Infrequent Red Thermometers

Dr Bob

Featured Posts

Firstly, an apology. I keep trying to type "Infra red" thermometers but this damn auto spell check....which is now totally out of control...changes it to " Infrequent Red" Themometers.

Rusty was adamant I should post this thread to let you all know how good they are so you too can all go out and buy one. It is the best toy I have bought for the boat this year. I know some of you will have read this on another thread this morning but Rusty thinks it is vital to get the message out to the whole community.

I got mine to monitor stove temperatrue while doing the ultimate ecofan test with the Duck. That has now been done, proven and everyone except Mrsmelly (nearly) now agrees with the outcome...but the infrequent red thermometer? Yes it measure stove top temperatures up around 200°C well and flue pipes (that's what the other thread was about)....but what else? Well, you can sit in your recliner (well I would but I havent got one ....its on order...and due in in a couple of weeks) and measure everything in the cabin. You can measure your hot cup of coffee so that you dont burn your tongue when you sip it. I really do get bored on board in winter! You can shine it at the duck to see if he is still alive. The duck doesnt like it - when he sees the red spot on his head he dives for cover. You can measure battery temperature if you can be bothered to lift the deck boards. You can measure the water temperature and see if it's frozen, although there is probably a better method of accessing if there is ice around.

What do you do with yours? Rusty suggested I measure the temperature of the sun. It's not shown up today though.

Probably the best toy I have bought for a long time and very useful for those on the cusp of loosing the will to live prior to the weather warming up and we can all get out (which wont be next week). You can get them for around £40 from screwfix although you will need a mortgage extension to by the required PP9. Go out and buy one today and report back with what you can do with it.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Firstly, an apology. I keep trying to type "Infra red" thermometers but this damn auto spell check....which is now totally out of control...changes it to " Infrequent Red" Themometers.

Rusty was adamant I should post this thread to let you all know how good they are so you too can all go out and buy one. It is the best toy I have bought for the boat this year. I know some of you will have read this on another thread this morning but Rusty thinks it is vital to get the message out to the whole community.

I got mine to monitor stove temperatrue while doing the ultimate ecofan test with the Duck. That has now been done, proven and everyone except Mrsmelly (nearly) now agrees with the outcome...but the infrequent red thermometer? Yes it measure stove top temperatures up around 200°C well and flue pipes (that's what the other thread was about)....but what else? Well, you can sit in your recliner (well I would but I havent got one ....its on order...and due in in a couple of weeks) and measure everything in the cabin. You can measure your hot cup of coffee so that you dont burn your tongue when you sip it. I really do get bored on board in winter! You can shine it at the duck to see if he is still alive. The duck doesnt like it - when he sees the red spot on his head he dives for cover. You can measure battery temperature if you can be bothered to lift the deck boards. You can measure the water temperature and see if it's frozen, although there is probably a better method of accessing if there is ice around.

What do you do with yours? Rusty suggested I measure the temperature of the sun. It's not shown up today though.

Probably the best toy I have bought for a long time and very useful for those on the cusp of loosing the will to live prior to the weather warming up and we can all get out (which wont be next week). You can get them for around £40 from screwfix although you will need a mortgage extension to by the required PP9. Go out and buy one today and report back with what you can do with it.

I bought a constantly yellow thermometer but I believe they work on the same principal.

Useful for checking battery banks for rouge cells, wires for duff joints and engines for lazy cylinders

Oh and for pointing at anything and everything when 'under occupied'.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Taslim said:

Useful for checking battery banks for rouge cells

If the batteries have turned rouge, I should slap the breakers open and then run for it :giggles:

Seriously, I've found mine handy for checking the fridge temp when I was suspicious of the thermostat. Hadn't thought of pointing it at speeding boats, nice one.

Please visit my Emporium for Electronic Curios.  We have oscillating lasers that look like an infradig thermometer being wielded, giving an air of occupancy & detering intruders. We also have flash guns that are triggered by (all) passing boats, simulating speed cameras. We have a super security device but we can't give you any details as that would breach the security (even if you buy the device).  And we we have a host of other goodies available to the discerning boater.

Edited by system 4-50

Now Rusty asked me if I had measured the temperature of the sun. Well it came out this afternoon so I had a go. The temp was -273°C. I was confused so tried a few things. Now interestingly if I measure our flue pipe from 8' away get 72°C. Move away a foot and it reads 71°C. Move away another foot and it is 70°c. Obvioulsy then for distant objects, the temperature decreases for each foot away. Now by my reckoning, the sun is 93,000,000 miles away so that is 450,000,000,000 feet away. That means the infrequent red thermometer will be whatever the temp of the sun is......say 1,000,000°C minus 450,000,000,000 which is 449,999,000,000°C. As this is ridiculus, things cant be colder than -273°C, then the infrequent red thermometer must be right and the sun must be quite hot.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Now Rusty asked me if I had measured the temperature of the sun. Well it came out this afternoon so I had a go. The temp was -273°C. I was confused so tried a few things. Now interestingly if I measure our flue pipe from 8' away get 72°C. Move away a foot and it reads 71°C. Move away another foot and it is 70°c. Obvioulsy then for distant objects, the temperature decreases for each foot away. Now by my reckoning, the sun is 93,000,000 miles away so that is 450,000,000,000 feet away. That means the infrequent red thermometer will be whatever the temp of the sun is......say 1,000,000°C minus 450,000,000,000 which is 449,999,000,000°C. As this is ridiculus, things cant be colder than -273°C, then the infrequent red thermometer must be right and the sun must be quite hot.

You sure you wasn't measuring Kevin, he's -273 degrees.

Try getting closer to the sun, it may be more accurate.I spose you could wait til the Sun gets closer to you, but summer doesn't start until 1st March according to mrsmelly.

You could also send the duck closer to the sun by attaching the I.R thingy to him.Did you say he was named Duckarus?

ETA.You did see the red dot clearly on the sun whilst you were taking the measurement I assume?

Edited by rusty69

43 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

You sure you wasn't measuring Kevin, he's -273 degrees.

Try getting closer to the sun, it may be more accurate.I spose you could wait til the Sun gets closer to you, but summer doesn't start until 1st March according to mrsmelly.

You could also send the duck closer to the sun by attaching the I.R thingy to him.Did you say he was named Duckarus?

ETA.You did see the red dot clearly on the sun whilst you were taking the measurement I assume?

No, I couldnt see the red dot on the sun. Maybe I was aiming into outer space instead. Good point.

I think you are right about waiting until the sun gets closer. Are you sure this is by 1st March? Will I need to put sun tan cream on if I try it again next Thursday?

1 minute ago, Dr Bob said:

No, I couldnt see the red dot on the sun. Maybe I was aiming into outer space instead. Good point.

Ah, that a rookie mistake. You obviously need to hit the sun first time, otherwise, as you say, you will be measuring the temperature of outer space.