Infrequent Red Thermometers

Dr Bob

Featured Posts

21 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Well, I finally succumbed, and bought my first infrequent red thermometer. It has two little red dots. I have been pointing these dots at everything on the boat including Mrs Rusty's bra. 

So thanks again Dr Bob, not only do I have a baby equaliser and a teltonika. I have a novelty toy which will get infrequent use. 

Please be sure to tell me what you will be purchasing next. 

Thanks. 

Funny you should mention that (the purchasing question).

I was thinking of what has been the best buy of the year as I lay in bed last night ......as you do.

The winner has to be 2 wheelbarrow wheels for 7 squid each from Aldi. We can park anywhere now. Very boring I know.

In second place is Alexa. We got one a few weeks back after seeing one in action at sprog number 3's house. You can shout at it and it does things. The louder you shout, more likely it is to do what you want. It turns sockets on and off. It plays music. It tells you if its raining. It tells you if Liverpool have won.

The music is actually the best bit. Mrs Bob has for the past 3 years moaned we have no radio on the bote....to listen to as we pootle along. We always listen to the radio when in the car. Now 70 squid for a 'glorified radio' seems a bit steep but actually it is great. We put it at the bottom of the stairs at the back of the bote and play all our playlists (in amazon musik) as we dawdle down the cut. Yesterday was heaven listening to 'sad eyed lady of the lowlands' in the sunshine. Far better than a radio and so much simpler than trying to manipulate all the mp3 files I have and playing them through something that you can actually hear the speaker from. The voice control is really neat. You do of course need a teltronika to operate with it but I am struggling to get Alexa to interact with the 5 blade baby equaliser.

8 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Oi - I deleted that!  You might be able to measure bats in the dark.

You would have to ask Sir Geoff about Bat ability. Glad to see I have dragged you down to my gutter level humour:)

Edited by rusty69
you, not toy

1 minute ago, Dr Bob said:

In second place is Alexa. We got one a few weeks back after seeing one in action at sprog number 3's house. You can shout at it and it does things. The louder you shout, more likely it is to do what you want.

Whilst this may seem effective, the boys and girls at GCHQ have asked that you use normal voice levels as you are hurting their ears.

2 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Funny you should mention that (the purchasing question).

I was thinking of what has been the best buy of the year as I lay in bed last night ......as you do.

The winner has to be 2 wheelbarrow wheels for 7 squid each from Aldi. We can park anywhere now. Very boring I know.

In second place is Alexa. We got one a few weeks back after seeing one in action at sprog number 3's house. You can shout at it and it does things. The louder you shout, more likely it is to do what you want. It turns sockets on and off. It plays music. It tells you if its raining. It tells you if Liverpool have won.

The music is actually the best bit. Mrs Bob has for the past 3 years moaned we have no radio on the bote....to listen to as we pootle along. We always listen to the radio when in the car. Now 70 squid for a 'glorified radio' seems a bit steep but actually it is great. We put it at the bottom of the stairs at the back of the bote and play all our playlists (in amazon musik) as we dawdle down the cut. Yesterday was heaven listening to 'sad eyed lady of the lowlands' in the sunshine. Far better than a radio and so much simpler than trying to manipulate all the mp3 files I have and playing them through something that you can actually hear the speaker from. The voice control is really neat. You do of course need a teltronika to operate with it but I am struggling to get Alexa to interact with the 5 blade baby equaliser.

So you spend 5 quid on some wheels, result happy.

Over a grand on Lithium batteries.....no mention.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

In second place is Alexa. We got one a few weeks back after seeing one in action at sprog number 3's house. You can shout at it and it does things. The louder you shout, more likely it is to do what you want. It turns sockets on and off. It plays music. It tells you if its raining. It tells you if Liverpool have won

Sounds like Mrs Rusty...............except for the Liverpool results.

13 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Far better than a radio and so much simpler than trying to manipulate all the mp3 files I have and playing them through something that you can actually hear the speaker from.

Being a tight git, all we have is a bluetooth speaker connected to the phone.

3 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Does it only work when it is 6 inches away.....ie you only have one spot.

Sea Dogs got more spots than that.

Its more to do with the spot size.How big are Sea dogs?I think he has 42!

IMG_20190911_120302.jpg

Edited by rusty69

2 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

My god. That's more complicated than my baby equaliser.

Oh bugger! My throtle cable has just snapped. Limpped a mile on to the nearest armco and called RCR. Guess we'll be here for most of the afternoon.

Ooops.You should take a leaf out of mrsmelly's book and carry a spare boat.

14 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Ooops.You should take a leaf out of mrsmelly's book and carry a spare boat.

Same thing happened a couple of years ago and I remember the RCR guy having a bit of a battle getting the lever thingy out (is it the morse control lever?). I think I will watch this time and then get a spare cable as this looks like it is a consumable item now. We do carry lots of spares but not to the extent smelly does.

23 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Same thing happened a couple of years ago and I remember the RCR guy having a bit of a battle getting the lever thingy out (is it the morse control lever?). I think I will watch this time and then get a spare cable as this looks like it is a consumable item now. We do carry lots of spares but not to the extent smelly does.

Probably a Morse/Teleflex (not Morso/Teltonika).They are the most common. It should last longer than 2 years though. I blame number 1 son.

Have a look on ASAP or aquafax, they usually have loads.

Edited by rusty69

59 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

I think the later ones were called Lewis control levers. ? ?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

My god. That's more complicated than my baby equaliser.

Oh bugger! My throtle cable has just snapped. Limpped a mile on to the nearest armco and called RCR. Guess we'll be here for most of the afternoon.

Humph. Serves you right for plaguing everyone else on the cut with your choice of “music” whilst shouting at Alexa.

:giggles:

Hope RCR get you going again quickly ?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Well,if Dr Bob has one on them as a throttle,it would explain why he hasn't been back for three hours. Either that or he has found a large gin house up the Ashby.

Dont panic all.

Phoned RCR at 12 ish and they  turned up at half three with cable in hand. Back on our way by 4 ish.

I must get myself a spare for the next time it goes. Could do with one of those Lewis thingies to thin out the traffic on the north oxford. It's not still August is it?

• Happy 1