Infrequent Red Thermometers

Dr Bob

Featured Posts

7 hours ago, Taslim said:

I bought a constantly yellow thermometer but I believe they work on the same principal.

Useful for checking battery banks for rouge cells, wires for duff joints and engines for lazy cylinders

Oh and for pointing at anything and everything when 'under occupied'.

A yellow one! It must be called Stanley.

I am glad to see I am not the only one to be 'under occupied' on the boat at this time of year.

19 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

A yellow one! It must be called Stanley.

I am glad to see I am not the only one to be 'under occupied' on the boat at this time of year.

It's more usually called 'Put that bloody thing down and get on with the...........'

Boat nothing. I was at work and calibrating a big controller.  A yawn a minute at any time of year.

ETA. Bruce post14.  I blame the smell wrecker.

Edited by Taslim
spell check run riot.

49 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

BBC4 now a program about temperature, might advise how to measure the sun. 

I missed the prog this evening as I was watching Big Bang Theory. This sun measurement issue has led me to think whether my instrument is calibrated. I'm dubious, when it gets to 100, if I can believe it but at 90 down to 50 it seems pretty good. As cuthound said though, it doesn't  have to be accurate to point it at other boats. Any one else thinks theirs need calibrating?

Maybe I should buy another one to put my mind at rest and the have two to play with? If they don't line up with each other it would give me an excuse to moan about them in every other thread for the next twelve months.....:giggles:

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Maybe I should buy another one to put my mind at rest and the have two to play with? If they don't line up with each other it would give me an excuse to moan about them in every other thread for the next twelve months

You need to buy another two, not one, incase they are different. 

You can check its calibrated by measuring some boiling water or some ice,or some boiling ice. 

Edited by rusty69

10 hours ago, rusty69 said:

You need to buy another two, not one, incase they are different. 

You can check its calibrated by measuring some boiling water or some ice,or some boiling ice. 

I actually did have a go at checking the calibration. At -19°C, the freezer temperature it was spot on at -19°C. 100% accuracy if we ignore decimals. I like ignoring decimals. However at 4°C, the fridge temperature it was reading 7°C which is nearly 100% out, or is that 200% out? It is over reading by 3 °C at 4°C. I have tried it on the cut when it is iced over, so I assume near zero, and it reads 3°C so that is 3° out at zero. Is that a 3 million% error? As it gets hotter it seems about right and 20°C seems about 20°C. I must try it on some boiling water.

At high temps it really doesnt matter. Actually at low temperatures it really doesnt matter.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

I actually did have a go at checking the calibration. At -19°C, the freezer temperature it was spot on at -19°C. 100% accuracy if we ignore decimals. I like ignoring decimals. However at 4°C, the fridge temperature it was reading 7°C which is nearly 100% out, or is that 200% out? It is over reading by 3 °C at 4°C. I have tried it on the cut when it is iced over, so I assume near zero, and it reads 3°C so that is 3° out at zero. Is that a 3 million% error? As it gets hotter it seems about right and 20°C seems about 20°C. I must try it on some boiling water.

At high temps it really doesnt matter. Actually at low temperatures it really doesnt matter.

It sounds to me like it belongs in a special cupboard along with the eco fan and.......... 

• Haha 1

Public  health warning  Red Thermometer...would hope your red thermometer  use is infrequent... and i am shocked that no one else has drawn your attention to appalling mistake you have made.

A red thermometer a red thermometer...indeed.

in the medical profession in which i was loosely associated for many years us male lunatic attendant students ( yes we were called that) had to go and work in a medical ward,  to get medical experience.the general nurses hated us.

A dangerous place for free thinking menal elf students. The command was simple ' dont talk to the patients and hide in the sluice the rest of the time. We used to get yoyos to practice tricks on to entertain...

i digress strangely, 

anyway suffice to say there are several points at which a humans internal temperature can be taken ( guessed where this is going yet? ) if you are in a good mood you get a silver tip thermometer and stick it in an armpit, if you are in a bad mood  or want the patient to shut up  ( good in mental heath) you get a blue or black tip one and apply it to the place the noise is coming from. However if you are in a really foul mood  you get a RED THERMOMETER turn the patient on their front and.. ill stop now and leave it to your imagination.

i appreciate nowadays that its all digital disposable and stick on , but believe me in my day the sight of a 6ft tall unshaven wild looking bloke leaving the hospital sluice brandishing a red thermometer  and a yoyo and shouting 'give me a go its me first one' would strike fear in the ward, second only to the announcement' sister i seem to have lost the red thermometer somewhere'

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

and....... what?

A rubber egg whisk? A plastic mooring pin? What did you have in mind? Com'on spill the beans.

...Well ,I've just checked the cupboard to see if I can fit in the fan and the flue thermometer, but there is no room.The cuboard already contains:-

One partridge complete with pair tree

Two turtle doves

Three French hens

Four calling birds

and........

Five gold rings.

Still, I am certain these items will come in handy,else I will donate them to Aunty Rainbow for her auction.

3 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

i digress strangely, 

I think Roland need to up his game. We are getting some very informative, esoteric and often funny posts, but they all turn up at the wrong time of the day. He doesnt answer posts for 8 hours so never a chance of a fast interchange of important information to get to the bottom of an issue. Now being 10 hours out of phase is just no excuse. Why dont you try and pre empt what we are going to post, prepare the responses in advance and then get the laptop to send the at the predetermined time? ........now an 8hr wait 'till Roland replies!

9 hours slept better last night very glad after nightmares the night before about yesterdays proceedure in an australian cottage hospital ( tin hut). Always worry that they will get the mornings clinic mixed up with the pms . However glad to say came round from anaesthetic with sore throat.

ward sister concerned that i wished to inspect the sluice as part of my admission process...

Nb after mid april we should be in sync with uk time

• Greenie 1

On 22/02/2018 at 09:51, Dr Bob said:

Firstly, an apology. I keep trying to type "Infra red" thermometers but this damn auto spell check....which is now totally out of control...changes it to " Infrequent Red" Themometers.

Rusty was adamant I should post this thread to let you all know how good they are so you too can all go out and buy one. It is the best toy I have bought for the boat this year. I know some of you will have read this on another thread this morning but Rusty thinks it is vital to get the message out to the whole community.

I got mine to monitor stove temperatrue while doing the ultimate ecofan test with the Duck. That has now been done, proven and everyone except Mrsmelly (nearly) now agrees with the outcome...but the infrequent red thermometer? Yes it measure stove top temperatures up around 200°C well and flue pipes (that's what the other thread was about)....but what else? Well, you can sit in your recliner (well I would but I havent got one ....its on order...and due in in a couple of weeks) and measure everything in the cabin. You can measure your hot cup of coffee so that you dont burn your tongue when you sip it. I really do get bored on board in winter! You can shine it at the duck to see if he is still alive. The duck doesnt like it - when he sees the red spot on his head he dives for cover. You can measure battery temperature if you can be bothered to lift the deck boards. You can measure the water temperature and see if it's frozen, although there is probably a better method of accessing if there is ice around.

What do you do with yours? Rusty suggested I measure the temperature of the sun. It's not shown up today though.

Probably the best toy I have bought for a long time and very useful for those on the cusp of loosing the will to live prior to the weather warming up and we can all get out (which wont be next week). You can get them for around £40 from screwfix although you will need a mortgage extension to by the required PP9. Go out and buy one today and report back with what you can do with it.

You should go out more Baab, not necessarily Bankside.. 

• Haha 1