Infrequent Red Thermometers

Dr Bob

Featured Posts

32 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I don't recall ever reading a book! 

you didn't read it - you wrote it! at least the first line.https://www.google.co.uk/aclk?sa=l&ai=DChcSEwiHvLyli77ZAhXrte0KHfohCR0YABABGgJkZw&sig=AOD64_1gr0nhOUxvTZ8RQNj9RTSB3zTnXA&ctype=5&q=&ved=0ahUKEwiZmLeli77ZAhVBAsAKHah5CZoQ9aACCDQ&adurl=

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

1 minute ago, Dr Bob said:

The problem with changing avatars is that it creates a spoiler for those who are a bit slow. I knew " it was a dark and stormy night" before your post cause I saw your avatar. Same effect as a time machine.

Sorry, i'm a bit slow:)

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Sorry, i'm a bit slow:)

Nice avatar again though.

11 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

9 hours slept better last night very glad after nightmares the night before about yesterdays proceedure in an australian cottage hospital ( tin hut). Always worry that they will get the mornings clinic mixed up with the pms . However glad to say came round from anaesthetic with sore throat.

ward sister concerned that i wished to inspect the sluice as part of my admission process...

Nb after mid april we should be in sync with uk time

Some people have all the excuses! In hospital for a procedure! More time to reply to posts. :giggles:

.......hope it went well.:)

2 hours ago, OldGoat said:

Back on topic (perish the thought...) -

Which occasional thermometer is this discussion (nominally) about. Lots on fleabay with just as many prices as posts on here??

You're only allowed one post on topic!

I bought it from Screwfix (in December) but they are not listing it anymore. A very similar one (I would think) is listed at

https://www.screwfix.com/p/stanley-stht0-77365-infrared-non-contact-digital-thermometer/8374j

Probably as good fun. Similar price and you get it the same day you buy it so instant gratification if you can afford the battery.

3 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

You're only allowed one post on topic!

I bought it from Screwfix (in December) but they are not listing it anymore. A very similar one (I would think) is listed at

https://www.screwfix.com/p/stanley-stht0-77365-infrared-non-contact-digital-thermometer/8374j

Probably as good fun. Similar price and you get it the same day you buy it so instant gratification if you can afford the battery.

Thanks Dr. B. They look rather similar (well, the case does) to offerings on eBay.

5 hours ago, system 4-50 said:

Or there's even the original novel by Bulwer-Lytton, free from Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Paul-Clifford-Baron-Edward-Bulwer-Lytton-ebook/dp/B00847H6JO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1519477945&sr=8-2&keywords=Paul+Clifford

The blurb describes the opening line as its "infamous incipit", which I rather liked. Bulwer-Lytton was a massively popular Victorian novelist, now mainly known, if at all, for The Last Days of Pompeii. He also coined the phrases "the great unwashed" and "the pen is mightier than the sword". His style is now often referred to as purple prose.

Mrs Rusty just retrieved a bottle of Red from our booze stash to accompany this evenings spam and chips. 

The question is, what is the best temperature to consume red wine, and would an infrequent red thermomoter assess this without me getting out of my comfy chair. 

Edited by rusty69

49 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Mrs Rusty just retrieved a bottle of Red from our booze stash to accompany this evenings spam and chips. 

The question is, what is the best temperature to consume red wine, and would an infrequent red thermomoter assess this without me getting out of my comfy chair. 

If you were drinking the wine at 58°C,  then an infrequent red thermometer would be ideal. Mine works well on my tea and coffee at  this temperature and is spot on, calibrated against one of those glass thingies that has that silver thing in that goes up and down. However at lower temperatures there may be level of uncertainty creeping in. If say you wanted to drink it at 12 °C, then you may need to look for a temp of 15°C if you infrequent red thermometer has a 3°C offset. You need to establish your offset first. Mrs Bob's method for this is to measure the temp with the infrequent thingy. Write down the result. Drink the glass of wine and give a mark out of 10 for wether it was the right temperature. Let the wine heat up a bit and test again and drink another glass. Repeat until the highest mark for the tasting is reached. At that point you have calibrated your infrequent thingy and can dispense with  the testing. Alternatively, have you tried mulled wine. 58°C is good.

Mrs Bob frequently has to repeat the testing as she 'forgets' to write down the results during testing.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

If you were drinking the wine at 58°C,  then an infrequent red thermometer would be ideal. Mine works well on my tea and coffee at  this temperature and is spot on, calibrated against one of those glass thingies that has that silver thing in that goes up and down. However at lower temperatures there may be level of uncertainty creeping in. If say you wanted to drink it at 12 °C, then you may need to look for a temp of 15°C if you infrequent red thermometer has a 3°C offset. You need to establish your offset first. Mrs Bob's method for this is to measure the temp with the infrequent thingy. Write down the result. Drink the glass of wine and give a mark out of 10 for wether it was the right temperature. Let the wine heat up a bit and test again and drink another glass. Repeat until the highest mark for the tasting is reached. At that point you have calibrated your infrequent thingy and can dispense with  the testing. Alternatively, have you tried mulled wine. 58°C is good.

Mrs Bob frequently has to repeat the testing as she 'forgets' to write down the results during testing.

If I invest in one, I will advise Mrs Rusty about Mrs Bobs method.I think it is one she would approve of.I suspect a number of bottles need to be tested in order to get optimum temperature.

Clearly forgetting to write the results down is a must.

I don't much like mould wine.

11 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

If I invest in one, I will advise Mrs Rusty about Mrs Bobs method.I think it is one she would approve of.I suspect a number of bottles need to be tested in order to get optimum temperature.

Clearly forgetting to write the results down is a must.

I don't much like mould wine.

I dont much like wine.

• 1 year later...
On 22/02/2018 at 09:51, Dr Bob said:

Rusty was adamant I should post this thread to let you all know how good they are so you too can all go out and buy one. It is the best toy I have bought for the boat this year.

Well, I finally succumbed, and bought my first infrequent red thermometer. It has two little red dots. I have been pointing these dots at everything on the boat including Mrs Rusty's bra. 

So thanks again Dr Bob, not only do I have a baby equaliser and a teltonika. I have a novelty toy which will get infrequent use. 

Please be sure to tell me what you will be purchasing next. 

Thanks. 

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

I have been pointing these dots at everything on the boat including Mrs Rusty's bra. 

Not in her eyes though, eh Rusty.  Would you trust a cheapo Chinese manufacturer's word that when building your cheapo plastic Infrequent Red Thermometer he really has gone to the expense of an Eye Safe laser for you to play with?

4 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Not in her eyes though, eh Rusty.  Would you trust a cheapo Chinese manufacturer's word that when building your cheapo plastic Infrequent Red Thermometer he really has gone to the expense of an Eye Safe laser for you to play with?

Well, I am glad I posted now. If not for your health and safety warning Sea dog,Mrs Rusty could now well be without sight.

A huge thanks.

Anyway, who said it was cheap.