't. An alsation or whatever you want to call it is ideal :)

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

The very best bit of kit for houses or boats is a large dog. We only have a puny lab at present but anyone coming in with us not there would wish the hadn't. An alsation or whatever you want to call it is ideal :)

I also have a Lab and like you rightly say wouldnt rate anyones chances if they managed to get into the boat in my absence :) 

Rick